Page 24 of 28 FirstFirst ... 14 22 23 24 25 26 ... LastLast

Thread: Official 2017 NFL draft thread

Quote Originally Posted by SMBASS View Post
    I'm in the camp of hoping we don't draft Peppers. I've never been sold on him for a variety of reasons.
    As a U of M alum (not really a fan of the team any more), I can tell you I think the guy is way, way overhyped. They kept saying he was a game changer. I never saw it.

Hope the Pack avoids him.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Quote Originally Posted by JustinHarrell View Post
    I like that you're an independent thinker with unique perspectives. But don't fall into the trap of thinking these couple guys are the good ones. So much uncertainty. I'll bet you end up with either 1 or two at the most decent players in that group. That's how much of a crapshoot the draft is. So I think this would go very badly because you just never know how a guy will play in the more complex, faster, and physical NFL.
    As I've said in the past, the one thing we can't do that GM's and coaches can, is sit down with these kids and look em in the eye. Talk to their college coaches, look into their background, posse problems, etc...

If any of those guys I've listed is knucklehead?? I haven't heard anything about it. So, if their character and background check out, based on what is on tape?? and their obvious potential?? I'd take those 4 guys in heartbeat over the "basket of bodies" approach that TT will surely throw at us again.

We're long since past the point of needing to flesh out the mid-to-bottom 1/3 of roster, we need to fill starting lineup holes with difference makers.
    wist

The NFL game is very different than college. Clay Matthews was the 3rd best lb on his college team and the best of the three in the NFL. That's just how uncertain things are.

Quote Originally Posted by wist43 View Post
    As I've said in the past, the one thing we can't do that GM's and coaches can, is sit down with these kids and look em in the eye. Talk to their college coaches, look into their background, posse problems, etc...

If any of those guys I've listed is knucklehead?? I haven't heard anything about it. So, if their character and background check out, based on what is on tape?? and their obvious potential?? I'd take those 4 guys in heartbeat over the "basket of bodies" approach that TT will surely throw at us again.

We're long since past the point of needing to flesh out the mid-to-bottom 1/3 of roster, we need to fill starting lineup holes with difference makers.
    Wist, you and I have our differences, and they are huge, but in the above, which I've bolded, we agree. I am so, so tired of this Packer defense looking like a helpless puppy while offenses have their way over and over and over. Unlike you, I don't think it's Capers - the guy calls a defense, but his cornerbacks - the number one and two picks of a draft two years ago - are trailing seven yards behind their wide receivers while the QB stands in the pocket and the pass rushers get swallowed up like marshmallow puffs.

That shit has gotten very, very old. So, you're right: this defense needs some playmakers, not solid pros.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

The Packers D would be MUCH worse without Capers and his schemes compensating for that lack of difference makers. I must have said that a dozen times. It would sure be nice to see what his scheming would yield if we did get a difference maker or two or three.
    What could be more GOOD and NORMAL and AMERICAN than Packer Football?

As I said in my post above, Tex, I agree with you. I don't think it's Capers's fault that his players can't cover or get to the passer. I don't think it's a scheme problem.

KYPack

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    As I said in my post above, Tex, I agree with you. I don't think it's Capers's fault that his players can't cover or get to the passer. I don't think it's a scheme problem.
    Who called a Cover 0 blitz on 3rd and long (might have been 2nd and long) in OT versus the Seahawks that allowed a long Seattle TD to win the game with no safety deep (NFC Championship Game)?

Everyone has their hand in these failures. Neither one is incompetent. Capers and Thompson don't need to be replaced, they need to find a way to work more seamlessly together. Capers has taken WAY too long to adjust to draft and develop rather than hang on to veterans.

Thompson (and also possibly Capers/Whitt) cannot find corners who can play zone reliably.

Roughly, I think that is why the offense tends to start off with a bang and the defense tends to get better recently. Last year was a weird aberration.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

My point would be that it wasn't the call, it was the execution. On a blitz, Wilson shouldn't have time to let his receiver go...and go....and go....and go....

I don't want Thompson replaced; you know that. I want him to get two big playmakers for this defense.

