Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: More Banjo: Week 6 vs Cowboys

Senior Rat All-Pro oldbutnotdeadyet's Avatar
    'A Rodgers is playing at an average level for a QB in the NFL--not average for him, average for a QB'

Cant agree with this. Lately, and today especially, Rodgers plain ass looks bad.

'Where is the stud ballplayer who digs out plays?'

Right, and what scares me is other than Rodgers in his prime, maybe we don't have any?

'And how on earth are the Packers this injured again?'

How much longer will MM be able to milk this old excuse?

I will always be a believer in the packers. MM and TT, not so much.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    All the apocalyptic takes seem overdone for Week 6 (Game 5). Long season yet.

McCarthy has already been changing the offense. Players need to catchup.
    I noticed that too. I wasn't sure of how much of it had to do with their RB situation but he threw a lot of new stuff out there and they huddled a lot. They had a few 5 WR sets, too. We haven't seen that in some time.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro ~Hunter S.

Michael Cohen ‏@Michael_Cohen13 11h11 hours ago
    Mike McCarthy was asked if his offense is broken: "I don't know if I agree with broken. It's definitely not clean in some areas." #Packers

GreenBayMMA @WBAMMA
    replied with

Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

In the end, the diagnosis for this offense in the Cowboys game is similar to one we have made before. If forced to run and pass for short gains, this offense struggles to get deep into enemy territory and then struggles anew in the red zone.

Mcgann's game write up hints at this but doesn't get to the conclusion. He admits the numbers look better this week than others, but claims they are all garbage time stats. But you can;t say that and then list all the scoring chances they blew. With 3 lost turnovers they still had 380 yards an multiple chances to score.

The inability to hit big plays is killing them. The other parts of the offense have the same liabilities in long, multi play drives as they have for years. Does anyone think a healthy Starks really changes the game?

A last point about Bob, after conceding that Lacy had enough production to balance the O, he blasts the team for being shorthanded again. You can't have it both ways.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

JS Comments ‏@JSComments 14m14 minutes ago
    The Packers got rid of James Jones, Tim Masthay, George Kuhn from last year's squad and replaced them with cheaper talent.

Its so obvious I missed it.

In the end, the diagnosis for this offense in the Cowboys game is similar to one we have made before. If forced to run and pass for short gains, this offense struggles to get deep into enemy territory and then struggles anew in the red zone.
    We are forced to short throws because Rodgers has not been accurate enough to hit guys downfield anymore. They were there several times yesterday, and Rodgers missed nearly every one...he hit Jordy on that nice throw late down the sideline, but I can't remember too many other throws of 25+ yards where Rodgers was on target. Even on some of the shorter throws, he was short-arming it at guys feet and making one of the worst INTs I've seen since Favre was here...and at least Favre hit guys downfield once in awhile. Hell, I saw BROCK F-ING OSWEILER make throws downfield and hit guys in the 4th quarter of his game last night. BROCK F-ING OSWEILER!

Rodgers missed throw after throw after throw to the point where Troy Aikman, who rarely says anything critical of an elite level QB, was starting to sound like he couldn't believe what he was seeing.

The problem with the offense isn't necessarily the scheme...we need some air freshener for sure to clean up what has gone stale, but guys were open at times yesterday and Rodgers had the time in the pocket to be able to hit them. The issue is the guy under center. It appears that Rodgers has physical issues with mechanics and mental issues with confidence at this point. He's a mess. The worst thing about this is that Stubby, who is supposedly a QB whisperer, doesn't seem to have the first clue in how to fix him since this is going on a full season's worth of games at this point.
    It's such a GOOD feeling...13 TIME WORLD CHAMPIONS!!

Quote Originally Posted by Smidgeon View Post
    And how on earth are the Packers this injured again? 3 CBs, 1.5 RB, 1 TE, 1 OL, 1 WR, etc, etc, etc.
    Because we don't play ANYBODY in the preseason. You can't be scared of getting hurt...because that will only guarantee that you will get hurt. It is just like a guy who holds out all training camp and immediately comes back and tweaks his hammy.

