Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Some random thoughts about the team moving forward

i guess i'll throw it in here, why not

the NFL is gonna tell teams on wednesday that the cap will be going up between 8-10 million PER YEAR

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    Actually I recall there was some debate as to whether top money should be paid to a slot receiver. In terms of average salary, Cobb is 15th among WR's. http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/rankings/...wide-receiver/ At the time of the signing, his pay was probably high than 15th. Cobb is currently 50th in the NFL in receiving yards. 3rd on the team. I think a strong argument can be made that he's a good, but overpaid player.
    yes, there was a lot of debate about that

and last year proved that he's nothing more then a slot receiver, he can't step into a #1 role if need be. and as the 15th highest paid WR in the game, he is overpaid

hell, he makes more money then jordy

Spriggs really does look like a player. Lang is better now, but Spriggs is cheap. This might be Langs swan song. Also, Tretter should be resigned and I think could play guard too.

Bahk/Taylor/Lindsley/Tretter/Bulaga
    Spriggs
    Murphy
    Barclay (if you can't find someone)
    Draft pick(s)
    Off the bench. We have a good, young line.

Glad to see Lowry play well. Bodes well for the near future. Clark too. While not dominate by any stretch, he's a just turned 21 year old mid season NT and does hold up in there for being a kid still. I'll bet he makes massive gains into years 2 and 3. The money situation is so good. Could easily see us keeping Perry and Jones. I like our depth going forward.

Shields career probably over. Corner might have a hole going forward.

Jumbo Rat HOFer
    Quote Originally Posted by JustinHarrell View Post
    Shields career probably over. Corner might have a hole going forward.
    I agree with this. But that should free 10 million to sign a top flight CB.
    But Rodgers leads the league in frumpy expressions and negative body language on the sideline, which makes him, like Josh Allen, a unique double threat.

-Tim Harmston

Maybe we'd luck out and a corner would fall to us in the draft. Corner/Rb/wr/OL just like that.

Maybe we'd luck out and a corner would fall to us in the draft. Corner/Rb/wr/OL just like that.
    WR/Corner/RB please
    No longer the member of any fan clubs. I'm tired of jinxing players out of the league and into obscurity.

Funny, just a few weeks ago we were ready to blow the whole thing up. Now we're optimistic.

This is why it's good that fans don't get to run teams.

I think though this team needs more than just good or solid players. Ted needs to hit on a couple superstars soon, as someone else said earlier.

Like a superstar wide receiver, and/or a tight end. Or another OLB who can wreak havoc.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

It is disappointing that Fackrell was injured when he was. He had been getting a little playing time and had made a few plays, a couple sacks, a forced fumble, tackle for loss, batted pass, etc. He made some mistakes, and needs to build strength, but he also made some plays. With Matthews problems most of the year, now Perry out, I would have liked to see Fackrell play some more.

I understand the whole depth argument at DB, but I'm in Zool's boat. More often than not, these intermediate drive extending 3rd down conversions seem to be completed 3 or 4 steps in front of 33. Yeah, you can argue that he's down the depth chart, that we've had injuries, blah blah blah. But if the fucking fucker can't cover when he IS in the game, then why the fuck do you keep him on the team? Is he good at folding towels? Yeah, he's like Bush, who people seemed to think was a ST ace years after he proved he had lost that skill, as has Hyde. When you got junk, you got junk, and 33 is junk.

On a related note, wasn't that 33 chugging downfield about 20 yards behind his guy on Randall's INT?
    "You're all very smart, and I'm very dumb." - Partial

Quote Originally Posted by Patler View Post
    It is disappointing that Fackrell was injured when he was. He had been getting a little playing time and had made a few plays, a couple sacks, a forced fumble, tackle for loss, batted pass, etc. He made some mistakes, and needs to build strength, but he also made some plays. With Matthews problems most of the year, now Perry out, I would have liked to see Fackrell play some more.
    True about Fackrell, but I guess all of that is what it took for them FINALLY to get Jayrone Elliot in the game - who I like better than any of them except, of course a 100% healthy Matthews.
    What could be more GOOD and NORMAL and AMERICAN than Packer Football?

Re Hyde and GB's other DBs:

By and large, teams complete nearly 2 of every 3 passes thrown, even higher in the short and intermediate distances. Then, too, of the few incomplete passes that there are around the league, some are caused by a good pass rush resulting in a hurried, inaccurate throw. Yet, so many fans seem appalled when a starting GB defensive back allows even one completion, let alone a backup getting beaten a couple times. That's just the way it is in the NFL today. Maybe Hyde "can't cover" as well as we want him too, but he is there because there are a lot in the league who are even worse, I suspect. Do you really think there are great cover guys looking for jobs, even in the off season?

