Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Packers/Houston Discussion Thread

Shutdown Corner Rat HOFer Anti-Polar Bear's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheesehead Craig View Post
    People peak at different times. I think Hawk was hitting his peak in college and simply couldn't get any better even with NFL-level training. Then he started to decline earlier than others at his age. Perhaps Clay is the same way, he hit his peak fast and is simply unable to sustain it. I think we get spoiled with some players that can sustain a high level of excellence (Lawrence Taylor, Ray Lewis, Reggie White, etc) for an extended amount of time and when others cannot match that we think they suck.
    The Claymaker wasn't a regular starter til his 5th year in college, so he probably hasn't peaked yet.

Two reasons for the Claymaker's decline in production:

1. Claymaker - He's soft, especially at OLB. Takes himself out of the game and is a hamstring pull waiting to happen.

2. Polar Bear - Want proof of Thompson's incompetence? His failure to fix the miseries at ILB forced the Claymaker to waste almost 2 years of his prime playing ILB. Claymaker's a fucking elite OLB. He should not be playing ILB til he's a greybeard at 34. Thanks Ted!
    I'm not going to stop the wheel. I'm going to break the wheel.

Quote Originally Posted by Carolina_Packer View Post
    Perhaps Hawk was just a square peg in a round hole after the arrival of Capers and the nickel heavy 3-4 scheme. Never a thumper, and never a coverage guy. Great...let's play him at ILB. Why try and force the fit of a LB any more than forcing the fit of Aaron Kampman, who is a classic DE in a 4-3? I wonder if TT entertained the thought of trading Hawk when Capers was hired.
    Quote Originally Posted by Patler View Post
    I still don't understand what happened to Hawk. He was much faster and quicker his first couple years, but lost it all soon after. Awful young for a well conditioned athlete to lose so much. Brings back memories of guys like John Jefferson, John Brockington, etc. losing their athletic traits quite young.
    Quote Originally Posted by channtheman View Post
    Didn't he "bulk up" after a couple of years? I seem to recall a thread or discussion years ago throwing out the idea that his extra weight was slowing him down.
    I think Harv had a handle on this back in the day, but I believe he looked like the player you would expect at WILL linebacker his rookie season 2006. Not much of a jump in 07 or 08 but one of these years he had the Cullen Jenkins nagging injury going on.

2009 he looks much better with Capers, but he is inside now and bulked up. He actually plays well in 09 and 10. By the numbers 2010 was his best season.

But after 2010 (and maybe during) he and the rest of the defense begin to breakdown. Moving Raji to DT/DE (3 tech and not nose) probably plays a role as the Run D also tanked. Whatever Desmond Bishop brought to the Packers D starting on 2010 doesn't carry over to 2011.

And then it was downhill fast.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by Pugger View Post
    I heard we just resigned Callahan. Maybe Joe is gonna take Goodson's spot?
    Unless Rodgers' hammy pull is 10X worse than the Claymaker's, there's no reason or rhyme in keeping Callahan on the 53 men battalion.

Sign a fucking ILB or corner already, Polar Bear! Antonio Cromartie, yo!

So if his being "soft" is a reason for his decline in production, does this mean he did not used to be soft? If so, what, in your highly esteemed opinion, are the reasons for this increasing softness?

Ted Thompson wants and encourages players to be weak and soft?

Mike McCarthy is a teddy bear?
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Practice Squad

Packer Report ‏@PackerReport 7m7 minutes ago
    QB Joe Callahan is signed to the #Packers practice squad. There was a potential opening on the 53 with Goodson's injury.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    So if his being "soft" is a reason for his decline in production, does this mean he did not used to be soft? If so, what, in your highly esteemed opinion, are the reasons for this increasing softness?

Ted Thompson wants and encourages players to be weak and soft?

Mike McCarthy is a teddy bear?
    Claymaker was, is and has always been soft, which is not surprising since he's a Thompson pick. We all know Thompson is prone to drafting soft players. Would've been DPOY already if not for that softness.

Until this season where his serious back injury finally caught up with him, JJ Fucking Watt played through all types of slings and arrows, including hamstring pulls. Never once missed a fucking game. Watt is one though motherfucker. Claymaker, not so much.

You and Wist - you kill me. I always end up imagining the draft room. A scout makes a suggestion. Ted frowns. "Nah, he's too tough. I want soft players." Amongst the sabermetrics Ted has developed is the secret to his system: the pussyometer. Each player gets a score - 1 - 4 pussies, pasted on his scouting report. The more pussies on his report, the higher Ted ranks him.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    You and Wist - you kill me. I always end up imagining the draft room. A scout makes a suggestion. Ted frowns. "Nah, he's too tough. I want soft players." Amongst the sabermetrics Ted has developed is the secret to his system: the pussyometer. Each player gets a score - 1 - 4 pussies, pasted on his scouting report. The more pussies on his report, the higher Ted ranks him.
    lol... that post above qualifies you for the 2016 PackerRats Funniest Poster Award.

Been meaning to start a poll asking y'all humble posters to vote for the funniest poster this year, but still waiting Madtown's approval to post it here since nobody reads the Romper Room anymore.

Here are the nominees thus far:

Harlan
    Woodbuck
    Nutz
    Madtown
    Rand
    Maxi
    Fritz
    Joe Da Mailman
    Tex
    Anti-Polar Bear

If I were a betting man, I'd bet on Harlan.

it's not official yet but there ya go.
    Last edited by gbgary; 12-01-2016 at 12:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Anti-Polar Bear View Post
    lol... that post above qualifies you for the 2016 PackerRats Funniest Poster Award.

