Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
5. Okay, lots of bitching about Thompson not having running back depth. Okay. Really? Nobody has running back depth after the top two go down. And that running back depth we wanted? That was supposed to be a third-down, guy-out-of-the-backfield-who-can-catch guy. So even if the Packers had that guy, he would be as useless as a bronze tit on first and second down. So let's be realistic about how much Ted's at fault here. Who - realistically - was he supposed to have ready?
A bit of hyperbole there. Up until this year the Packers themselves had a fairly capable 3rd string RB. Wasn't that Crockett before he got injured? And there were others before him. And obviously Kansas City had not only a 3rd string RB on the roster, but a 4th stringer: Knife Davis. I didn't check but a think just about all NFL teams carry a 3rd RB on the roster and then another on the practice squad.

And as far as a "guy-out-of-the-backfield-who-can-catch guy," he doesn't have to be next to "useless." Monty himself destroys that argument. And do I have to bring up guys like David Johnson and even Jordan Howard who is still listed on the Bears depth chart as their 3rd string RB. Guys like Howard were available in the draft and plentiful as free agents.

I think TT and Stubby reasoned Monty was their guy who could step in. Whether that makes sense is a whole nother issue.