Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Some random thoughts about the team moving forward

Hyde is an embarrassment to this team and to the fundamental philosophy of defense in general. If he's on the team again next year, I will join those asking for the end of the Ted. Verily.
    "You're all very smart, and I'm very dumb." - Partial

Quote Originally Posted by Teamcheez1 View Post
    Sam Shields should be on your list. He is counting $12M against the CAP in 2016 ($12.1M in 2017 if he is still on the team).
    Besides that, 3 of the top 10 are UFA's (Lang, Peppers, Perry)...so there should be cap space. Thing is, there are a lot of others who will be FA's as well (Tretter, Cook, Lacy, Datone, ...)

Quote Originally Posted by SkinBasket View Post
    Hyde is an embarrassment to this team and to the fundamental philosophy of defense in general. If he's on the team again next year, I will join those asking for the end of the Ted. Verily.
    I'm not that down on Hyde.
    He's a jack of all trades, master of none. He can play corner or safety and return punts.
    Thing is, he's on the slow side for corner, and not polished at safety. He's like a variation on Jarrett Bush.

If TT signs him, I'd hope he rarely ever plays unless it's ST.

I think Hyde is a good slot player, a serviceable backup safety and a good ST player. He's not a boundary corner. I like him.

Quote Originally Posted by JustinHarrell View Post
    I think Hyde is a good slot player, a serviceable backup safety and a good ST player. He's not a boundary corner. I like him.
    He's so rarely in position to break up a pass. My issue with him is lack of big plays. He's serviceable, but you want to do better than him.

Bring black McKenzie!!

Quote Originally Posted by Zool View Post
    He's so rarely in position to break up a pass. My issue with him is lack of big plays. He's serviceable, but you want to do better than him.
    I suspect he is better than many players who fill similar roles on other teams.

CutlerquitRat HOFer
    What big name RB will we disappointed we don't get? AP? Jamaal Charles?
    Swede: My expertise in this area is extensive. The essential difference between a "battleship" and an "aircraft carrier" is that an aircraft carrier requires five direct hits to sink, but it takes only four direct hits to sink a battleship.

He has 18 passes defended so far. Will Blackmon was with us for something like 4 years with zero if I recall correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by JustinHarrell View Post
    He has 18 passes defended so far. Will Blackmon was with us for something like 4 years with zero if I recall correctly.
    Must be a perception thing for me. I'm tired of watching the Packers D give up 9 on 3rd and 8. A large majority of the time it's to a TE, and that's usually the guy covered by Hyde. I want to start seeing them get more negative plays on 3rd down.

Must be a perception thing for me. I'm tired of watching the Packers D give up 9 on 3rd and 8. A large majority of the time it's to a TE, and that's usually the guy covered by Hyde. I want to start seeing them get more negative plays on 3rd down.
    I'm right there with you. Most of the time he just seems a step too late to break up a pass or get a turnover. It's definitely better than being completely out of position. But it just feels like the position could be upgraded, especially with how many teams utilize TE's.

Jumbo Rat HOFer
    Quote Originally Posted by StPaulPackFan View Post
    I'm right there with you. Most of the time he just seems a step too late to break up a pass or get a turnover. It's definitely better than being completely out of position. But it just feels like the position could be upgraded, especially with how many teams utilize TE's.
    I think he is supposed to be the dime CB at best and for a part of the season he was #2.

He is supposed to be that 5th CB/safety and special teams player. Injuries have killed the team this year.
    But Rodgers leads the league in frumpy expressions and negative body language on the sideline, which makes him, like Josh Allen, a unique double threat.

-Tim Harmston

Quote Originally Posted by ThunderDan View Post
    I think he is supposed to be the dime CB at best and for a part of the season he was #2.

He is supposed to be that 5th CB/safety and special teams player. Injuries have killed the team this year.
    Yup. When you peel away 2 or 3 layers from the top of the depth chart like the Packers did at CB for the mid part of the season, #s 4,5 and 6 don't look so good. There are reasons those guys don't have starting positions in the league. I suppose the Packers could have paid House and Hayward the last two years, and had starting calibre players 4 and 5 layers deep at CB, but from a salary cap perspective it doesn't make a lot of sense.

I still think the Packers had exceptional depth at CB this year, not because all had top level starting ability, but because the players at the lower levels of the depth chart were a heck of a lot better than what most teams have at #4, 5 or 6.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony Oday View Post
    What big name RB will we disappointed we don't get? AP? Jamaal Charles?
    Looking Back getting Forte for what the Jets signed him for would have been a great move

If TT's our GM I think we all understand we won't get a big name
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

Quote Originally Posted by Bretsky View Post
    Looking Back getting Forte for what the Jets signed him for would have been a great move

smh

Cobb is so overpaid.

Quote Originally Posted by Patler View Post
    Yup. When you peel away 2 or 3 layers from the top of the depth chart like the Packers did at CB for the mid part of the season, #s 4,5 and 6 don't look so good. There are reasons those guys don't have starting positions in the league. I suppose the Packers could have paid House and Hayward the last two years, and had starting calibre players 4 and 5 layers deep at CB, but from a salary cap perspective it doesn't make a lot of sense.

I still think the Packers had exceptional depth at CB this year, not because all had top level starting ability, but because the players at the lower levels of the depth chart were a heck of a lot better than what most teams have at #4, 5 or 6.
    Agreed. No team has starting caliber talent that deep at any position. Had Sheilds not been lost for the season and Randall hurt for long stretches (along with Rollins missing a couple of games) nobody here would be talking about House or Hayward.

Quote Originally Posted by Bretsky View Post

I don't know if a RB with a 3.7 average per carry would have been the answer to our running game. I do think it was a mistake to go into the season with only Lacy and Starks at HB. Losing Crockett didn't help. Let's hope Micheal will make a difference going forward.

Quote Originally Posted by smuggler View Post
    Cobb is so overpaid.
    Would Cobb had been paid like this by another team when he was about to be a FA in 2015? Nobody balked back when he signed that contract. I think he is playing pretty well right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Pugger View Post
    Would Cobb had been paid like this by another team when he was about to be a FA in 2015? Nobody balked back when he signed that contract. I think he is playing pretty well right now.
    Actually I recall there was some debate as to whether top money should be paid to a slot receiver. In terms of average salary, Cobb is 15th among WR's. http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/rankings/...wide-receiver/ At the time of the signing, his pay was probably high than 15th. Cobb is currently 50th in the NFL in receiving yards. 3rd on the team. I think a strong argument can be made that he's a good, but overpaid player.