Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
No one except Monty (and Adams if his guy is playing off) in the WR corp is beating press coverage decisively. The defenders are RARELY wrong footed or confused. Compare that to the Packer DBs, even before injuries.

That is because they KNOW what routes are being run because there are maybe four per receiver total, and maybe two per any personnel group, because it rarely varies and they almost never get forced off the press due to crossing routes or mesh points. I think I saw five instances of tight combo routes in 75 plays (one for a TD that should have been easier).

How many times was that rookie DB in Cobb's hip pocket on throws inside? There is no hesitation on their part.

So could Rodgers be more accurate? Yes. But why make all but five throws that difficult? Might that make you QB skittish, waiting for something to break MORE wide open and lead to more dropped balls from challenged receivers? Why make a difficult game MORE difficult?

See how all of this connects to the design of the stupid play? Think of the advantage the defense is giving you. EVERY team is playing man under. You know that going in. You can design an offense to abuse that choice for an entire half and scare teams into choosing something else. But no, let's bang our head against the wall of fundamentals.

I actually thought for two weeks he was going back to multiple personnel groups, but except for Monty in a new spot, the differing personnel were still all running isolation routes. There were a couple of receiver stacks, but the routes never collided.

A healthy Nelson makes this easier. But why rely on having an All-Pro as part of the design of the offense?
It took me a while to watch, but I believe most of what you're saying. I watched parts of the last 6 games. Except for about half the Cowboy game, and part of this game when we used 4 and 5 WR sets with some stacking, all we've run are iso routes with 3WR with various combinations of RBs and TEs.

The OL has played extremely well, but the receivers have been a large part of the problem. R Rodgers is never open. Nelson is almost never open. Adams is sometimes open but usually by a step or less. Cobb is open more often, but again by a step or less.

A Rodgers has had accuracy issues. He started the season with a case of the yips, and he appears to have conquered that as his confidence in the line has increased. He is still amazing at sensing pressure and moving out of harms way, but, more often than not, he doesn't find the open receiver after his amazing movement. This is also the time when he misses, sometimes badly, the receiver that has flashed open that he does see. To me, this is the main difference between 2014 and now in what we're seeing with AR. I don't think it's all that's wrong with the team.

I agree that 4 and 5 WR sets would help to fix our biggest problem, which is a lack of separation for our receivers. It would allow us to get into rhythm. Playing a 4 or 5 WR set in no huddle could possibly also work. They're taking the first step by incorporating Monty in the backfield with 4 WRs, giving us a RB with 3rd down ability. Doing this also means that AR doesn't have to make the perfect pass for success.

One other note: I've wondered why we've had almost no YAC and thought that most of that problem has been due to the lack of receiver separation, but I think it's at least partly because of accuracy issues with AR. Many times, a throw that should have lead the receiver was thrown at or behind him which resulted in very little YAC.