#2 RB*
    #3 RB from last year (Crockett)
    #1 Specialty RB/#4WR*

#1 TE*

#2 WR*
    #4 WR/#1 Specialty RB*

#4 Safety/ST stud

* - Should return well before the end of the season'

While the injuries are extensive right now, if the Packers can hang in there for a few weeks, they should start getting most of their injured players back. In the mean time, backup players are getting very valuable playing time.

Rollins should be back in the next week or two, Randall in about a month. The D-backfield will look a lot better at that time, and will have unusual depth.

Cook was seen at practice last week, working on his own, so he could be back in a couple weeks. Montgomery and Cobb aren't expected to be out long. With Ripkowski adding another dimension, the offense could have a very interesting look the second half of the season. Then if Lacy comes back it will add another dimension.

Blog Entries
    They were also missing a pass rush and sound play from their young ILB's or they'd have beaten a pretty good team on the road in spite of all that.

Quote Originally Posted by vince View Post
    They were also missing a pass rush and sound play from their young ILB's or they'd have beaten a pretty good team on the road in spite of all that.
    Pass rush improves with Matthews and better CB play.
    I'm not sure their ILB's deserve any more blame than others.

Senior Rat All-Pro oldbutnotdeadyet's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Patler View Post
    Pass rush improves with Matthews and better CB play.
    I'm not sure their ILB's deserve any more blame than others.
    Their ILBs appeared to be a 1/2 step off. I won't go as far as saying slow, more out of position.

Quote Originally Posted by vince View Post
    ilb play will come with more experience. pass rush will come when matthews health returns, cb and rb will improve when health improves, te will improve when cook's health improves, etc, etc, etc.

if the Packers can weather the health storm, make at least the last playoff spot, and continue to improve, they might be able to make some noise...which will get us another draft spot near/at the end of the first round. this team is getting more and more behind in the talent department. tt needs to develop more of a 'win now' attitude and get involved in FA and trading.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gbgary View Post
    ilb play will come with more experience. pass rush will come when matthews health returns, cb and rb will improve when health improves, te will improve when cook's health improves, etc, etc, etc.

if the Packers can weather the health storm, make at least the last playoff spot, and continue to improve, they might be able to make some noise...which will get us another draft spot near/at the end of the first round. this team is getting more and more behind in the talent department. tt needs to develop more of a 'win now' attitude and get involved in FA and trading.
    I agree with all that (and with Patler's OP) except the talent decline and your suggestion that TT isn't doing his part. But that's such a dead horse at this point I'm not inclined to take the time or energy to argue it. It's pretty clear by now nobody's changing anyone's minds on that issue.

Martinez and (to a lesser extent) Ryan were schooled yesterday, allowing the TE to have a career day off quick-strike play-action game. The little-used RB also came out the other end on a couple runs where Martinez was out of position being too aggressive. That's the kind of mistake you prefer but their mistakes allowed the Falcons to sustain a number of drives, including the last one. They'll learn no doubt but that was a problem yesterday.

Sanu had what I'm guessing was his best day as a Falcon which I thought was primarily due to Ryan being comfortable in the pocket and having time to go to his 2nd and 3rd read too often. They needed to get more pressure. Matthews being out didn't help for sure but the lack of QB pressure and the ILB's were the primary enablers in allowing the Falcons to do pretty much what they've averaged this year offensively - without their two most dangerous weapons in Coleman and Jones doing the damage.
    Last edited by vince; 10-31-2016 at 04:56 PM.

Yep, gotta hang in there and get healthy. Shields, Matthews, Perry and Randall would be nice on offense. Lacy, Cobb and Montgomery would be nice on offense.

That's IF Clay's vagina heals, the pass rush may return. I wouldn't count on either though.

Quote Originally Posted by JustinHarrell View Post
    Yep, gotta hang in there and get healthy. Shields, Matthews, Perry and Randall would be nice on offense. Lacy, Cobb and Montgomery would be nice on offense.
    Unfortunately, the best it can be is Shields or Lacy coming back. It can't be both.

Unfortunately, the best it can be is Shields or Lacy coming back. It can't be both.
    I suspect it will be Lacy. I have this gut feeling Sam has played his last game in green and gold.

