I've been saying for years, Thompson is overrated as a GM. The success his teams have had boils down to one thing: drafting Aaron Rodgers. Take that wonderful event away, and Packer teams would be mediocre or worse. To a great extent, he has wasted the prime years of Rodgers by settling for good enough around him without maximizing things.

The other thing that is sticking out like a sore thumb more and more and more is McCarthy - specifically his play calling - which is over cautious, uncreative, and generally inadequate. He too has had a long string of winning teams - primarily because of Aaron Rodgers, but he absolutely does NOT maximize things. The culmination of that was the stupid beyond belief, totally inexcusable first and goal at the one play last week where he did not even have Lacy on the field - or any other running back. All the God damned times that they run it into the line on first down and maybe second too, thereby putting a shitload of pressure on our QB on obvious passing situations, then in a situation that absolutely begs for a simple power run, he lines up with an empty back field. Pass or QB draw - which was so obvious everybody and his brother knew it was coming, is just plain wrong.

I still think this team is gonna snap out of the funk and go fairly deep into the playoffs - yet again not maximizing things, though. It's tough to get rid of the coach and/or GM in that situation. According to the premise of the thread, though, if I was suddenly the majority stockholder of the Packers or whatever, I really would pull the trigger and dump both of their sorry asses. I would not go with Elliot Wolf. I would look for a completely new mindset in both GM and coach - somebody who would show some daring and pizzazz both in personnel decisions and in play calling and game planning.