KYPack

My point would be that it wasn't the call, it was the execution. On a blitz, Wilson shouldn't have time to let his receiver go...and go....and go....and go....

I don't want Thompson replaced; you know that. I want him to get two big playmakers for this defense.
    I know you don't. But sometimes blitzes don't get home and sometimes players don't make the play.

This is the adjustment that he and Thompson must make. Sometime you gotta be able to play coverage and it might be a good idea to mix man and zone. But somehow the Packers just can't manage it.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Blog Entries

Trade in Gramps for Eliot !
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

It's not just a matter of No Blame, though. It's the schemes that MAKE the defense right now. Without all that trickery and compensation, we would be a helluva lot worse than we are. As for the times when we get exposed like pbmax mentioned, that's kinda the price you pay - sometimes the other guys outguess you. It's better IMO than playing them straight up and getting beat consistently by teams with better offensive personnel than we have on D.

I shake my head sometimes. I was looking at a mock draft on NFL.com. They had the Packers taking Shaquill Griffin. I see the NFL comparison is Ladarius Gunter. Makes sense, I thought. I looked at Griffin's 40 time... 4.38.
    "There's a lot of interest in the draft. It's great. But quite frankly, most of the people that are commenting on it don't know anything about what they are talking about."--Ted Thompson

If by that, they mean Griffin is instinctive and a good coverage guy, he sounds like a good pick. Gunter a damn decent even being fairly slow, and you take somebody with similar skills and 4.38 speed, and that's one helluva Corner.

They must be mocking solely off combine results. Despite testing well, Griffin is listed as anywhere from R3 to R6 on most of the other draft sites. Taking him R1 would have a horde of GB fans yelling "reach!" and getting their pitchforks and torches.

I think I woud be okay with something like this....

29: EDGE T.J. WATT - WISCONSIN
    61: CB FABIAN MOREAU - UCLA
    93: G DANNY ISIDORA - MIAMI (FLA.)
    134: RB SAMAJE PERINE - OKLAHOMA or D'ONTA FOREMAN TEXAS
    172: EDGE DAWUANE SMOOT - ILLINOIS
    182: DL CHARLES WALKER - OKLAHOMA
    212: TE ERIC SAUBERT - DRAKE
    247: LB BEN BOULWARE - CLEMSON
    Last edited by jklowan; 04-16-2017 at 09:13 AM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jklowan View Post
    I think I woud be okay with something like this....

29: EDGE T.J. WATT - WISCONSIN
    61: CB FABIAN MOREAU - UCLA
    93: G DANNY ISIDORA - MIAMI (FLA.)
    134: RB SAMAJE PERINE - OKLAHOMA or D'ONTA FOREMAN TEXAS
    172: EDGE DAWUANE SMOOT - ILLINOIS
    182: DL CHARLES WALKER - OKLAHOMA
    212: TE ERIC SAUBERT - DRAKE
    247: LB BEN BOULWARE - CLEMSON

KUDOS !!!! This would be a fabulous draft !!!!!!!
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

i really don't like the fact that we've brought in all the top RB prospects

if we draft one in the first 2 or 3 rounds i'm gonna be furious

people keep saying that RB isn't a big hole for the team right now, yet we're taking a nice hard look at all the top ones

if we do draft one early it will be a total fail on TT's part. it will be nothing more then trying to go cheap at a position, when we have tons of free cap space, when we have much greater needs

Bet we draft two RBs this year. One in the 4th and one in the 6th or 7th

Quote Originally Posted by red View Post
    i really don't like the fact that we've brought in all the top RB prospects

if we draft one in the first 2 or 3 rounds i'm gonna be furious

people keep saying that RB isn't a big hole for the team right now, yet we're taking a nice hard look at all the top ones

if we do draft one early it will be a total fail on TT's part. it will be nothing more then trying to go cheap at a position, when we have tons of free cap space, when we have much greater needs
    Who have they brought in beside Mixon?

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    Who have they brought in beside Mixon?
    don't know, there were 4 or 5 or so rb's that they've talked too, and it might have just been meetings like at the senior bowl or combine

i saw it on walter football, but the site isn't cooperating right now, under the prospect visit tracker

but cook was also one of the names for sure