Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Week 7 Other Games

Man I can't stand Seattle, (Mainly because Pete Carroll is such a douche and they get away with a lot of shit they shouldn't.) but this is why I'd rather have a team built on a great defense than a video game offense. Seattle had 80 total yards of offense after three quarters and hadn't been on the Arizona side of the 50 yet tonight but they're still only down by three points. All it takes is one fluke play or one offensive drive and they can still win the game. I think great defense will always keep you in the game and recent Super Bowl winners have been doing it with great defenses and adequate to good offenses. Seattle's biggest issue on O is that they don't have Marshawn Lynch anymore.

The other thing you always notice with great D's is that you have to have an above average to great, fast linebacker corp. One reason why I don't think GB will ever have a great D is because they don't use their resources to acquire these kind of linebackers and for the most part try to get by with mid-rounder's and UDFA type players. Plus I just don't think T.T. and his scouting department are very good at drafting D players. Look at all the high round picks we have now, ( 4 of the front 7 are first rounder's) all of the other high picks that have washed out, (Justin Harrell, Jerel Worthy, etc.) and the return on that investment hasn't been very good.

On another note...David Johnson is a stud for Arizona.

Man, how in the heck did Floyd drop that pass right to him at the Seattle 14? Arizona is doing everything they can to give this game away to Seattle who doesn't deserve it. Arizona got the FG so let's see if their D can hold the Seahawks one more time tonight.

Green & Gold Shades Rat HOFer channtheman's Avatar
    Do other teams get the kind of luck Seattle gets? How many teams miss sub 30 yard field goals to let Seattle win or possible win/tie?

I fuking' absolutely hate Seattle and they're bullshit luck. Arizona should have won this game at least 3 times by now. Seattle has had 2 offensive drives past the 50 yard tonight and they were both in OT and they're probably going win this game.

This game is retarded.

Take a knee for the tie... or?

Good grief...both kickers miss field goals under 30 yards to win the game! I think they should both get a loss because neither team even deserves a tie.

I think the most underrated part of FG kicking is the spot. And Jon Ryan got the ball set too far toward the left which screwed up Hauschka's kick.

No idea how the Cardinals guy missed from the 10.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Senior Rat HOFer Maxie the Taxi's Avatar
    I want to know why Ariens has the ball on the one yard line and attempts a FG on third down.
    One time Lombardi was disgusted with the team in practice and told them they were going to have to start with the basics. He held up a ball and said: "This is a football." McGee immediately called out, "Stop, coach, you're going too fast," and that gave everyone a laugh.
    John Maxymuk, Packers By The Numbers

Jumbo Rat HOFer
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxie the Taxi View Post
    I want to know why Ariens has the ball on the one yard line and attempts a FG on third down.
    He did it because he tried to put the Pack away with a pass on 3rd down in last year's playoff game and allowed us to tie the game and force OT.

He played the percentages and rolled snake eyes this time.
    But Rodgers leads the league in frumpy expressions and negative body language on the sideline, which makes him, like Josh Allen, a unique double threat.

-Tim Harmston

Quote Originally Posted by Maxie the Taxi View Post
    Third down is just in case something goes wrong (bad snap, hold). You can fall on it and attempt another FG.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    Third down is just in case something goes wrong (bad snap, hold). You can fall on it and attempt another FG.
    Back in the '60s and '70s, it was not uncommon to see 3rd down FG attempts for just that reason. Teams didn't have long snappers, it was generally a job for one of the starting OL, and it wasn't always pretty, especially with muddy fields. Since the starting QB was often the holder, fake FG attempts on 3rd down were something to be watched for.

The point is his FG team had been a disaster all night long. He knows this. The announcers know this. He's one yard from a sure victory. A David Johnson run carries little risk, and even if he doesn't make it, the FG remains an option. It seems to me sometimes that NFL coaches are afraid of their own shadows.
    One time Lombardi was disgusted with the team in practice and told them they were going to have to start with the basics. He held up a ball and said: "This is a football." McGee immediately called out, "Stop, coach, you're going too fast," and that gave everyone a laugh.

Blog Entries
    Lawd, what a stinky mess this game was.

Thanks God I missed the ending.

This game answered the ? in the other thread.

Why is NFL viewership down?

BC of shit games like this one.

Quote Originally Posted by KYPack View Post

Ain't that the truth. There was so much yellow on the field I thought for a second I was watching the Packers. I think the NFL is going through a penalty crisis. IMO if you call something a penalty on one play, you ought to be consistent and call it on every play. What the hell is holding nowadays? Or pass interference? They make a rule to protect the long snapper and then you've got guys like Wagner leaping over the snapper. Like Collingsworth the Great said: "What exactly is incidental contact?"

And I swear there is no such thing as a pancake block anymore. Once the D-lineman hits the ground, it's automatically holding on the O-lineman who put him there.

Quote Originally Posted by Patler View Post
    Back in the '60s and '70s, it was not uncommon to see 3rd down FG attempts for just that reason. Teams didn't have long snappers, it was generally a job for one of the starting OL, and it wasn't always pretty, especially with muddy fields. Since the starting QB was often the holder, fake FG attempts on 3rd down were something to be watched for.

Yea Patler, I recall that. Alot of game winning FG's were kicked on 3rd down for the reasons you stated. Don't recall as many fakes but the thought was you botch the snap you got one more try.

Quote Originally Posted by KYPack View Post

It seems to me that over the past few years defenses have been getting the upper hand over offenses. Maybe that is just the way the pendulum swings. But five or so years ago the NFL was QB-centered, and if you had a guy like Rodgers, Brady, Manning or Brees you had the ability to turn games into Arena league shows. Not so much anymore. Discounting the Patriots, the great teams in the last five years have been great because of defense: San Fran, Seattle, Denver. I haven't checked real numbers but my impression is that the ultra-high scoring games have more or less vanished, and that we're seeing more and more defensive struggles with the expected ugly scores that go with them. If my intuition is accurate, I wonder how much that is affecting decline in viewership.

Quote Originally Posted by Patler View Post
    I'm not sure why teams don't use the backup QB as the holder. Is it because they think the backup QB's change so often there's no continuity? Maybe. I guess you'd have to look to see if teams change punters often these days. If so, there's no reason I can think of not to have your backup QB doing it - it gives you an option you otherwise probably didn't have.

I'd like to see Mikey Mike do this. make Hundley the holder, and at the exact moment in the playoffs, you pull off the fake and have Hundley roll out and throw the TD pass, or at least run for a first down.

Why not?
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Coaches don't use backup QBs as holders for one strategic reason: it is infinitely more demoralizing if you have Jon Ryan throwing for the TD.

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    I'm not sure why teams don't use the backup QB as the holder. Is it because they think the backup QB's change so often there's no continuity? Maybe. I guess you'd have to look to see if teams change punters often these days. If so, there's no reason I can think of not to have your backup QB doing it - it gives you an option you otherwise probably didn't have.

I'd like to see Mikey Mike do this. make Hundley the holder, and at the exact moment in the playoffs, you pull off the fake and have Hundley roll out and throw the TD pass, or at least run for a first down.

Why not?
    One good reason I can think of is the new rule that points after TD are kicked from the 15 yd line making successful fakes less likely.

I think another reason for having the punter be the holder is efficiency in practice. The punter and kicker can go off in a corner and do their thing without disrupting practice of the QB's and the offense.