YOU HAVE TO PRACTICE LIKE YOU ARE GOING TO PLAY, and this team needs to start taking preseason way more seriously.

Senior Rat All-Pro oldbutnotdeadyet's Avatar
    Michael Cohen ‏@Michael_Cohen13 11h11 hours ago
    Mike McCarthy was asked if his offense is broken: "I don't know if I agree with broken. It's definitely not clean in some areas." #Packers

GreenBayMMA @WBAMMA
    replied with

Ahh, no, sorry MM, the offense is broken...

Senior Rat HOFer Maxie the Taxi's Avatar
    We went into the game knowing our starting RCB was out, our starting LCB was questionable, our starting slot CB was questionable, meaning our game-CB's would be Gunter, Hawkins and Goodson. What did we do to compensate? We primarily sent four players to rush the passer and dropped seven into coverage. How'd that work out? We sacked Prescott twice and hurried him once. Prescott passed for 274 yds., 3 TD's and a 117.4 passer rating.

Maybe the above strategy was employed to contain the fearsome Zeke Elliott, you say. How'd that work out? Elliott ran for 157 yds. on 28 attempts.

A defeatist might say there was nothing we could do. The Cowboy's Oline is just too good and our injuries just too devastating. A critic might say we tried to stop the run and dared the rookie sensation QB to beat us, and he did. A cynic might say we weren't as good against the run as we thought we were, so we should have have blitzed the hell out of the rookie QB sensation and dared Elliot to beat us.

Are you a defeatist, a critic or a cynic?

On offense, our world-class QB had all the time in the world to pass but still couldn't connect on big plays that were there for the taking AND threw a bonehead interception AND was careless with his ball-handling, putting the rock on the ground inside the opponent's 5-yd. line. I don't know what to think about that.
    One time Lombardi was disgusted with the team in practice and told them they were going to have to start with the basics. He held up a ball and said: "This is a football." McGee immediately called out, "Stop, coach, you're going too fast," and that gave everyone a laugh.
    John Maxymuk, Packers By The Numbers

Quote Originally Posted by Maxie the Taxi View Post
    We went into the game knowing our starting RCB was out, our starting LCB was questionable, our starting slot CB was questionable, meaning our game-CB's would be Gunter, Hawkins and Goodson. What did we do to compensate? We primarily sent four players to rush the passer and dropped seven into coverage. How'd that work out? We sacked Prescott twice and hurried him once. Prescott passed for 274 yds., 3 TD's and a 117.4 passer rating.

Maybe the above strategy was employed to contain the fearsome Zeke Elliott, you say. How'd that work out? Elliott ran for 157 yds. on 28 attempts.

A defeatist might say there was nothing we could do. The Cowboy's Oline is just too good and our injuries just too devastating. A critic might say we tried to stop the run and dared the rookie sensation QB to beat us, and he did. A cynic might say we weren't as good against the run as we thought we were, so we should have have blitzed the hell out of the rookie QB sensation and dared Elliot to beat us.

Are you a defeatist, a critic or a cynic?

On offense, our world-class QB had all the time in the world to pass but still couldn't connect on big plays that were there for the taking AND threw a bonehead interception AND was careless with his ball-handling, putting the rock on the ground inside the opponent's 5-yd. line. I don't know what to think about that.
    I think given the injury situation, there was little chance the defense was going to really shut down Dallas. Rodgers and his receivers needed to put this team on their back. Instead, they produced 1 TD (after the game was pretty much decided), and turned the ball over 4 times.

Right now Rodgers is an average NFL starting QB, and the team is slightly above average. They beat the mediocre teams and lose to the top teams. They are 3-2 and hold the last playoff spot. That's what they are. Any improvement or decline from that will likely depend on a change in the level of Rodgers' play.

