Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: More Banjo: Week 7 vs Bears

Quote Originally Posted by ThunderDan View Post
    Janis has to go if he continues what he was doing last night. He took a kick out of the end zone and got to the 15 yard line. He did cover one punt well but was helped by some good hang time.

The play that surprised me was the little flare to Janis on the goal line. He was running at full speed turned up to get into the end zone and the CB knocked him backwards and stopped him from scoring. If Janis is such and athletic freak he has to knock the CB back not vice versa.
    He also showed no gumption on his slant, where the ILB stood on his route (wonder how he knew) and held his ground.

Any other player worth his salt gets around a stationary defender, or, if the defender moves, reacts in such a way that pass interference is called. Janis just ran into him of his own volition and fell down.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Red:

Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    No one except Monty (and Adams if his guy is playing off) in the WR corp is beating press coverage decisively. The defenders are RARELY wrong footed or confused. Compare that to the Packer DBs, even before injuries.

That is because they KNOW what routes are being run because there are maybe four per receiver total, and maybe two per any personnel group, because it rarely varies and they almost never get forced off the press due to crossing routes or mesh points. I think I saw five instances of tight combo routes in 75 plays (one for a TD that should have been easier).

How many times was that rookie DB in Cobb's hip pocket on throws inside? There is no hesitation on their part.

So could Rodgers be more accurate? Yes. But why make all but five throws that difficult? Might that make you QB skittish, waiting for something to break MORE wide open and lead to more dropped balls from challenged receivers? Why make a difficult game MORE difficult?

See how all of this connects to the design of the stupid play? Think of the advantage the defense is giving you. EVERY team is playing man under. You know that going in. You can design an offense to abuse that choice for an entire half and scare teams into choosing something else. But no, let's bang our head against the wall of fundamentals.

I actually thought for two weeks he was going back to multiple personnel groups, but except for Monty in a new spot, the differing personnel were still all running isolation routes. There were a couple of receiver stacks, but the routes never collided.

A healthy Nelson makes this easier. But why rely on having an All-Pro as part of the design of the offense?
    It blows me away our great coaching staff can't adapt to what the defense throws at them. It's embarrassing.
    C.H.U.D.

Red:

He hates the Eagles!
    C.H.U.D.

^ Its Stubby.

The Packers needed every rep they got out of Martinez after second-year linebacker Jake Ryan left in the second half and did not return.

Read more: http://www.packers.com/news-and-even...#ixzz4NjmJVFj7

Jumbo Rat HOFer
    He also showed no gumption on his slant, where the ILB stood on his route (wonder how he knew) and held his ground.

Any other player worth his salt gets around a stationary defender, or, if the defender moves, reacts in such a way that pass interference is called. Janis just ran into him of his own volition and fell down.
    I didn't get the number of the player on that. Ugh, another crappy play. How does he just stop working his route and dump straight into the defender?

I was more mad at the no call until I saw the replay and saw the Bear's LB just standing there not grabbing the WR. Good no call ref.
    But Rodgers leads the league in frumpy expressions and negative body language on the sideline, which makes him, like Josh Allen, a unique double threat.

-Tim Harmston

Jumbo Rat HOFer
    I meant bumped not dumped.

I couldn't believe there wasn't at least defensive holding. I mean what WR runs right into the other teams player and doesn't fight to get around him? I guess that would be Jeff Janis.
    But Rodgers leads the league in frumpy expressions and negative body language on the sideline, which makes him, like Josh Allen, a unique double threat.

-Tim Harmston

Packer Report ‏@PackerReport 28m28 minutes ago
    Of Montgomery's 126 yards, 113 were YAC in passing and after contact rushing. More for our members on big night

I don't understand how you can take advantage of this guy and not want the same thing out of the receivers lined up out wide.

Is the Stanford rookie WR not ready to contribute? Get the kid ready with these extra days.
    C.H.U.D.

Oracle Rat HOFer Cheesehead Craig's Avatar
    The Packers needed every rep they got out of Martinez after second-year linebacker Jake Ryan left in the second half and did not return.

Read more: http://www.packers.com/news-and-even...#ixzz4NjmJVFj7
    Guess I was right when I saw Ryan go down. I mentioned in the game thread I thought that he hurt his knee. He must have limped off because they never stopped the game for him.
    All hail the Ruler of the Meadow!

No one except Monty (and Adams if his guy is playing off) in the WR corp is beating press coverage decisively. The defenders are RARELY wrong footed or confused. Compare that to the Packer DBs, even before injuries.

That is because they KNOW what routes are being run because there are maybe four per receiver total, and maybe two per any personnel group, because it rarely varies and they almost never get forced off the press due to crossing routes or mesh points. I think I saw five instances of tight combo routes in 75 plays (one for a TD that should have been easier).

