Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: DOUGHERTY---PACKERS RECENT DRAFTS MISSING THE MARK

Blog Entries

DOUGHERTY---PACKERS RECENT DRAFTS MISSING THE MARK

LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

Blog Entries
    hopefully this was not already posted. I"m sure it will be nitpicked and shredded. And I understand we should give them longer to develop. But ya gotta have a great batting average when this is your strategy .............or........you fall from the elite
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

I have not even read it but from memory:

Randall was a starting corner, who was still developing, making plays and still having some bad stretches, until he got hurt.

Rollins same as above, starting at his natural position of slot corner.

Jake Ryan and Blake Martinez finally filled the hole at ILB that had been explored since 2011. Their run D was impressive and Martinez's and Thomas' pass D was the best interior the Packers have had since Barnett and first year Hawk.

Jason Spriggs played out of position in the middle of a game and stoned the DT who had been wreaking havoc on the Packers passing game last week. He struggled with speed in his stint at LT replacing Bach, but he has had few reps at that position in a live game.

Clark has played better and better as the year has gone one. He has more pass rush than advertised but he does need to learn to handle and stand up double teams better. That is usually a skill a young player needs a year or two to bone up on.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Ryan and Martinez look half decent compared to what we have had at ILB - until you start to see what other teams have at that position, some higher drafted players, some of whom were talked about right here in this forum as good choices for the Packers, some players who kinda came out of nowhere and make Ryan and Martinez look pretty mediocre.

Randall and Rollins wouldn't be bad if they were mid round picks, but at #1 and 2, I for one expected better/quicker development.

It's too soon to say about Spriggs and Clark. They look decent, but then you see first and second year star-quality O and D linemen that other teams get. Other teams lose a couple of O Linemen and hardly miss a beat. We have to use damn Don Barkley - and Spriggs apparently is not even as highly thought of right now as him.

Bretsky nailed it. If somebody wants to do like Ted and build almost exclusively with the draft, he really needs to do better. Ted has gotten by for a long time on the magnificence of drafting Aaron Rodgers. Without that, his reputation would be shit, and he probably would have been gone a long time ago. He has been delinquent in maximizing things as a supporting cast for his superstar. That has resulted in slow decline and/or problems when injuries hit - hence the mess we are in now.
    What could be more GOOD and NORMAL and AMERICAN than Packer Football?

holy shit

i completely agree with tex

i feel sick
    Last edited by red; 11-27-2016 at 09:01 AM.

Better and quicker development might be easier to see of they weren't injured.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Jumbo Rat HOFer
    Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    Hard to develop when your groin is ripped so bad you need surgery.
    But Rodgers leads the league in frumpy expressions and negative body language on the sideline, which makes him, like Josh Allen, a unique double threat.

-Tim Harmston

Shutdown Corner Rat HOFer Anti-Polar Bear's Avatar
    Excuses.

With their sodomitic polar bear lifestyle, Rollins and Randall's groin injuries ain't surprising. But prior to them voodooed injuries, the two of them were ballin' like Mr. Hyde - and Hyde's an abomination.

Randall hasn't been a bona fide NFL corner since he idiotically abandoned man-coverage on Fitzgerald. Diggs and that Detriot WR made Randall their biotch. Rollins is nothing but a mediocre point guard trying to play corner.

You either have game or you don't. Randall and Rollins ain't got game, yo.
    I'm not going to stop the wheel. I'm going to break the wheel.

Can we stop calling it draft and develop, and call it what it really is, draft and be a starter, or key backup right away. No matter if they are first rounders or undrafted free agents. We rely heavily on these guys from day one.

And before Randall got hurt, wasn't he the biggest problem on the defense?
    Last edited by red; 11-27-2016 at 11:53 AM.

Ugh.
    C.H.U.D.

Quote Originally Posted by red View Post
    Can we stop calling it draft and develop, and call it what it really is, draft and be a starter, or key backup right away. No matter if they are first rounders or undrafted free agents. We rely heavily on these guys from day one.

He might have been the biggest problem on a fifth ranked defense on a winning team.

Everyone complaining about the talent outside of TE and ILB prior to this year is simply constructing a fantasy land where there are a number of teams with a better track record than the Packers, have more talent at each and every position, don't suffer waves of injuries and have no weak spots on the roster.

What team does not do this? Do you want to trade away draft picks? A seven pick draft class is 13% of the roster each year.

so as long as we win, shitty players aren't a problem?

What it REALLY is, is draft and hope and pray. The develop part is added to sound good.

What team does not do this? Do you want to trade away draft picks? A seven pick draft class is 13% of the roster each year.
    with us once you factor in udfa, its probably closer to 20%

we currently have 12 rookies on the active roster, plus 10 more second year players and 8 third year guys. thats well over half our roster on rookie contracts

thats a lot of inexperience
    Last edited by red; 11-27-2016 at 12:16 PM.

I've seen plenty of a healthy Randall and a healthy Rollins. They aren't particularly good. You expect them to be good when? 2018-2019?
    You blame our terrible defense on injuries. But for weeks I've watched guys like Rollins, Haha, Hyde, Burnett, Thomas, Gunter, etc get torched and tackle like shit and not know what they are doing. These guys are core rotation players that are supposed to be competent. They aren't.

so as long as we win, shitty players aren't a problem?
    If they win, maybe the shitty players aren't really all that shitty compared to the rest of the league.

Quote Originally Posted by yetisnowman View Post
    I've seen plenty of a healthy Randall and a healthy Rollins. They aren't particularly good. You expect them to be good when? 2018-2019?
    You blame our terrible defense on injuries. But for weeks I've watched guys like Rollins, Haha, Hyde, Burnett, Thomas, Gunter, etc get torched and tackle like shit and not know what they are doing. These guys are core rotation players that are supposed to be competent. They aren't.
    rollins is the one guy that i'm fine waiting for him to develop, he only has one year of pro and one year of college football under his belt. if anyone needs time to develop, its him. it would be nice for him to be able to be the #4 or 5 and just learn from a vet. insted he was the #3 out of the gate and became our #2 before half of his rookie season was done. and the one vet he has to learn from is probably legally brain dead

randall and rollins are the old guys in their second years

Quote Originally Posted by yetisnowman View Post
    So the first 5 weeks of the season were smoke and mirrors?

Last season with Matthews at ILB was a mirage?