Quote Originally Posted by King Friday View Post
    We are forced to short throws because Rodgers has not been accurate enough to hit guys downfield anymore. They were there several times yesterday, and Rodgers missed nearly every one...he hit Jordy on that nice throw late down the sideline, but I can't remember too many other throws of 25+ yards where Rodgers was on target. Even on some of the shorter throws, he was short-arming it at guys feet and making one of the worst INTs I've seen since Favre was here...and at least Favre hit guys downfield once in awhile. Hell, I saw BROCK F-ING OSWEILER make throws downfield and hit guys in the 4th quarter of his game last night. BROCK F-ING OSWEILER!

Rodgers missed throw after throw after throw to the point where Troy Aikman, who rarely says anything critical of an elite level QB, was starting to sound like he couldn't believe what he was seeing.

The problem with the offense isn't necessarily the scheme...we need some air freshener for sure to clean up what has gone stale, but guys were open at times yesterday and Rodgers had the time in the pocket to be able to hit them. The issue is the guy under center. It appears that Rodgers has physical issues with mechanics and mental issues with confidence at this point. He's a mess. The worst thing about this is that Stubby, who is supposedly a QB whisperer, doesn't seem to have the first clue in how to fix him since this is going on a full season's worth of games at this point.
    He was closer to his deep throws yesterday than he has been in a while. That was one of the few upsides.

His accuracy dove as he was asked to do more offense from outside the pocket or after 3 seconds of pass blocking. If they are going to change the offense back to one that emphasizes getting receivers open quickly and taking the short throw, he has to work on that part of his game.

But he isn't going to complete more than 75% of his passes normally. The problem is which of those passes hit. Not enough for big yardage.

M3 PC

Tom Silverstein ‏@TomSilverstein 55m55 minutes ago
    McCarthy on Montgomery: We need to get Ty the ball. And we need to get Randall Cobb the ball more. Ty has shown ability to play running back

Packer Report ‏@PackerReport 54m54 minutes ago
    MM not pleased with Montgomery's fumbles. "Ball security's A-Number 1." ... "Four turnovers is totally unacceptable."

Green Bay Packers ‏@packers 54m54 minutes ago
    McCarthy: Ball security is A-No. 1. Four turnovers is unacceptable. It's the first thing we work on every day.

Tom Silverstein ‏@TomSilverstein 56m56 minutes ago
    McCarthy on RB: It’s a stress point on your roster. These injuries are not long-term, IR nature. We’re still gathering information.

Tom Silverstein ‏@TomSilverstein 56m56 minutes ago
    McCarthy on RB: We’re working through the process. There’s a number of things going on, testing. I don’t have all the information.

Wes Hodkiewicz ‏@WesHod 55m55 minutes ago
    McCarthy: Plan for Joe Callahan was to be here and you take that chance, accept that risk. Those are things you have to weigh.

Packer Report ‏@PackerReport 55m55 minutes ago
    STarks had surgery yesterday, MM says. Felt good about surgery but should be back "quick."

Wes Hodkiewicz ‏@WesHod 55m55 minutes ago
    McCarthy said James Starks had a procedure performed on his knee, but feels he'll be on the front end of his prognosis

Packer Report ‏@PackerReport 55m55 minutes ago
    Lacy being evaluated now, MM says. As for corner, that's up in the air, too, MM says. He ruled out Rollins for Thursday last night.

Tom Silverstein ‏@TomSilverstein 55m55 minutes ago
    McCarthy on red zone: Turnovers are No. 1, very costly. Not only opportunity you lose, but momentum. Takes a shot out of your energy.

Tom Silverstein ‏@TomSilverstein 54m54 minutes ago
    McCarthy on Bulaga: Based on his history I would think he would play this week. I thought Jason Spriggs did a good job.

Packer Report ‏@PackerReport 54m54 minutes ago
    MM on passing game after watching film: It's the "details." Got to stay after it. Missed some opportunities.

Tom Silverstein ‏@TomSilverstein 53m53 minutes ago
    McCarthy on passing game: Went in anticipating 40 plus attempts. We hit goal of opportunities, but we missed opportunities.

