Thread: A Different Perspective

A Different Perspective

I’ve been a Packer fan since the mid 70’s. Week in and week out I watched my dad get tormented by mediocre and sometimes downright awful Packer teams. His frustration toward the Packers spilled over onto me and I spent the better part of the 70’s and 80’s letting the Packers torment me as well. My frustration at watching inept play caused me to damage many toys, pieces of furniture and remote controls.

Fast forward to the 90’s and Brett Favre. Wow, what a ride. Simply the most spectacular player I’ve ever watched. And he was our QB!! Unfortunately, I didn’t enjoy the ride while it lasted. I was angry and frustrated with every loss just as I was in the 70’s and 80’s. Aside from the one Super Bowl year I treated every year like a complete loss. I still took each loss personally. After a loss I would be PO’d for the next few days. I loved the Packers, but hated them at the same time. And even worse, I rarely enjoyed games even when the won. I was mad that they didn’t win by more, or properly “finish” games.

After surviving a slew of personal issues in the mid to late 2000’s I’m now able to look at things with a different perspective. I understand that I can’t control how the team plays or how the front office runs the team. So I no longer takes losses or poor play personally. All I can do is try to enjoy a team that has been huge part of my life for 40+ years. Sure, I still get annoyed when a player drops an easy pass or misses a sure tackle, but I don’t come unglued anymore. And I no longer care if the Packers squeak one out when they had a big lead in the 3rd quarter. I enjoy every win and try to enjoy the positive parts of the losses.

So I hope tonight’s game is the start of something special. Maybe the Packers will run the table. Maybe they won’t. I’m going to enjoy it either way.

Go Pack!

i don't anyone on this board is so young that their week is made or broken by Packers play anymore. i know it's true for me anyway. any frustration is over pretty quick but i'll admit elation lasts a lot longer. lol

I'm with you STP. The main thing I get annoyed with while watching now is mental mistakes. When the Packers beat themselves, it's irritating to me for maybe an hour.

yup, i use to be the same exact way, but these days i just laugh when the team is playing like shit

thats why i bitch and have low expectations, if they suck, well thats what i expected. but if they play well and win, well thats something unexpected and exciting

last time i was throwing things mad was the debacle in seattle with M3 throwing the game

Quote Originally Posted by red View Post
    yup, i use to be the same exact way, but these days i just laugh when the team is playing like shit

thats why i bitch and have low expectations, if they suck, well thats what i expected. but if they play well and win, well thats something unexpected and exciting

last time i was throwing things mad was the debacle in seattle with M3 throwing the game
    Yep, that was a tough one. That one would have crushed me 20 years ago.

Well I've been a fan since the 50s and have enjoyed being spoiled since the 90s. Lived in Chicago land when the Bears won the Super Bowl, so my year is made when we beat the Bears and anything above that is just icing on the cake for me. I do think that this team is not playing up to it's potential and that's disappointing.

Gamblin' Rat
    So I guess kicking the dogs, beating my wife and threatening to burn down the house is overreacting a bit?

you let tv entertainment torment you?

Quote Originally Posted by scharpcheddar View Post
    you let tv entertainment torment you?
    It sounds silly when you put it like that

I've been a Packers fan since 1958 and Endured the pain of the 1970'-80's.

This season is a lot like the current Season Seven of 'the Walking Dead':

There 'only' needs to be some changes.

GO PACK GO !
    ** Since 2006 3 X Pro Pickem' Champion; 4 X Runner-Up and 3 X 3rd place.
    ** To download Jesus Loves Me ring tones, you'll need a cell phone mame
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?
    ** Rather than love, money or fame - give me TRUTH: Henry D. Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by red View Post

Mac screwed up but he wasn't the only one. IMO that was a team wide F-up on all sides of the ball and the staff.

I was fortunate and had this realization in the 7th grade. I started wondering why I would allow what happened to a sports team that I had no real affiliation with, other than a team cap, to make me feel miserable for a day or two. As an angst filled teen, I had plenty of other sources of misery, so I let that one go, and it greatly aided my mental health over the years compared to some of my peers.
    "You're all very smart, and I'm very dumb." - Partial

Senior Rat HOFer Carolina_Packer's Avatar
    Seattle was a bitter pill. Of course not all losses are the equal of that one because of the opportunity lost. Regular season games are just that. Playoff games sting longer, especially when the team blows it. For that game, not only was I stunned, but I had to console my son who was crying because we had just crash landed from the ride that was the 2014 season, and the look of a team going to the Super Bowl. Finding those words of consolation when I was so upset myself was difficult. Feeling that bad is reserved for such occasions.
    "Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." -Daniel Patrick Moynihan