Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: NFL OFFICIATING: Another SeaChickens Crybaby, Or Does Sherman Have A Point?

Senior Rat HOFer Maxie the Taxi's Avatar

NFL OFFICIATING: Another SeaChickens Crybaby, Or Does Sherman Have A Point?

Seahawk Richard Sherman rips Roger Goodell, officiating, says NFL ‘isn’t fun anymore’ — and more

— On how to improve officiating: “Make the rule book a lot less extensive. You’ve got a bunch of freaking rocket scientists writing rules for a simple game. Like I’ve always said they e always say they ask players and coaches about rules and rules changes but they really don’t take what they say into account, obviously, because the game is entirely too difficult to officiate to be written by coaches and players, to be influenced by coaches and players. This game would be a lot more simplified by the refs. Obvious calls would have to be made, if it affects the play it would have to be made. Earl Thomas got called for illegal contact on a play where he pretty much ran the route for the receiver and then you don’t get called when the receiver just blocks a dude in the end zone to the ground on a pass play. You’ve got to simplify it and give them less things to watch because it’s hard for the to ever protect the defensive player.’’
    — On how he would rewrite the pass interference rule: “I’d even it out. I’d take illegal contact out or I’d call it both ways. If we can’t touch them past five yards, then they can’t initiate contact with us past five yards. But then it kind of sounds ridiculous, doesn’t it? Just as illegal contact is a ridiculous rule and impossible to officiate they can literally run into you at any point on the field and get that call. All you have to do is initiate contact, 4th and 55 and you got a first down. It makes it difficult to play defense because now they know the rules, they can manipulate the rules and the refs see what they think they see.”
    IMO there are way too many penalties called in this league. It seems on every play almost. Every punt. It's making some games unwatchable.

What exactly is "incidental contact?" What exactly is holding? Pass interference?

Should penalties -- especially pass interference, offensive and defensive, and now unnecessary roughness -- determine the course of of just about every game?
    One time Lombardi was disgusted with the team in practice and told them they were going to have to start with the basics. He held up a ball and said: "This is a football." McGee immediately called out, "Stop, coach, you're going too fast," and that gave everyone a laugh.
    John Maxymuk, Packers By The Numbers

Oracle Rat HOFer Cheesehead Craig's Avatar
    Here's a good article on what officials do that Peter King did back in 2013.

http://mmqb.si.com/2013/12/04/
    All hail the Ruler of the Meadow!

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesehead Craig View Post
    Here's a good article on what officials do that Peter King did back in 2013.

http://mmqb.si.com/2013/12/04/
    Can't get the link to work.
    One time Lombardi was disgusted with the team in practice and told them they were going to have to start with the basics. He held up a ball and said: "This is a football." McGee immediately called out, "Stop, coach, you're going too fast," and that gave everyone a laugh.

Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Thanks. Appreciate the King article from the ref's point of view. But I'm approaching it purely from a fan's point of view. Flag throwing, reviews and such is just getting too disruptive, too important, too much a part of the game. What ever happened to the old saw that if you don't notice the umpire he's doing a great job?

Oracle Rat HOFer Cheesehead Craig's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxie the Taxi View Post
    Thanks. Appreciate the King article from the ref's point of view. But I'm approaching it purely from a fan's point of view. Flag throwing, reviews and such is just getting too disruptive, too important, too much a part of the game. What ever happened to the old saw that if you don't notice the umpire he's doing a great job?
    With the 15 camera angles, zooming in and slow motion the fan's perspective is way better than it's ever been. Thus there's far more fan outcry than there's ever been either because the refs are nit-picked to a much greater magnitude than the ones of yesterday and their flaws are made public to millions instantly. That old axiom doesn't apply anymore as the game has changed drastically since then.

Sherman, IMO thinks the rules favor the offense too much and he could be right about that. However, they favored the defense for quite a bit before and this is just a swing in the pendulum the other way.
    All hail the Ruler of the Meadow!

i don't have a problem with it. if a player commits a penalty...call it! sherman crying about pass int and illegal contact is hilarious. the sea backfield has been the most notorious outfit in the league over the past several years for the over the top coverage. their philosophy is hold, grab, whatever it takes to keep teams from completing passes and to give their front 7 time to get to the qb. if they get the occasional penalty so be it. they know the refs won't call it on every play so it's to their advantage. that crap never used to be happen. i think the refs should go ahead and call it every play and see how they react.

GIVE ME MORE PENALTIES!

NFL isn't fun anymore....

Just hand the fucking ball to the ref and leave the dancing to the chorus girls.

I do agree on the insane amount of penalties. In my opinion they shouldn't call backside holds that have no effect or incidental contact. Holding a guys arm down, that I'd call.