Quote Originally Posted by Pugger View Post
    I suspect it will be Lacy. I have this gut feeling Sam has played his last game in green and gold.
    I've felt that way almost since he left the game.

at least as of this past Sunday:

#1 CB
    #2 CB*
    #3 CB*

#1/#2 OLB*

#1 RB*
    #2 RB*
    #3 RB from last year (Crockett)
    #1 Specialty RB/#4WR*

#1 TE*

#2 WR*
    #4 WR/#1 Specialty RB*

#4 Safety/ST stud

* - Should return well before the end of the season'

While the injuries are extensive right now, if the Packers can hang in there for a few weeks, they should start getting most of their injured players back. In the mean time, backup players are getting very valuable playing time.

Rollins should be back in the next week or two, Randall in about a month. The D-backfield will look a lot better at that time, and will have unusual depth.

Cook was seen at practice last week, working on his own, so he could be back in a couple weeks. Montgomery and Cobb aren't expected to be out long. With Ripkowski adding another dimension, the offense could have a very interesting look the second half of the season. Then if Lacy comes back it will add another dimension.
    I hate to say it, but with the Bears win last night and the fact pattern above and Rodger's performance on Sunday, God, I really hate to say it, but I am now............................................... .......................................... optimistic about this season.

Senior Rat HOFer Maxie the Taxi's Avatar
    Neither one of them is coming back next year, probably not this year either.
    One time Lombardi was disgusted with the team in practice and told them they were going to have to start with the basics. He held up a ball and said: "This is a football." McGee immediately called out, "Stop, coach, you're going too fast," and that gave everyone a laugh.
    John Maxymuk, Packers By The Numbers

So why keep Shields? Would there be a cap hit? Why not just reach an injury settlement?

Shutdown Corner Rat HOFer Anti-Polar Bear's Avatar
    Polar Bear's soft and he drafts soft players. No wonder the team is full of injury-prone milksops.

I dunno a lot about Vince Lombardi, other than that he condoned interracial relationships and winning at all costs ("wining ain't everything, it's the only thing"), but if he was cloned and coaching the Pack today, he'd tell the Claymaker to cut his girly hair and grow a fuckin' pair.

Hamstring injury? Stretch the thing up, tape it up and fuckin' play! It ain't like the Claymaker injured his calf. Believe me, calf injures should not be taken lightly - I once pulled a calf while running a mile on the treadmill and couldn't play disc golf for 3 weeks.
    I'm not going to stop the wheel. I'm going to break the wheel.

Quote Originally Posted by George Cumby View Post
    So why keep Shields? Would there be a cap hit? Why not just reach an injury settlement?
    They could release him if they wanted, but there is no injury settlement available. As a vested veteran who started the season on the roster, Shields is entitled to his salary whether cut or on IR. Injury settlements are available only for players without guaranteed salaries. They are entitled to their salary for the duration of their injury.
    Last edited by Patler; 11-01-2016 at 11:41 AM.

Oracle Rat HOFer Cheesehead Craig's Avatar
    He's only a 3.125M cap hit next year if he's done and next year is the last year of his deal. They are going to need that 8M if they want to keep Dix, who I think will bolt if the Pack don't show him the money before his contract runs out.
    All hail the Ruler of the Meadow!

Shields played one full game and a bit more between two concussions that were about 10 months apart. I don't see the Packers taking a risk on him next year.

They could release him if they wanted, but there is no injury settlement available. As a vested veteran who started the season on the roster, Shields is entitled to his salary whether cut or on IR. Injury settlements are available only for players without guaranteed salaries. They are entitled to their salary for the duration of their injury.
    Gotcha. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Anti-Polar Bear View Post
    Polar Bear's soft and he drafts soft players. No wonder the team is full of injury-prone milksops.

I dunno a lot about Vince Lombardi, other than that he condoned interracial relationships and winning at all costs ("wining ain't everything, it's the only thing"), but if he was cloned and coaching the Pack today, he'd tell the Claymaker to cut his girly hair and grow a fuckin' pair.

Hamstring injury? Stretch the thing up, tape it up and fuckin' play! It ain't like the Claymaker injured his calf. Believe me, calf injures should not be taken lightly - I once pulled a calf while running a mile on the treadmill and couldn't play disc golf for 3 weeks.
    Hammies are a bad injury. Long muscle belly, used in explosive movements, prone to tearing, especially so if previously injured. Just taping it up and playing would be imbecilic. Like you.