Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Some random thoughts about the team moving forward

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    From the NFLPA:

Notice how cheap that bastard Thompson is.

I'd trade him for a 7th round draft pick and Wolf )
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

Quote Originally Posted by red View Post
    oh come on, just because we are spending more money then everyone else, doesn't mean we are using the cap as effectively as other teams

maybe TT doesn't understand how to play the cap like other GM's do. if players are willing to sign funny money deals, why not use them?

not all that money spent was good money, and a lot of it was wasted on our own home grown crap

look at the patriots at proof of how to play the cap game. they spend about the same as us in cap space every year, are just as good as us, but have spent 83 million less then us over the last 5 years
    But I thought Ted was cheap?
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Blog Entries
    But I thought Ted was cheap?

Does this take into account how Ted often uses current year cap money for future contracts ?
    Always decent, never great. That's what I think of when I consider Ted's use of he cap. He nearly almost always finds a way to use it up.
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

Jumbo Rat HOFer
    Quote Originally Posted by Bretsky View Post
    He nearly almost always finds a way to use it up.
    Channeling Yogi Berra I see.
    But Rodgers leads the league in frumpy expressions and negative body language on the sideline, which makes him, like Josh Allen, a unique double threat.

-Tim Harmston

The soon-to-be 37-year-old Peppers is heading into the final month of his contract with the Packers, and admitted he’s been giving thought to playing again next year.“I’m not saying that I don’t want to play next year,” Peppers said, via Ryan Wood of the Green Bay Press-Gazette. “I’m not saying that I do. I’m just saying that right now, I don’t know. And I’ll figure it out at some point.

I think his time is up on this team.

CutlerquitRat HOFer
    Quote Originally Posted by Teamcheez1 View Post
    The soon-to-be 37-year-old Peppers is heading into the final month of his contract with the Packers, and admitted he’s been giving thought to playing again next year.“I’m not saying that I don’t want to play next year,” Peppers said, via Ryan Wood of the Green Bay Press-Gazette. “I’m not saying that I do. I’m just saying that right now, I don’t know. And I’ll figure it out at some point.

I think his time is up on this team.
    Depends at what price.
    Swede: My expertise in this area is extensive. The essential difference between a "battleship" and an "aircraft carrier" is that an aircraft carrier requires five direct hits to sink, but it takes only four direct hits to sink a battleship.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Oday View Post
    Depends at what price.
    Yes. His days of playing for 10 million a year are over. But he can still play.

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    Yes. His days of playing for 10 million a year are over. But he can still play.
    Their plan was to save Peppers for the end of the season. He has had a sack in each of the last three games. Maybe their plan is working?

Quote Originally Posted by Patler View Post
    Their plan was to save Peppers for the end of the season. He has had a sack in each of the last three games. Maybe their plan is working?
    Sure, but can you afford to pay a guy 10 million for 6 games? Guys making that kind of money need to be helping you win all season. I'm open to him returning, but the Packers have some salary cap issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    Sure, but can you afford to pay a guy 10 million for 6 games? Guys making that kind of money need to be helping you win all season. I'm open to him returning, but the Packers have some salary cap issues.
    Of course not. Wasn't meaning to suggest that he has earned another contract as big as the last. Just agreeing with you that he still can play. The trick is fitting what he can contribute into a teams roster structure and salary cap limitations. A lot of older guys continue playing for quite a few years at a couple million per year. Spot/situational duty seems to work best for DL and LB types. If he wants to play, there are probably a few teams that will be interested. He could end up with 8-10 sacks again this year, and could even lead the Packers in that category by the end of the season. He should be at least their second most productive pass rusher.

The ONLY way they should bring the old man back is if it were an extreme bargain. Like a million a season.

Quote Originally Posted by Rutnstrut View Post
    The ONLY way they should bring the old man back is if it were an extreme bargain. Like a million a season.
    that's the vet minimum for next year for a guy with his tenure. don't know if he'd go for that or not.

Since it's "random thoughts" is there any random interest in bring BJ Raji back next year on a vet minimum, if he's interested?
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    Since it's "random thoughts" is there any random interest in bring BJ Raji back next year on a vet minimum, if he's interested?
    I'd take him over Penal if he's interested.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Patler View Post
    I may be in the minority here but I'm bringing Peppers back and I'm not afraid to pay him 4-7M per year for another year. He's one of the few things working on D

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    BJ has always been about the money; he won't come back cheap

Quote Originally Posted by Bretsky View Post
    I may be in the minority here but I'm bringing Peppers back and I'm not afraid to pay him 4-7M per year for another year. He's one of the few things working on D
    I'd pay him 4. 7 might be a bit steep. He does seem to have the ability to stay healthy. Probably because he's a great natural athlete. Played basketball at North Carolina. His size is natural, not a result of bulking up.

Maybe 5 mil for peppers..... one year deal.

From the NFLPA:

Notice how cheap that bastard Thompson is.
    The NE Patriots @ $500 M$ and the Dallas Cowboys @ $523 M$.

The Green Bay Packers @ $583 M$.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/green-bay-packers/cap/

CAP Hits:

Aaron Rodgers @ 19.25 M

Clay Matthews @ 13.75 M

Julius Peppers @ 10.5 M

Randall Cobb @ 9.15 M

Jordy Nelson @ 8.3 M

Mike Daniels @ 7.4 M

T. J. Lang @ 6.18 M

Morgan Burnett @ 5.96 M

Bryan Bulaga @ 5.46 M

Nick Perry @ 4.875 M.

CAP Money spent on Top Ten = 90.825 M or 58.79 % of the Total CAP Money Spent.

CAP Money spent 154.5 M.

CAP Space 8.959 M.
    ** Since 2006 3 X Pro Pickem' Champion; 4 X Runner-Up and 3 X 3rd place.
    ** To download Jesus Loves Me ring tones, you'll need a cell phone mame
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?
    ** Rather than love, money or fame - give me TRUTH: Henry D. Thoreau

Sam Shields should be on your list. He is counting $12M against the CAP in 2016 ($12.1M in 2017 if he is still on the team).