How many times was that rookie DB in Cobb's hip pocket on throws inside? There is no hesitation on their part.

So could Rodgers be more accurate? Yes. But why make all but five throws that difficult? Might that make you QB skittish, waiting for something to break MORE wide open and lead to more dropped balls from challenged receivers? Why make a difficult game MORE difficult?

See how all of this connects to the design of the stupid play? Think of the advantage the defense is giving you. EVERY team is playing man under. You know that going in. You can design an offense to abuse that choice for an entire half and scare teams into choosing something else. But no, let's bang our head against the wall of fundamentals.

I actually thought for two weeks he was going back to multiple personnel groups, but except for Monty in a new spot, the differing personnel were still all running isolation routes. There were a couple of receiver stacks, but the routes never collided.

A healthy Nelson makes this easier. But why rely on having an All-Pro as part of the design of the offense?
    It took me a while to watch, but I believe most of what you're saying. I watched parts of the last 6 games. Except for about half the Cowboy game, and part of this game when we used 4 and 5 WR sets with some stacking, all we've run are iso routes with 3WR with various combinations of RBs and TEs.

The OL has played extremely well, but the receivers have been a large part of the problem. R Rodgers is never open. Nelson is almost never open. Adams is sometimes open but usually by a step or less. Cobb is open more often, but again by a step or less.

A Rodgers has had accuracy issues. He started the season with a case of the yips, and he appears to have conquered that as his confidence in the line has increased. He is still amazing at sensing pressure and moving out of harms way, but, more often than not, he doesn't find the open receiver after his amazing movement. This is also the time when he misses, sometimes badly, the receiver that has flashed open that he does see. To me, this is the main difference between 2014 and now in what we're seeing with AR. I don't think it's all that's wrong with the team.

I agree that 4 and 5 WR sets would help to fix our biggest problem, which is a lack of separation for our receivers. It would allow us to get into rhythm. Playing a 4 or 5 WR set in no huddle could possibly also work. They're taking the first step by incorporating Monty in the backfield with 4 WRs, giving us a RB with 3rd down ability. Doing this also means that AR doesn't have to make the perfect pass for success.

One other note: I've wondered why we've had almost no YAC and thought that most of that problem has been due to the lack of receiver separation, but I think it's at least partly because of accuracy issues with AR. Many times, a throw that should have lead the receiver was thrown at or behind him which resulted in very little YAC.

Lack of YAC is partially accuracy, but a lot of it are the short routes that come back to the QB. Its what they have been hitting recently, those plus back shoulder throws.

Doesn't have to be that way, inaccurate or not, Monty has 100 yards of YAC out of the backfield.

Lack of YAC is partially accuracy, but a lot of it are the short routes that come back to the QB. Its what they have been hitting recently, those plus back shoulder throws.

Doesn't have to be that way, inaccurate or not, Monty has 100 yards of YAC out of the backfield.
    Quite a few good throws to Monty out of the backfield the last couple of games, but quite a few less than accurate throws downfield to other receivers, although this past game was a bit of an exception. Maybe hope for the future?

To be sure, there were some comeback routes, but very few back shoulders.

Red:

yeah, thats pretty fucking nice man

Quote Originally Posted by Freak Out View Post
    Is the Stanford rookie WR not ready to contribute? Get the kid ready with these extra days.
    I think you mean Cal. (Trevor Davis) If he was from Stanford, he's be ready.

He would add a speed dimension. I've kind of given up on Janis. Million dollar body and a 10 cent head.

Quote Originally Posted by ThunderDan View Post
    Janis has to go if he continues what he was doing last night. He took a kick out of the end zone and got to the 15 yard line.
    We took kickoffs out of the endzone twice and got stopped WAY before the 25. That is entirely on Zook, as he should be enforcing every kick returner to TAKE A DAMN KNEE in the endzone.
    It's such a GOOD feeling...13 TIME WORLD CHAMPIONS!!

Senior Rat All-Pro oldbutnotdeadyet's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post

He would add a speed dimension. I've kind of given up on Janis. Million dollar body and a 10 cent head.
    Yeah, I too have given up on Janis but not sure its due to his head, he scored a 30 on the wonderlic. Maybe ADHD?

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post

Yep. He's the one. When the hell is the savior TE due back?
    C.H.U.D.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Freak Out View Post
    Yep. He's the one. When the hell is the savior TE due back?
    Supposedly he shed his walking boot Tuesday.

DNP vs the Bears.

Some have him playing vs the Falcons, but he certainly should be a go for the Indy game following that one.