Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Thread: Some random thoughts about the team moving forward

If I had to pick centers, I'd pick tretter. Big picture, keeping best 5 and factoring age in, I'd try to play Tretter at guard, but I might be wrong there.

Quote Originally Posted by JustinHarrell View Post
    This is just guess work, no actual assumption of exact correctness, but a guy like Red, seems unhappy. Bitching about the Packers is like a release. Actually making changes in his own life would he hard. So bitching about something he has no control over is easy and feels therapudic. Nothing wrong with it, it's just not reasonable.

Someone like skinbasket, probably not very successful, but fancies himself the worlds smartest person or at least in the group of superior intellectuals. It's easy to come here and find a flawed player and bitch and feel superior. Nothing wrong with it, we're human, we don't always adjust perfectly to the humble realities of our own lives, but it doesn't make it grounded or reasonable.

So my point is, fans seem highly unreasonable and cling extra hard to their unreasonabality because it's part of their self-image. Letting it go would force them to look in the mirror or at least find a new distraction. And that's hard. Honesty is hard. So here we are, in a sports forum, dodging our realities. Crazy!

But I think most of the stuff here is unreasonable and the unreasonableness can be best explained by looking inward not clinging harder to sports views. I just can't take these people seriously anymore. I want to be humble and relate on a surface, football discussion level, but this shit is craziness. So here I go, I'm gunna call it as I see it. Grow up!!!!!!
    I agree that grouchy posters are troublesome. The beatings must continue until moral improves.

Senior Rat HOFer Maxie the Taxi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Harlan Huckleby View Post
    I agree that grouchy posters are troublesome. The beatings must continue until moral improves.
    Nobody calls me names! Keep it up and I change my damn handle thingy, you young whipper-snapper.
    One time Lombardi was disgusted with the team in practice and told them they were going to have to start with the basics. He held up a ball and said: "This is a football." McGee immediately called out, "Stop, coach, you're going too fast," and that gave everyone a laugh.
    John Maxymuk, Packers By The Numbers

Tretter played the best I've seen a center play for the Packers for the first half of this season. Probowl player IMO. He was actually a half way serviceable left tackle. Very few centers can do that. I just like him a whole hell of a lot and think he might be a damn fine guard. Lindsley is a solid center.

I value 24 year old 300+ pound guys who can move and play ball a lot. It would be very hard for me to let one of them go. It would be much easier for me to part ways with a 30 year old 300lber with rickety hips and shoulders. I'm 35, 220lbs and have been mostly good to my body and my ankles and knees and hips are starting to feel the wear.

I lean toward finding a way to keep both quality young big guys but that's me. I like Tretter more and would pay him more.

I wouldn't be shocked if you two were more on with this either. It's an interesting topic with grey area, so I bring it up.

Tretter played the best I've seen a center play for the Packers for the first half of this season. Probowl player IMO. He was actually a half way serviceable left tackle. Very few centers can do that. I just like him a whole hell of a lot and think he might be a damn fine guard. Lindsley is a solid center.

I value 24 year old 300+ pound guys who can move and play ball a lot. It would be very hard for me to let one of them go. It would be much easier for me to part ways with a 30 year old 300lber with rickety hips and shoulders. I'm 35, 220lbs and have been mostly good to my body and my ankles and knees and hips are starting to feel the wear.

I lean toward finding a way to keep both quality young big guys but that's me. I like Tretter more and would pay him more.

I wouldn't be shocked if you two were more on with this either. It's an interesting topic with grey area, so I bring it up.
    I prefer Tretter over Linsley, too; but I don't think they are better off trying to force a square peg into a round hole by moving Tretter to guard either.

In the not too distant future, they probably need to find a place for Spriggs to play, too. I can envision Bulaga moving to guard, and Spriggs or even Tretter at RT more than I can see Tretter at guard. Remember that Bulaga was well on his way to taking the starting job away from Colledge until Bulaga was injured at the end of TC his rookie year.

