Page 22 of 28 FirstFirst ... 12 20 21 22 23 24 ... LastLast

Thread: Official 2017 NFL draft thread

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Tyus bowser looks good off the edge.

Put Mike Tanier down as a counter about Teez Tabor's first round prospects. http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2...aft-day-slides

Repeat after me: Teams do not draft slow cornerbacks.

But Teez Tabor succeeded against the highest-level competition outside the NFL. That should translate...

Teams do not draft slow cornerbacks.

You need to watch some tape. You'll see he can...

Teams do not draft slow cornerbacks.

You are putting way too much stock in workout results and not enough stock in...

TEAMS DO NOT DRAFT SLOW CORNERBACKS (sky darkens, thunder rumbles in distance).

Tabor ran a 4.62 40 at the combine and was clocked anywhere between 4.75 seconds and "he's still running" at Florida's pro day. Most teams have a minimum speed threshold for draftable cornerbacks, and that threshold hovers around 4.6 seconds. Any slower than that, and the cornerback is too great a liability in man coverage against too high a percentage of NFL receivers to be anything but a nickel and dime role player.

Tabor's size, instincts and other qualities will get him drafted by the middle of Day 2, when teams can start shopping for matchup players or high-upside projects. But Tabor looked like a potential top-15 pick before anyone saw him run. No amount of finger-crossing, video editing or excuse mongering will keep him there
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Senior Rat HOFer Maxie the Taxi's Avatar
    Razul Douglas ran a 4.59 at the Combine.
    One time Lombardi was disgusted with the team in practice and told them they were going to have to start with the basics. He held up a ball and said: "This is a football." McGee immediately called out, "Stop, coach, you're going too fast," and that gave everyone a laugh.
    John Maxymuk, Packers By The Numbers

Quote Originally Posted by Maxie the Taxi View Post
    Razul Douglas ran a 4.59 at the Combine.
    Wasn't he in Batman Begins?
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    Wasn't he in Batman Begins?
    A distant cousin maybe.
    One time Lombardi was disgusted with the team in practice and told them they were going to have to start with the basics. He held up a ball and said: "This is a football." McGee immediately called out, "Stop, coach, you're going too fast," and that gave everyone a laugh.

a mock on nfl network just had us picking mixon. (bucky brooks)

Quote Originally Posted by gbgary View Post
    a mock on nfl network just had us picking mixon. (bucky brooks)
    That comforts me because I think Bucky Brooks is a terrible analyst. I don't think we'll ever see TT use a 1st round pick on a RB, especially one with Mixon's red flag.

I like this scout. He calls teams idiots (possibly including the Packers) rather than the kids in the draft.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2...nfl-draft-buzz

I've been fooling with the draft simulator for a couple of years now and I agree with the scout that this draft is "top heavy." After the 2nd or 3rd round it's slim pickings. I wouldn't be surprised if TT traded up for a guy they really value/need.

That and the fact that we need a little bit of Quality rather than a lot of quantity.
    What could be more GOOD and NORMAL and AMERICAN than Packer Football?

Quote Originally Posted by texaspackerbacker View Post
    That and the fact that we need a little bit of Quality rather than a lot of quantity.
    TT is all about quantity over quality.
    wist

Quote Originally Posted by wist43 View Post
    TT is all about quantity over quality.
    You really think that if TT had a choice between LT and three Datone Joneses, he'd pick the three Datone Joneses? The truth is that no one knows who the next LT or Ray Lewis is. The more picks in the draft you get, the more likely it is to hit on someone, especially when the "surefire" players have all been taken already (Top 10ish).

I'm sure there's data out there (that I would love to have) that has the possibility of drafting a star attached to each draft slot. I'd love to take that data up against a trade chart and see if moving up 10 spots in the draft adds as much potential quality as losing next year's number 1 draft pick would lose. My gut tells me the losses outweigh the gains unless you're starting from the middle of the pack and moving into the Top 10. Starting at the bottom of the round, you have to pray that you're lucky.

TT has only had a few mid or top of the round picks:
    2006: AJ Hawk (#5). Reliable starter, eminently replaceable (but wasn't) in a draft that was overall just terrible.
    2007: Justin Harrell (#16). A miss. Injuries killed his career. I don't like calling injured players busts as I reserve that for the Ahmad Carrolls of the NFL, but you can if you want
    2009: BJ Raji (#9). Flashed very brightly in 2010 helping lead to a Super Bowl. I don't know how I'd rank him otherwise, but I'd trade the #9 pick in the draft for that kind of performance in a Super Bowl winning year.