Tom Silverstein ‏@TomSilverstein 52m52 minutes ago
    McCarthy on 5 WRs: Like the Big 5. They rushed 3 and dropped eight. That’s a look we can learn from. Protection was good. Can extend plays

Tom Silverstein ‏@TomSilverstein 49m49 minutes ago
    McCarthy on takeaways: Every single one of them was avoidable. This is not the way we handle the football.

Tom Silverstein ‏@TomSilverstein 58m58 minutes ago
    MM on what to build on: This is a different season. You don’t just pull up last year’s game plan. That doesn’t work. Part of the challenge.

Antonio Curro ‏@ACNY2LA 1h1 hour ago
    Watched @packers from the 40 yard line yesterday-5 big things stood out (1) Adams is hurts offense because he can't get off the ball or open

(2) McCarthy does an awful job of isolating and exploiting other team's weakness

(3) @packers defensive substitutions first series and last series of first half were so late it was ridiculous & inexcusable

(4) @packers have no speed at any offensive skill position - Cowboys were press coveraging 5 receiver sets and no one could beat their guy

(5) Anyone who thinks @packers issues are Rodgers need to go in person - it'll give u a much better perspective - it isn't him

Case n point - Adams went out & @packers started to utilize Montgomery out of the backfield and exploited the matchup to favor them

Not having a change of pace 3rd down RB kills the @packers offense because they don't have a TE & Adams can't get open-all personnel issues

With the exception of 3 maybe 4 throws @packers Rodgers was putting the ball where it had to be - he's not the issue

Antonio Curro ‏@ACNY2LA 45m45 minutes ago
    BB is the best ever on the sidelines because he isolates and exploits-McCarthy used to do that better-he is not doing that anymore

Giants game:

Shutdown Corner Rat HOFer Anti-Polar Bear's Avatar
    Might as well put Starks on the fuckin' IR. Even when healthy, the guy's out of a gas.

I, for one, am sick of seeing the Packers shitty corners get beat by average receivers. How many TDs did Beasley (?) caught against them shitty corners? Beasley? Who? Bring in 'Cro!
    I'm not going to stop the wheel. I'm going to break the wheel.

Antonio Curro ‏@ACNY2LA 45m45 minutes ago
    BB is the best ever on the sidelines because he isolates and exploits-McCarthy used to do that better-he is not doing that anymore
    Brett Bielema?

I like reading that the Packer receivers (including Lacy & Dickrod) are slow as molasses because that is my own kneejerk diagnosis. It's true that Arod is not threading the needle as well as the (distant) past, but that could be due to drop in confidence in himself and the route runners.

A scapegoat is needed. I say package Adams and Starks and trade for some struggling NBA forward who can be repurposed as a tight end. Then declare the offense fixed.

Who is Antonio Curro? Should I care what he has to say?
    (I'm really asking, because I haven't a clue who he is.)

Quote Originally Posted by Patler View Post
    Who is Antonio Curro? Should I care what he has to say?
    (I'm really asking, because I haven't a clue who he is.)
    No idea, he was retweeted by Tom Oates, so take it with a grain of salt.

Opinions on Rodgers and the Packers offensive struggles at this point are like anuses -- everybody has one.

One of the Gannett guys indicated that the new plan to beat Rodgers was generally to rush 3 or 4 mostly to contain Rodgers and drop a bunch of guys into coverage. The theory is that it prevents receivers (who already have trouble getting open) from getting open

Bill Barnwell seems firmly in the camp that the structure of the Packers offense is creating Rodgers's problems.

I've even heard the narrative being pushed that Rodgers might have personal issues -- either in his personal life or with something he doesn't like about the offense or some other team-related angst -- that are clouding his mind.

Mike Silver blames Ted.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro ~Hunter S.

Quote Originally Posted by denverYooper View Post
    One of the Gannett guys indicated that the new plan to beat Rodgers was generally to rush 3 or 4 mostly to contain Rodgers and drop a bunch of guys into coverage. The theory is that it prevents receivers (who already have trouble getting open) from getting open.
    This certainly will happen now...simply because we don't have a running game thanks to Ted, who refuses to stock the cupboard with capable RBs.