It's tough to sacrifice roster spots to add new guys with Randall, Cook, Starks - none of whom are special teamers - slated to return yet. I think Allison's been promoted for situational value, replacing just about the last guy on the roster with limited game day value. Evans is up for special teams replacements.

Who would you cut (and probably lose to another team) to add yet another RB, CB, or TE as temporary add? The only other guy to sacrifice would be Murphy. It's pretty clear they have future hopes for him or he'd have been cut already and stashed on the PS because he hasn't been active yet and probably won't be APRH.

I wondered whether Peanut Tillman would have anything in the tank but do you really want to cut Hawkins loose forever to pull a 39-year-old temporary band-aid out of retirement who'd probably take until Randall returns to ramp up anyway? Obviously Ted doesn't and I don't think his motivation is real mysterious.

He pulled a rabbit out of his hat with Green back in 2010 but d-line and RB are probably about the only two spots that can realistically happen. He already grabbed Knile Davis there. Not sure about Don Jackson's hand but if he can return quickly I think he shows the natural running back agility and burst that Davis' straight line power game doesn't have, and while I like what Montgomery's showing, he hasn't yet shown the ability to run inside. Those three guys each bring something a little different, and together they probably cover RB needs pretty well - at least until Starks returns anyway.

None of them are the every-down workhorse that Lacy can be but that guy isn't out there on the scrap heap to be had as far as I can see.