Both of these guys can go in my book.

Thompson is a good GM simply because he abides by the mantra of draft and develop. He is correct in believing that you build a better team through internal development than by buying big name free agents. However, I'm not sure that Thompson's ability to procure actual talent in the draft is head and shoulders above other GMs in the league. I think he's still better than most, but I'm fairly certain that there are at least 6-8 guys in the league better at it than him now...and that number is only going to increase over time as the old school GMs retire and the new whiz kids start to take over. Thompson was best when he still had guys like Schneider around him in support. When that strong supporting cast started to break up, the cracks in the dam started to show.

Thompson has made several strategic errors lately. He had to cut Sitton without getting anything of value for him, mostly because he did not have an acceptable level of comfort with the guys who would fill his shoes until it was too late. Despite the gaping hole at TE in recent years, the best we've gotten so far is Cook...when half of the teams in the NFL have high producing TEs on the roster. This RB debacle is just another example of how far Thompson has slipped in recent years.

As for Stubby...he's just not an impressive coach to me. He often plays not to lose rather than going for the win. His tendencies can be all over the map at times, which may be a strength except for the fact that he is a very reactionary coach. His approach to the running game has often left us scratching our heads. It is just hard to get a grasp on how good a coach he is when all we've seen of him has been with either Favre or Rodgers under center. Most coaches in the NFL could win 60% of their games with those guys as their QBs. Where I find him to be fatally flawed is in how he constitutes his staff. I do not believe Edgar Bennett is a good enough coach to be an offensive coordinator, and I think that plays a role in how poorly this offense is functioning. Stubby kept Slocum around WAY too long...and I'm not sure Zook is much of an improvement. Whatever happened with the play calling duties last year...that was a debacle on par with Thompson's RB gaffe. It doesn't feel like the team responds to him like they did in his first 6-8 years with the team. Based on the evidence that suggests it is better to let a good coach go than hold him for too long, I wouldn't mind bringing some new ideas and viewpoints at the top.