Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Lacy out for weeks?!

Oracle Rat HOFer Cheesehead Craig's Avatar
    Can we just fast forward to the draft and take Dalvin Cook already?
    All hail the Ruler of the Meadow!

Senior Rat HOFer Maxie the Taxi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheesehead Craig View Post
    Can we just fast forward to the draft and take Dalvin Cook already?
    Dalvin Cook is going to be a hell of a pro. Two things: Can he carry the load of an everyday back without being injured? Will TT draft a guy like him? Next year's draft has 5 or 6 of the nation's best.
    One time Lombardi was disgusted with the team in practice and told them they were going to have to start with the basics. He held up a ball and said: "This is a football." McGee immediately called out, "Stop, coach, you're going too fast," and that gave everyone a laugh.
    John Maxymuk, Packers By The Numbers

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    If the Packers lose to the Bears tonight, it will have turned into a complete show.
    Najeh Davenport??
    Brandon Marshall, MAN...!!
    Jimmie Johnson: Nascar's G.O.A.T......

Lacy is probably going to be very cheap as a free agent next year...even with his issues, he may be someone worth keeping for another year or two because no one else is going to pay a bunch of money for him at this point. Resign him...then draft a couple kids to also throw in the mix next year.
    It's such a GOOD feeling...13 TIME WORLD CHAMPIONS!!

Quote Originally Posted by King Friday View Post
    Lacy is probably going to be very cheap as a free agent next year...even with his issues, he may be someone worth keeping for another year or two because no one else is going to pay a bunch of money for him at this point. Resign him...then draft a couple kids to also throw in the mix next year.
    if he hits free agency, someone will pay him top 5 money

i'm guessing he'll get 7-9 million a year

he can be a monster if someone can control his weight and knows how to properly use running backs

plus he's 26, this is his one and only chance to hit it big, he'll go for as much money as possible

he's averaging over 5 yards per carry, among the best in the league. however he ranks 21st in attempts. in a decent running system, he's easily a top 5 back
    Last edited by red; 10-20-2016 at 06:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by red View Post
    if he hits free agency, someone will pay him top 5 money

i'm guessing he'll get 7-9 million a year

he can be a monster if someone can control his weight and knows how to properly use running backs

plus he's 26, this is his one and only chance to hit it big, he'll go for as much money as possible

he's averaging over 5 yards per carry, among the best in the league. however he ranks 21st in attempts. in a decent running system, he's easily a top 5 back
    7-9 million would put him the top 5 paid running backs. I wonder if he'll get that. He'll be coming off 2 years where he was overweight, and then possibly had a season-ending injury. Teams will probably want the contract to be high in incentives and low in guaranteed money.

I think the situation is clearer than many seem to believe. If an NFL running back can't get into shape for a contract year in which he stands to gain or lose millions of dollars - literally - then anyone who signs the guy ought to know exactly what they are getting, which is a guy who will, once signed, be even less hungry to excel and more hungry for a Whopper.

Hell, even Cletidus Hunt managed to get into shape for a year so he could get that big contract.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

who said he's not in shape. he may be near as heavy as last year but his endurance and strength is much better. he not getting tired.

I agree he seems to be in much better physical conditioning.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Lacy's conditioning is better this year, but I think he's still heavier than he should be.

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    Lacy's conditioning is better this year, but I think he's still heavier than he should be.
    IMO, that's a fine line for a guy like Lacy. If he gets too light he is can't play the way he plays, and the injuries would probably be worse.

I disagree. Lacy gets zero benefit from lugging a spare tire around his midsection. It only puts more strain on his joints. He could lose 15 more pounds without losing an ounce of muscle or power. 15 pounds less weight is not going to make him less of a battering ram. In fact he'll just be a bit quicker and take less direct hits.

I say let Lacy walk. The era of Jerome Bettis running backs is over. Lacy is a bad gamble, other than as a modestly paid part of a rotation.

BTW, Marshon Lynch, a similar back, was better than Lacy because he had a somewhat leaner build, at least in part.

I can't argue with LAcy's productivity this year when he was healthy. But I wouldn't invest in his future.
    Last edited by Harlan Huckleby; 10-23-2016 at 01:12 PM.

Lacy is the only player I can remember who looks trim enough in a t-shirt, but pounchy in his football uniform. It doesn't make a lot of sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Patler View Post
    Lacy is the only player I can remember who looks trim enough in a t-shirt, but pounchy in his football uniform. It doesn't make a lot of sense.
    really? i can walk around all day with my gut sucked in, but i soon as a get winded, i start to lose control of it

Quote Originally Posted by red View Post
    really? i can walk around all day with my gut sucked in, but i soon as a get winded, i start to lose control of it
    The photos have been numerous and in enough situations that your reasoning doesn't explain it, I don't believe.
    Last edited by Patler; 10-23-2016 at 05:57 PM.

I'll concede that maybe he's in somewhat better physical condition, but isn't a guy who is overweight by twenty or so pounds (in a contract year) the very definition of out-of-shape? He may have better wind, but he's not as fast nor as quick as he would be, nor could he run for as long.

I say that a guy who isn't in top physical condition in a contract year is not a good bet to be motivated once he's got the contract. I think he's the best running back the Packers have had since Ahman Green, but he's no Ahman Green. In his heyday, Green was a monster - and a fast monster.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    In his heyday, Green was a monster - and a fast monster.
    He combined power and speed as well as anyone did. Could run through weak LB tackles, knock over DBs regularly and outrun just about anyone on the field.

I think it would be a mistake to commit a lot of guaranteed money to Lacy, and any contract should be heavy on incentives.

Smile

He combined power and speed as well as anyone did. Could run through weak LB tackles, knock over DBs regularly and outrun just about anyone on the field.

I think it would be a mistake to commit a lot of guaranteed money to Lacy, and any contract should be heavy on incentives.

I agree with you, Ted.

KYPack

yup. lots of pics show this. i think the gear he wears is part of it. look at russel wilson tonight. he looks heavy but you know it's not the case.

I'm ok with Lacy the way he was this year. I think he should get a little lighter each year though. That said, I don't trust him at all. I'd like to keep him at a medium sized deal. Nothing huge.