Those are the only times TT picked within the Top 20. After Rodgers first starting season, he hasn't picked inside the 20s (barring a trade up, this will be the eighth year in a row). Restocking and finding quality is tough when two thirds of the league has picked their favorites before you get a chance.

Here are the rest of TT's first round picks in draft order:
    21 (2014): HHCD - appears to be long term starter and a good player
    23 (2010): Bulaga - long term starter and a good player
    26 (2009): Matthews - the second first round pick that year, and someone who had several great seasons to start his career but has tapered off due to injuries; still a good player
    27 (2016): Clark - too early to tell, but he flashed in the playoffs against a good Dallas O-line
    28 (2012): Perry - not a flashy pass rusher, but a very good run defender, and some argue more important to the D than Matthews because of that
    30 (2015): Randall - a terrible sophomore campaign that followed a very promising rookie campaign--he's got one more year to turn it around before we Casey Hayward him.
    30 (2008): Traded into second round for Jordy Nelson
    32 (2011): Sherrod - along with Harrell, the only (so far--Randall, I'm watching you) outright miss by TT in the first round, but again, due to injuries; as I recall though, many people hated the Harrell pick but loved the Sherrod pick at the time. Both failed for the same three reasons: injuries, injuries, injuries.

Anyway, with only 2 out of 12 (maybe 3 depending on how Randall rebounds) first round picks outright failing to deliver value for the Packers, I'd say he's done a pretty good job picking through the leftovers at the end of the round.

If Clark doesn't turn into something special though, I would think we're due for another star in this draft. It's random and completely unpredictable, but we haven't gotten a bonafide star for a while.

P.S. Sorry for the text wall. Just had my second cup of coffee.
    No longer the member of any fan clubs. I'm tired of jinxing players out of the league and into obscurity.

Quote Originally Posted by Smidgeon View Post
    You really think that if TT had a choice between LT and three Datone Joneses, he'd pick the three Datone Joneses? The truth is that no one knows who the next LT or Ray Lewis is. The more picks in the draft you get, the more likely it is to hit on someone, especially when the "surefire" players have all been taken already (Top 10ish).

I'm sure there's data out there (that I would love to have) that has the possibility of drafting a star attached to each draft slot. I'd love to take that data up against a trade chart and see if moving up 10 spots in the draft adds as much potential quality as losing next year's number 1 draft pick would lose. My gut tells me the losses outweigh the gains unless you're starting from the middle of the pack and moving into the Top 10. Starting at the bottom of the round, you have to pray that you're lucky.
    Here you go: http://www.nber.org/papers/w11270.pdf (Cade Massey, Richard H. Thaler)

NFL teams (and it goes without saying, message board commenters) are over-confident about their ability to succeed with higher draft picks (the "right to choose"). They incorrectly ignore or underestimate the unknown variables and the resulting inability to make correct picks above 50% of the time. Therefore they eschew the obvious mitigation strategy of acquiring more picks.

Quote Originally Posted by Smidgeon View Post

TT has only had a few mid or top of the round picks:
    2006: AJ Hawk (#5). Reliable starter, eminently replaceable (but wasn't) in a draft that was overall just terrible.
    2007: Justin Harrell (#16). A miss. Injuries killed his career. I don't like calling injured players busts as I reserve that for the Ahmad Carrolls of the NFL, but you can if you want
    2009: BJ Raji (#9). Flashed very brightly in 2010 helping lead to a Super Bowl. I don't know how I'd rank him otherwise, but I'd trade the #9 pick in the draft for that kind of performance in a Super Bowl winning year.

Those are the only times TT picked within the Top 20. After Rodgers first starting season, he hasn't picked inside the 20s (barring a trade up, this will be the eighth year in a row). Restocking and finding quality is tough when two thirds of the league has picked their favorites before you get a chance.