Then again, maybe in two or three years the line will be:
    Bakhtiari, Taylor, Tretter or Linsley, Spriggs and Murphy or ... Murphy and Spriggs

Quote Originally Posted by Maxie the Taxi View Post
    Nobody calls me names! Keep it up and I change my damn handle thingy, you young whipper-snapper.
    I detect an improvement in your attitude - it's all relative. Justin T. Harrrell's admonishment is working!

Quote Originally Posted by Patler View Post
    Bakhtiari, Taylor, Tretter or Linsley, Spriggs and Murphy or ... Murphy and Spriggs
    It is that grey. Spriggs looks good for a rookie. I could see it falling the way you and hh see it more now. One or the other at center. The problem is we have seven good lineman who are young enough to stay invested in. You know, maybe we keep both Tretter and Lindsley with bulaga and lang Both as casualties?

Bahk/Taylor/Lindsley/Tretter/Spriggs ?? Oldest guy 26?

Packers have a good OL situation.

It is that grey. Spriggs looks good for a rookie. I could see it falling the way you and hh see it more now. One or the other at center. The problem is we have seven good lineman who are young enough to stay invested in. You know, maybe we keep both Tretter and Lindsley with bulaga and lang Both as casualties?

Bahk/Taylor/Lindsley/Tretter/Spriggs ?? Oldest guy 26?

Packers have a good OL situation.
    Ya, my last suggestion had Bulaga out, too. He has had enough injuries often enough, that I think 10 years might be all he has in him. His current contract will take him through 2019, 10 seasons. He will be 31 years old going into 2020.

To keep Tretter, they may have to commit to him as a starter on paper next year; but that could come a number of ways; at center, at guard or even at RT with Bulaga moving inside. Tretter does worry me a little. I don't think he has been available for an entire season yet either.

It's a never ending need, having 8 decent OL versatile enough to cover all the positions. I feel much better about their situation than I did and a year or two ago.

Wasn't Tretter on the roster and available for the 2015 season, while Linsley started? Tretter started three games that Linsley missed I think.

Apparently they are Clark Kent and Superman.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    Wasn't Tretter on the roster and available for the 2015 season, while Linsley started? Tretter started three games that Linsley missed I think.

Apparently they are Clark Kent and Superman.
    Could be, so fully available for one year of four?

Could be, so fully available for one year of four?
    You have to start somewhere. Or at least be active and on the bench.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

I'd take Linsley over Tretter at C, unless that leg injury Linsley had is a long term issue. Tretter is good, and more versatile and athletic, but Linsley is stronger and can handle the big NT types better. Plus, Tretter's injury history worries me. I wouldn't be one bit surprised if they signed Tretter long term though. Can Tretter play G? I think he'd have to bulk up, and Linsley is too short for G.

Lang is one tough sucker, it would be nice to keep him but it wouldn't shock me if they let him walk...I just hope he doesn't go to the Vikings. He's dependable and plays with an edge, which the OL needs. Spriggs is a tackle; getting live snaps at RG and not making a fool of himself is a good sign that he has a future.

Letting Sitton go and signing Bahktiari turned out ok, and answered a pair of questions there.
    Ted will draft more depth.

They also need to draft a TE, WR, OLB, and CB (or hope Hawkins/Dorleant develops), so they're like every other team with some holes/weakspots in the roster to shore up. If they don't bring back Lacy they'll need a RB too.

I prefer Tretter over Linsley, too; but I don't think they are better off trying to force a square peg into a round hole by moving Tretter to guard either.

In the not too distant future, they probably need to find a place for Spriggs to play, too. I can envision Bulaga moving to guard, and Spriggs or even Tretter at RT more than I can see Tretter at guard. Remember that Bulaga was well on his way to taking the starting job away from Colledge until Bulaga was injured at the end of TC his rookie year.

I just wish Tretter was a little more durable.

So here I go, I'm gunna call it as I see it. Grow up!!!!!!
    Says the guy insulting posters who don't agree with him about his "assessment" of the value of resigning a player. Yes, very mature. Your bit about dodging realities seems spot on, though it rises to the level of true irony.
    "You're all very smart, and I'm very dumb." - Partial