Been meaning to start a poll asking y'all humble posters to vote for the funniest poster this year, but still waiting Madtown's approval to post it here since nobody reads the Romper Room anymore.

Here are the nominees thus far:

Harlan
    Woodbuck
    Nutz
    Madtown
    Rand
    Maxi
    Fritz
    Joe Da Mailman
    Tex
    Anti-Polar Bear

If I were a betting man, I'd bet on Harlan.
    you nominated yourself...now THAT is funny.

Jumbo Rat HOFer
    Quote Originally Posted by gbgary View Post
    you nominated yourself...now THAT is funny.
    Yup, there are about 3 posters on here that when they post and it is negative about the Packers, I think great we are moving in the right direction. When they start praising Packer moves, I think we are moving in the wrong directions.
    But Rodgers leads the league in frumpy expressions and negative body language on the sideline, which makes him, like Josh Allen, a unique double threat.

-Tim Harmston

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    Practice Squad

Packer Report ‏@PackerReport 7m7 minutes ago
    QB Joe Callahan is signed to the #Packers practice squad. There was a potential opening on the 53 with Goodson's injury.
    So the question remains, does anybody know the extent of Goodson's injury?

Oracle Rat HOFer Cheesehead Craig's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Anti-Polar Bear View Post
    The Claymaker wasn't a regular starter til his 5th year in college, so he probably hasn't peaked yet.

Two reasons for the Claymaker's decline in production:

1. Claymaker - He's soft, especially at OLB. Takes himself out of the game and is a hamstring pull waiting to happen.

2. Polar Bear - Want proof of Thompson's incompetence? His failure to fix the miseries at ILB forced the Claymaker to waste almost 2 years of his prime playing ILB. Claymaker's a fucking elite OLB. He should not be playing ILB til he's a greybeard at 34. Thanks Ted!
    How can he be both "soft, especially at OLB." and "a fucking elite OLB"?
    All hail the Ruler of the Meadow!

Mike Spofford ‏@mikespofford 1h1 hour ago
    QB Rodgers & CB Randall, along with LBs Martinez & Ryan shown here, practicing with limited reps for #Packers on Thursday.

Matthews also practiced.

Ryan Wood ‏@ByRyanWood 1h1 hour ago
    #Packers LB Clay Matthews practiced, as did Jake Ryan. Blake Martinez practiced, but got less work than Matthews or Ryan.

Gotta figure Martinez is a week away. But Ryan and Thomas can man the middle. Good sign. Martinez and Thomas had trouble with gaps in the running game.

Packer Report ‏@PackerReport 1h1 hour ago
    Rodgers taking limited reps. So is Matthews. Martinez, Ryan practicing some too. Lang, Tretter, Fackrell DNP.
    Last edited by pbmax; 12-01-2016 at 04:16 PM.

Should we be concerned about Rodgers, given that they re- signed Callahan to the PS?

Will Lang ever play again?

KYPack

Rodgers can play on one leg.
    C.H.U.D.

Quote Originally Posted by Freak Out View Post
    Rodgers can play on one leg.
    Actually he seems to play better hurt.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ThunderDan View Post
    Yup, there are about 3 posters on here that when they post and it is negative about the Packers, I think great we are moving in the right direction. When they start praising Packer moves, I think we are moving in the wrong directions.
    I think I"m on that list
    Everytime I start feeling good about this team they shit on us
    And when I'm down down down they surprise

Odd part is....I think the Texans are JUNK; and I'm feeling confident this week...........ahoh
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

Packer Report ‏@PackerReport 2h2 hours ago
    Rodgers had set number of reps yesterday. That went well. Then focused on rehab. Will do more in Saturday's practice.

Same story with Matthews, MM says. "He did everything. Jake Ryan did what he was supposed to do. Blake did more."

WHILE THAT READS LIKE BLAKE IS AHEAD OF RYAN, I THINK M3 MEANT MARTINEZ JUST DID MORE THAN YESTERDAY

Big hurdle for Lang and Tretter to play this week.

Green Bay Packers ‏@packers 2h2 hours ago
    McCarthy on T.J. Lang's & JC Tretter's chances to play: Will be a big hurdle for them to get over. We'll see where they are tomorrow.

Green Bay Packers ‏@packers 2h2 hours ago
    McCarthy: Crowd noise is important. You want your crowd to disrupt the communication of the opponent as much as possible.

Just remember this when texaspackerbacker sounds like he has drunk his own kool-aid:

Pass first baby. http://www.packersnews.com/story/spo...odel/94735652/

When the Packers moved the football in the past six games, it’s been through the air. On drives that have ended in scoring position, they have an 80-20 pass-run distribution since losing Lacy. Drives that haven’t reached scoring position have a 74-26 split.

The Packers had a scoring drive of 10 pass plays, no runs against Chicago. Thirteen passes, one run at Atlanta. They called pass plays on their final 13 snaps against Indianapolis, two drives ending with touchdowns.

Since their second half against the Bears, the only time the Packers offense has found trouble is when they’re tried to balance their distribution between pass and run plays. They opened their loss at Tennessee with three straight punts, calling seven pass plays and five run plays during that stretch. The next week, the Packers opened with three consecutive three-and-outs, calling five pass plays and four runs.

After their third three-and-out in Washington, the Packers ditched the run game. On the next drive, McCarthy called 16 pass plays and three runs on a lengthy touchdown drive.