Page 10 of 28 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 20 ... LastLast

Thread: Official 2017 NFL draft thread

I don't think he reaches either. But if he can fit a need with someone his board values at a spot, he takes them. Was HaHa the next highest rated player on the board?

No idea, but he had a first round grade and was available at a position of sore need.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Wolf Pack Rat HOFer Deputy Nutz's Avatar
    Clinton Dix was a mid first rounder. I certainly wouldn't say Thompson reached

Quote Originally Posted by Deputy Nutz View Post
    Clinton Dix was a mid first rounder. I certainly wouldn't say Thompson reached
    Precisely. Which frames Thompson's approach this way:

He preferes BPA, but is not above drafting for need if value exists for that pick/round.

The second part of that, call it the Nelson/Cobb collolary, is that if multiple players with similar grades exist that fit a need at a given spot, he will look to trade down.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Thompson always seems to address a need in the first round.

Oracle Rat HOFer Cheesehead Craig's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Deputy Nutz View Post
    Thompson always seems to address a need in the first round.
    Amazing how biggest need and BPA seem to intersect so often in the 1st round isn't it?
    All hail the Ruler of the Meadow!

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesehead Craig View Post
    Amazing how biggest need and BPA seem to intersect so often in the 1st round isn't it?
    Stunning. Except for pass rush and QB.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    Precisely. Which frames Thompson's approach this way:

He preferes BPA, but is not above drafting for need if value exists for that pick/round.

The second part of that, call it the Nelson/Cobb collolary, is that if multiple players with similar grades exist that fit a need at a given spot, he will look to trade down.
    That's what I see too. This argument's been going on forever and the answer is both, not either/or.

Ted's all about maximizing value - which marries quality (tiered across positions) with need (positional value for GB). Sometimes that suggests a trade-up (impending drop in value ratio), which is obviously costly when it misses - and other times it means getting more swings when he can maintain value and increase his chances of hitting.

The reason Ted says it's all about BPA (which is true depending on your definition of "best") is it alows him to avoid answering questions about where the team is currently weak, which opens up a can of worms about current players and Ted rightfully doesn't want to go there.

And sometimes Ted is covering for possible needs that might not appear for a year or two down the line.

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesehead Craig View Post
    With our continued success we are drafting near the end of the 1st round so most of the players we take are marginally 2nd rounders. Usually by the time we pick most of the real game changers are long gone.

Had Ted ever said its all about BPA? I think that was the writers trying to explain not always drafting for what the public views as need. It started almost immediately.

Q: Why not get Brett some help rather than draft a future QB?

A: Ted believes in BPA

Blog Entries
    Yeah I've heard Ted say that he/they believe that a BPA strategy is the best route and that drafting for need leads to reaching for players who might not pan out like teams hope. I'd have to go back to his post-draft press conferences but he says that. It's convenient for him to say because it avoids him fielding questions about team weakness and/or player concerns. Ted has complete confidence in all his guys when he's at the podium - as he should.

It's pretty hard to say one player really stands out at any given time as BPA. Arguably the last time that happened, we got Aaron Rodgers. Most of the time, you have several or a lot of players all about on the same level, and you grab the one from among those who suits your needs the best.

Obviously, this year our biggest area of need is Corner. I think that need would best be addressed in free agency. If that doesn't occur, the next best thing is Round 1 of the draft. If it does occur, we really don't have a clear top need, so BPA becomes more meaningful.
    What could be more GOOD and NORMAL and AMERICAN than Packer Football?

Is this a good year for corners in this draft?

Quote Originally Posted by Pugger View Post
    Is this a good year for corners in this draft?
    I'm hearing its deep at

Corner
    Running back
    Safety
    Pass rushers (several in the top 2 or 3 rounds)

Knowing ted and how he values size in the early rounds, I imagine we're gonna take a pass rusher (most rare piece) then a corner and RB cuz they're needs and the draft is strong there.

