Page 5 of 28 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 ... LastLast

Thread: Official 2017 NFL draft thread

Jumbo Rat HOFer
    Quote Originally Posted by red View Post
    i think the wins the last two weeks might have taken us out of the fournette sweepstakes. i've seen him lasting as long as 10 or 11.

we'll probably be drafting in the early 20's with the pace we're on
    Good, I don't trust a back who is injured in college and gets a lot of crazy yard games against inferior teams.
    But Rodgers leads the league in frumpy expressions and negative body language on the sideline, which makes him, like Josh Allen, a unique double threat.

-Tim Harmston

Quote Originally Posted by ThunderDan View Post
    Good, I don't trust a back who is injured in college and gets a lot of crazy yard games against inferior teams.
    You're describing is Adrian Peterson

In all seriousness, I don't see AP is Fournette (I've only seen Fournette play twice, though). I don't see the acceleration there. That is what made AP special, he was so explosive immediately.

Oracle Rat HOFer Cheesehead Craig's Avatar
    I think Fournette will disappoint in the NFL. I too, see a guy who seems to get hurt a lot. Also, he disappears in big games.
    All hail the Ruler of the Meadow!

Good year to draft a running back. Could be as many as 10 or more taken in the first 3 rounds. Any love around here from Badger fans for taking Clement in the 3-4 rounds?

Another interesting name is Nick Chubb. Ran for over 1500 yards at Georgia in 2014, and was probably the favorite to win the Heisman in 2015 before a terrible knee injury half way through the season. Played well this season although numbers were down averaging 4.8 YPC on 207 carries. It will be interesting to see when teams are willing to pull the trigger on him. CBS currently has him rated a 2-3 round prospect.

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    Good year to draft a running back. Could be as many as 10 or more taken in the first 3 rounds. Any love around here from Badger fans for taking Clement in the 3-4 rounds?

Another interesting name is Nick Chubb. Ran for over 1500 yards at Georgia in 2014, and was probably the favorite to win the Heisman in 2015 before a terrible knee injury half way through the season. Played well this season although numbers were down averaging 4.8 YPC on 207 carries. It will be interesting to see when teams are willing to pull the trigger on him. CBS currently has him rated a 2-3 round prospect.
    Clement will probably get drafted but not until late. He doesn't seem break many tackles at the college level.

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post

Does Nick have any weight issues?

Quote Originally Posted by Zool View Post
    Clement will probably get drafted but not until late. He doesn't seem break many tackles at the college level.
    Agreed, he is neither especially fast nor elusive nor hard to bring down. I think he's the worst feature back the Badgers have had in quite a while.

Quote Originally Posted by hoosier View Post
    Agreed, he is neither especially fast nor elusive nor hard to bring down. I think he's the worst feature back the Badgers have had in quite a while.
    If he had PJ Hill's O line this would be a different conversation.

But I agree, he doesn't appear destined for Sunday greatness.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by hoosier View Post
    Does Nick have any weight issues?
    If you're asking me if Chubb is his real last name, I have no idea.

I say draft Nick Chub. I want to get a t-shirt with his Packer number on the back,and on the front it'll say "I've got a chubbie!" with his picture on the front, preferably holding a giant turkey leg dripping with barbecue sauce. And if you position the turkey leg pointing straight up in front of his mouth, that's even better.

My draft board is admittedly based on different metrics than most.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Pair him in the backfield with Lacy: Chubb and Chubby.

PJ Hill. I was trying to remember the truly mediocre Badger tailbacks, and kept coming up with guys who were better than mediocre, like Calhoun and Fletcher. PJ Hill fits the bill.