We complain about Barclay, and sure, we want someone better than him coming in when at least two ahead of him are injured. But the league is full of guys like Marshall Newhouse who are starters for playoff caliber teams. I'll take Barcaly over Newhouse just because I like his never give up attitude.

Kind of like baseball. We want all guys who can hit .320, but the league is full of guys who hit .250 only in their very best years, and you might have to play a bunch of guys like that.

Quote Originally Posted by texaspackerbacker View Post
    True about Fackrell, but I guess all of that is what it took for them FINALLY to get Jayrone Elliot in the game - who I like better than any of them except, of course a 100% healthy Matthews.
    It was good to see Elliot play again. I wonder why we saw so little of him early this year?

So what's the word on Fackrell? Is he done for the year or something? I only heard he was still out with a hamstring problem.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    So what's the word on Fackrell? Is he done for the year or something? I only heard he was still out with a hamstring problem.
    ...and it seems like he injured it on the plane ride home from Washington. I don't remember anything during the game, but he was on the injury report to start the next week.

Smile

I really like your posts, Patler. It's so easy to nitpick when something goes wrong. No team is perfect.. The best team of the last decade has won 1 Super Bowl. The patriots. They've won a lot of games. They've let good high priced vets go. They've failed in drafts. They give up a lot of yards passing and rushing. Brady lost a lot of big games. If you wanted, you could have literally endless complaints. And you'd be right. It's true. They're imperfect and fall short almost every year.

The Packers are the winningest team in the NFC and people complain about every little thing as if they could do better or the next random coach/gm/#6cb is going to be so much better. It really is a blind spot for fans I think. We can get up and be unhappy and miserable about every little imperfection. That's easy. Seeing a more whole picture, and really using mind energy, that's hard. That's why people don't do it. It's hard.

Packers play a lot of trail coverage when they are in man underneath. Which literally means they are supposed to be behind the receiver to make the throw go higher than it might otherwise have to. This often happens to Hyde, and he needs someone in the deep end to close on the receiver to knock the higher throw down.

Several of their INTs were the result of this bracketing of coverage with a deep safety.

However, this coverage technique is vulnerable to crossing routes and out routes, because that is normally running away from the help. Hyde's job is to be sure that doesn't leak to a big play (must be close enough for tackle or force out of bounds). So a lot of plays that are completed on him are results the DC and DB coaches are willing to live with by design. Every coverage scheme has a weakness and this is it for the Packers underneath.

One thing that was different about this versus the Seachickens is that the Packers seem to roll coverage to Graham. He had to be bracketed all game because many other lesser TEs have destroyed the secondary. Hyde is fine for depth, but he is not able to handle good TEs by himself. With Burnett playing ILB in their Nitro Nickel, he has been guarding TEs more frequently.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

This is just guess work, no actual assumption of exact correctness, but a guy like Red, seems unhappy. Bitching about the Packers is like a release. Actually making changes in his own life would he hard. So bitching about something he has no control over is easy and feels therapudic. Nothing wrong with it, it's just not reasonable.

Someone like skinbasket, probably not very successful, but fancies himself the worlds smartest person or at least in the group of superior intellectuals. It's easy to come here and find a flawed player and bitch and feel superior. Nothing wrong with it, we're human, we don't always adjust perfectly to the humble realities of our own lives, but it doesn't make it grounded or reasonable.

So my point is, fans seem highly unreasonable and cling extra hard to their unreasonabality because it's part of their self-image. Letting it go would force them to look in the mirror or at least find a new distraction. And that's hard. Honesty is hard. So here we are, in a sports forum, dodging our realities. Crazy!

But I think most of the stuff here is unreasonable and the unreasonableness can be best explained by looking inward not clinging harder to sports views. I just can't take these people seriously anymore. I want to be humble and relate on a surface, football discussion level, but this shit is craziness. So here I go, I'm gunna call it as I see it. Grow up!!!!!!

Also, Tretter should be resigned and I think could play guard too.
    If I were Tretter, I'd stick at center if it was my best position. Let the Packers trade one of the two centers.

I agree Tretter might be able to add some weight and play guard. But is that his natural position? I don't know.

Quote Originally Posted by Harlan Huckleby View Post
    If I were Tretter, I'd stick at center if it was my best position. Let the Packers trade one of the two centers.

I agree Tretter might be able to add some weight and play guard. But is that his natural position? I don't know.
    Ya, I think the Packers will have to pick one over the other at center, and be content with losing the other one to play center for another team.

Quote Originally Posted by Harlan Huckleby View Post

Tretter is a boss center. Guards are paid more. Could still get a fat ass paycheck. But yeah, in the most selfish way, he should stay a center and Matthews should pin his ears back every play at the weakest OL and Spriggs should refuse to play guard too. But most of these guys are social by nature and want to help the team and don't want to split from their "pack" (no pun intended), so I think he'd probably move it asked to. And I respect that. I make sacrifices for the group in my life too.