Packers needs are pretty apparent and it is defending the pass. There are two ways of dealing with this when looking at the draft. You can draft pass rush in the form of edge rushers because the Packers struggle to get any interior pass rush from their line on a regular basis. The second way of attacking the weak pass defense is up grading your outside corner play. Personally, I think Thompson will look to draft an edge rusher and add depth later in the draft at corner back. I think Thompson still has higher hopes for Rollins and Randall. I don't think Thompson has the balls to go a different direction with the first round pick. He wouldn't spend a top selection on an offensive guard, he might get tricky and take a receiver if one of the top three drop to the Packers. Same with the top two tight ends in the draft.

The Combine will tell more about the available players. When you are looking at players that play on the outside or on the edge speed and explosiveness are the main ingredients towards the pecking order.

the problem with drafting a CB, is that those guys seem to take 2 or 3 years to develop

and we need a #1

so if we do try and fix the CB spot just through the draft, then the secondary is gonna suck just as much next year as it did this year

Quote Originally Posted by red View Post
    the problem with drafting a CB, is that those guys seem to take 2 or 3 years to develop

and we need a #1

so if we do try and fix the CB spot just through the draft, then the secondary is gonna suck just as much next year as it did this year
    Sam Shields was the Packers nickel back as a rookie. On the Packers, that basically means you're a starter. Casey Hayward has his best season as a rookie with 6 INT's. Packers need a CB who can start outside, but rookies can start and play well. Especially if TT drafts one who's been a CB for more than a year.

let me clarify

we need someone we can put on the other teams top WR, and hold him under 150 yards

Quote Originally Posted by red View Post
    let me clarify

we need someone we can put on the other teams top WR, and hold him under 150 yards
    Very true.

First round talent that could drop due to injury

Myles Garrett: He has all the talent to go number one in the draft but he dealt with a nagging ankle injury that cut into his production in 2016. He is number one in just about all rankings and mock drafts and the ankle most likely not be the reason he falls in the draft. It will because of teams at the top of the draft have significant needs at QB.

Leonard Fournette: He tried to play through an ankle injury for most of the season and was not 100% healthy in 2016 which regardless of opinions was a significant reason for missing the Tigers' bowl game. He has everything, size, speed, and can catch the ball out of the backfield. He could be the next Adrian Peterson and like Peterson I can see him falling in the first round of the draft due to team needs. He should answer a lot of health questions during the combine or team day.

Malik Hooker: One of the best combinations of size, speed, and football awareness in the draft for a defensive back. Unfortunately he already went under the knife for a hip injury. He will not be working out at the combine. Teams want a healthy first round draft pick coming into camp, and if all goes well with rehab he should be able to participate without restrictions. I can see him being pushed down draft boards because of medical concerns, which would make him a steal if he fell past the tenth pick.

Ryan Ramczyk : Rated as the number one linemen coming into the draft by many, but like Hooker he had to have hip surgery after his college season. He should be the number one linemen to go in the draft unless there are medical concerns. Ramczyk might be more of a right tackle or interior guard right away but he has the athletic ability to play left tackle. If he falls past the first half of teams he could really bolster an already good football team.

Corey Davis: A shoulder injury late in the season derailed his hopes of showing off his skills at the senior bowl. This small school receiver made a name for himself in his four seasons at Western Michigan leading his team to the Cotton Bowl. Davis has that rare combination of size strength and speed at the receiver position. He is quite polished and could be an added piece to an offense late in the first round.

Malik McDowell: There is nothing major with this defensive linemen from Michigan St, but scouts are concerned with his overall toughness and durability. He missed snaps in Big Ten games due to insignificant injuries. This could be more damning to scouts then players listed with significant injuries heading into the draft.

Carl Lawson: He was healthy for the 2016 season as a pass rusher off the edge for the Auburn Tigers, but he missed the 2015 season to an ACL and hip injury. He is a high motor kid that rushes with a quick burst off the snap and attacks the pass blocker.