Random Badger note:

Tom Oates ‏@TomOatesWSJ 51m51 minutes ago
    NFL teams told @BobMcGinn that #Badgers LT Ryan Ramczyk will have arthroscopic surgery to fix torn labrum in hip after bowl. Out 4 months.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

theres a video out of mixon from oklahoma punching some chick in the face, suppose to be worse then the ray rice video

theres a first rounder making sure he goes undrafted

How NFL teams are evaluating and valuing athletic explosion in their draft prospects.

https://theringer.com/nfl-playoffs-d...837#.53qbakza4

- 3 cone, broad jump, vertical jump, short shuttle

- These are all claims you have seen before, Seahawks used a more refined system from Nike called SPARQ that launched a bunch of imitators

Data on similar numbers for players, see Jason Spriggs at 10th for all O lineman n 2016 draft.
    https://3sigmaathlete.com/rankings/ol/

I dunno if he'll last until we pick but I want TJ Watt like no tomorrow. High ceiling, high floor. I think he'll test worse than some would expect since I don't think he's a burner, but I think he'll be a darn fine NFL pass rusher.

Senior Rat HOFer Maxie the Taxi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    - These are all claims you have seen before, Seahawks used a more refined system from Nike called SPARQ that launched a bunch of imitators

Data on similar numbers for players, see Jason Spriggs at 10th for all O lineman n 2016 draft.
    https://3sigmaathlete.com/rankings/ol/
    The correlation between SPARQ rating and Packer personnel transactions is striking. I've been watching it for a while now. I posted the following in early September:

Quote Originally Posted by Maxie the Taxi View Post
    Just as an aside, I've been watching the Packer's personnel moves with an eye on the SPARQ rankings which, I guess, attempt to grade and compare the athletic abilities of NFL players and prospects. The correlation is uncanny. I suspect TT puts a lot of stock in them.

For instance, Devin Cajuste is ranked #5 among all WR prospects and Herb Waters #20. That puts Cajuste in the company of Josh Doctson and Corey Coleman and Waters ahead of Sterling Shepard. Doctson, Coleman and Shepard are all starting caliber draft choices.

Also, if you are surprised TT didn't draft Reggie Raglund, it could be because Ragland ranked #77 among LB prospects whereas Kyler Fackrell was #57 and Blake Martinez was #55.

By the way, Dean Lowry was ranked #5 among Defensive Linemen and Brandon Burks, Don Jackson and Jhurell Pressley were ranked #12, #13, and #14 respectively among all rookie running backs.

Kind of too strange to be a coincidence.
    Yes, Spriggs is rated #10, but what's more telling is Lucas Patrick is rated #7 and he happens to be on TT's practice squad.

Look at where these other Packers fare with respect to SPARQ position rankings:

Beau Sandland #3; Josh Hawkins #7; Kentrell Brice #10; Trevor Davis #11; Ty Montgomery #15; Jermaine Whitehead #15; Marwin Evans #18; John Crockett #19; Keith Baxter #20; Christian Ringo #35; Joe Kerridge #37.

Virtually everytime TT puts an "unknown" name on the roster or the practice squad, that player's SPARQ rating is off the charts, or at least in the top 50. In many cases these lesser known players have SPARQ position ratings higher than those of the more recognizable, marquee players.

I'm not saying it's TT's only criteria and a high SPARQ position rating is by no means a guarantee of success in the NFL, but it seems to be a better indicator than most and I have to believe TT puts an inordinate amount of stock in it.
    One time Lombardi was disgusted with the team in practice and told them they were going to have to start with the basics. He held up a ball and said: "This is a football." McGee immediately called out, "Stop, coach, you're going too fast," and that gave everyone a laugh.
    John Maxymuk, Packers By The Numbers

^ Yep. Its no accident the Packers have seemed to be getting faster these days. Put an emphasis on coaching though. Whitt will thrive.

There was a moment a few years ago where Ted mentioned that he had started to hire people to dig into analytics in player personnel. He said it was something he was not comfortable with but felt he had to get comfortable with, or something similar.

I had hoped a writer would revisit this and I haven't seen anyone do it. But I think Maxie's post and that Ringer article make it clear he has moved in that direction.

Agree with drafting Nick Chubb.

Then we could have Chubby & Stubby.

Quote Originally Posted by call_me_ishmael View Post
    I dunno if he'll last until we pick but I want TJ Watt like no tomorrow. High ceiling, high floor. I think he'll test worse than some would expect since I don't think he's a burner, but I think he'll be a darn fine NFL pass rusher.
    He's rated around 10th in his position group from what I've seen. Packers will be able to draft him if they want him.