Here are the rest of TT's first round picks in draft order:
    21 (2014): HHCD - appears to be long term starter and a good player
    23 (2010): Bulaga - long term starter and a good player
    26 (2009): Matthews - the second first round pick that year, and someone who had several great seasons to start his career but has tapered off due to injuries; still a good player
    27 (2016): Clark - too early to tell, but he flashed in the playoffs against a good Dallas O-line
    28 (2012): Perry - not a flashy pass rusher, but a very good run defender, and some argue more important to the D than Matthews because of that
    30 (2015): Randall - a terrible sophomore campaign that followed a very promising rookie campaign--he's got one more year to turn it around before we Casey Hayward him.
    30 (2008): Traded into second round for Jordy Nelson
    32 (2011): Sherrod - along with Harrell, the only (so far--Randall, I'm watching you) outright miss by TT in the first round, but again, due to injuries; as I recall though, many people hated the Harrell pick but loved the Sherrod pick at the time. Both failed for the same three reasons: injuries, injuries, injuries.

Anyway, with only 2 out of 12 (maybe 3 depending on how Randall rebounds) first round picks outright failing to deliver value for the Packers, I'd say he's done a pretty good job picking through the leftovers at the end of the round.

If Clark doesn't turn into something special though, I would think we're due for another star in this draft. It's random and completely unpredictable, but we haven't gotten a bonafide star for a while.

P.S. Sorry for the text wall. Just had my second cup of coffee.
    The argument against staying put and simply drafting what falls to you is that you are not going to come away with impact players.

We have baskets full of young developmental guys, and scant few difference makers. Were it not for 1 pick (Rodgers) TT likely would have been fired by now.

That said, the biggest problem this team has is the problem it always has - defense. The fact is - TT and the Packers as an organization are not good at evaluating, drafting, and developing defensive players. Currently, and for too many years running now, a lot of this blame rests with dunderdummy - but then since TT refuses to fire the idiot, it has to come back to Ted.

Sans Matthews, none of the players you've cited is an impact player... and Matthews is past his prime.

I expect nothing to change, and I fully expect another playoff berth, followed by a defensive meltdown resulting in another playoff exit.

Rinse. Repeat.
    Last edited by wist43; 04-14-2017 at 07:30 AM.
    wist

Silverstein:

Fresno St. H-back Aaron Peck, 6-3, 235, 4.63, 37 VJ, 22 bench, among #Packers' draft visits. Stats: 46-630-3 in '16. Missed '15 w/foot inj.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    Silverstein:

Fresno St. H-back Aaron Peck, 6-3, 235, 4.63, 37 VJ, 22 bench, among #Packers' draft visits. Stats: 46-630-3 in '16. Missed '15 w/foot inj.
    Aren't most of their visits guys who aren't expected to be drafted and who might get signed to PS? If I had to guess I would say this is about filling the 90 man roster and potential practice squad material.

WHY would the Packers have any interest at all in yet another TE or FB?
    What could be more GOOD and NORMAL and AMERICAN than Packer Football?

Quote Originally Posted by texaspackerbacker View Post
    WHY would the Packers have any interest at all in yet another TE or FB?
    They only have 4 on the roster. They have carried five before.

This is more plausible than the RB has a huge hole argument.

Rat-A-Tat-Tat Veteran BZnDallas's Avatar
    Great post Smidgeon! For some on this site, if you're not Ditka going after Ricky Williams then you aren't doing enough. Just is what it is I guess. I do appreciate the distraction during the off season though.
    Now what y'all know about dem Texas boys
    Comin' down in candied toys, smokin' weed and talkin' noise!!!

Dougherty piece on Watt: http://www.packersnews.com/story/spo...ers/100376830/

For the record, both scouts have early second-round grades on Watt. But that doesn’t exclude him as a possible late first-round pick even in their minds.
    According to MockDraftable’s data that goes back to the 1999 combine, Watt’s 40 time (4.69 seconds) was only a little above average for an outside linebacker and his bench press (21 reps) was slightly below average. But his other tests for athleticism stood out: His three-cone drill (6.79 seconds) was in the 90th percentile, short shuttle (4.13 seconds) 84th percentile, broad jump (128 inches) 95th percentile and vertical jump (37 inches) 82nd percentile.

He also has good length (6-feet-4½, 93rd percentile) and weight (252 pounds, 89th percentile).

Anyone have a first 10 yards number for Watt from his 40?

One of the scouts ranked them as 3-4 prospects, in order, Harris, Watt, Bowser, Lawson.

“I think Watt will be good,” one of the scouts said. “I don’t know how great he’ll be.”

The other scout predicted Harris will be better than Watt as a rookie, but he sees more long term in Watt.