When I was in Junior HS, my brother Boyd and I would play one-on-one basketball in the driveway. We'd call "foul" on each other. Some times it would get out of hand, each of us calling foul on every possession. The game would deteriorate. Then we'd decide to play "Tackle Basketball." Virtually anything goes; nothing stops the game. After an initial period of chaos, Tackle Basketball eventually turned into our best games. In short, we stopped bitching and gave as good as we got.

I remember when blockers used to have to keep their hands on their chests and block with their forearms and shoulders. Now virtually anything goes and the refs try to interpret and control the chaos. And we're paying the price by being knee deep in flags on every play. And then we have to suffer through those game-stopping reviews in super slow motion.

I can still watch the Packer games, but it's painful to keep interested in watching other teams play. For some reason, college football is way more interesting nowadays.

Get rid of instant replay.
    C.H.U.D.

Jumbo Rat HOFer
    No blood no foul was how we played basketball in our driveway. Being the youngest on the block, this rule sucked.
    But Rodgers leads the league in frumpy expressions and negative body language on the sideline, which makes him, like Josh Allen, a unique double threat.

-Tim Harmston

bill polian just said on nfl insiders what i just said...the players are being coached to commit the penalties rather than get beat or get the qb hurt. if the refs catch you so be it...if they don't great.

so it's on the players...not the refs.
    Last edited by gbgary; 11-04-2016 at 01:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gbgary View Post
    bill polian just said on nfl insiders what i just said...the players are being coached to commit the penalties rather than get beat or get the qb hurt. if the refs catch you so be it...if they don't great.

so it's on the players...not the refs.
    IMO it's on the game. It's a classic case of trying to have your cake and eat it too. The NFL is trying to make a violent game politically correct. The result? The game is being regulated to death and is losing fans like me.

The result? The game is being regulated to death and is losing fans like me.
    umm, I don't think fans like you are going anywhere, dear.

I agree that there are too many flags for the good of the game. But the problem is that players are doing too much grabbing.

Your boybood days with Boyd got me to thinking. How about making holding and interfence called by the offended player? The old honor system might just work better. Review every call in the booth - but only to eject rats making phantom accusations.

This might actually work.

IMO it's on the game. It's a classic case of trying to have your cake and eat it too. The NFL is trying to make a violent game politically correct. The result? The game is being regulated to death and is losing fans like me.
    i can see that with qb protection and hitting defenseless players rules but pass int, illegal contact, holding, blocking in the back (on kick-offs)...no way. they're being coached to take a chance on it not being called. bill polian admitted it.

Quote Originally Posted by Harlan Huckleby View Post
    umm, I don't think fans like you are going anywhere, dear.

I agree that there are too many flags for the good of the game. But the problem is that players are doing too much grabbing.

Your boybood days with Boyd got me to thinking. How about making holding and interfence called by the offended player? The old honor system might just work better. Review every call in the booth - but only to eject rats making phantom accusations.

This might actually work.
    Still too much official oversight. I say let the players take an eye for an eye. That might work too. After everyone is blinded, the game might become more genteel.

Add poor/excessive/muddled officiating to the laundry list of why the NFL's bubble has burst.

Quote Originally Posted by Freak Out View Post
    Get rid of instant replay.
    Its all or nothing. When its introduced, you keep hearing people (MLB, NFL especially) say it will only be used for homers or coaches challenges. But the pressure begins to immediately build to use it for all questionable calls.

The only actual choices are centralize it and put in under one person at the game or remove it. The in between stuff is just slow and causing an argument.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

I don't mind instant replay when it doesn't take forever. Don't we want it called right? If we had instant replay back in 1999 SF wouldn't have won (Jerry Rice did fumble) and we would have gone on to the divisional round that season.

Quote Originally Posted by gbgary View Post
    i don't have a problem with it. if a player commits a penalty...call it! sherman crying about pass int and illegal contact is hilarious. the sea backfield has been the most notorious outfit in the league over the past several years for the over the top coverage. their philosophy is hold, grab, whatever it takes to keep teams from completing passes and to give their front 7 time to get to the qb. if they get the occasional penalty so be it. they know the refs won't call it on every play so it's to their advantage. that crap never used to be happen. i think the refs should go ahead and call it every play and see how they react.

GIVE ME MORE PENALTIES!
    My first reaction was to kinda agree with Sherman, but this post rings true too.

My big gripe is with all the stupid shit about safety. If they can do things with equipment, fine, but so much disruptive regulatory crap messes up the game IMO. Bottom line is that for the extreme millions these guys are paid, they can assume the risk - or not if they want to go all Chris Borland. Do away with the concussion protocol and similar shit.

The pass interference thing is just fine tuning. The players can and should adjust to the rules. The worse thing there is the inconsistency of how different officials interpret those rules. One of Sherman's gripes, the automatic first down, seems valid though. Make PI a spot foul with a minimum of 15 yards of penalty, and if it's still not a first down - like in his 4th and 55 example, so be it.
    What could be more GOOD and NORMAL and AMERICAN than Packer Football?