Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Davante Adams

Davante Adams

We've been fortunate to see the development of Adams from a marginal #3 receiver to what I believe is a #1 receiver.

If we call a #1 receiver someone who is able to get separation on short passes, have the strength to gain yardage after a catch, and to be able to stretch the field for a quick strike, Adams is beginning to do this on a fairly consistent basis.

I think sometimes we get carried away with the need for a receiver to have incredible straight line speed and think that is the main criteria for a #1 receiver. I would point out that before his injury, Nelson was only thought of as sneaky fast, and no one argued that he was not our go-to receiver.

With Nelson's injury taking away some of his 4th gear, he has become a top notch possession receiver. With his height advantage, he is a scoring threat from the red zone, but in the past 8 games, Adams has become our biggest threat.

I'm of the opinion, if his development continues, that we do not need a first round WR in the next draft, but can continue to draft WRs in the 2nd or 3rd round to look for replacements for Nelson and Cobb when their next contract is due. This would allow an OLB or CB to be picked in the 1st round to replace Peppers or Shields.

he's becoming a stud. i think he's a 2 right now (Jordy is #1, Cobb #3). because he's stepping up i might be talked into waiting until next year for a wr #1 in the draft...lol. cook's unlucky injury history makes me think TE #1 this year in the draft. either way we need a big weapon for Rodgers.

I figured this would be a Devante Adams dick sucking thread.

I have to admit I didn't see this coming last year. He must have been slowed by injury, because he's not just more consistent, he looks faster.

Adams strengths

Explosive/strong
    - creates separation in short areas (slants, curls, outs)
    - Destroys press coverage. Punches and explodes off the line.
    - breaks tackles

Fast enough
    - Teams have to respect the double moves. Can't sit on short routes.

Good hands, Tough, tenacious, Good guy......

Adams and Jordy are about equal now, but I agree Adams is our most explosive receiver and is on the cusp of becoming a probowl player.

Quote Originally Posted by Harlan Huckleby View Post
    I figured this would be a Devante Adams dick sucking thread.

Probably Jordy's return has helped Adams.

Quote Originally Posted by Harlan Huckleby View Post
    Probably Jordy's return has helped Adams.
    everybody being healthy helps everybody. we know what it looks like when we're down to one healthy guy.

Oracle Rat HOFer Cheesehead Craig's Avatar
    Playing with a ton of confidence and it shows. His development is exactly what the offense needed.
    All hail the Ruler of the Meadow!

CutlerquitRat HOFer
    He drops too many passes still, I like the guy but he is a #2 WR.
    Swede: My expertise in this area is extensive. The essential difference between a "battleship" and an "aircraft carrier" is that an aircraft carrier requires five direct hits to sink, but it takes only four direct hits to sink a battleship.

I'll admit, at the beginning of the season I thought he might get cut, and good riddance if he was. To his credit, he's put it all together and is an emerging star receiver. Guess the brain trust at Lambeau knows a wee bit more than I do about the personnel.
    Fire Murphy, Gute, MLF, Barry, Senavich, etc!

Jumbo Rat HOFer
    Quote Originally Posted by MadScientist View Post
    I'll admit, at the beginning of the season I thought he might get cut, and good riddance if he was. To his credit, he's put it all together and is an emerging star receiver. Guess the brain trust at Lambeau knows a wee bit more than I do about the personnel.
    That's the thing I chuckle about reading this site. We don't get to spend more than 3 hours a week with the players. Maybe a couple more surfing the net and coming here.

TT, MM and the crew spend approximately 100 hours a week during the season invested in the Green Bay Packers. They know tons more than us because they have access to everything.
    But Rodgers leads the league in frumpy expressions and negative body language on the sideline, which makes him, like Josh Allen, a unique double threat.

-Tim Harmston

Quote Originally Posted by beveaux1 View Post
    We've been fortunate to see the development of Adams from a marginal #3 receiver to what I believe is a #1 receiver.

If we call a #1 receiver someone who is able to get separation on short passes, have the strength to gain yardage after a catch, and to be able to stretch the field for a quick strike, Adams is beginning to do this on a fairly consistent basis.

I think sometimes we get carried away with the need for a receiver to have incredible straight line speed and think that is the main criteria for a #1 receiver. I would point out that before his injury, Nelson was only thought of as sneaky fast, and no one argued that he was not our go-to receiver.

With Nelson's injury taking away some of his 4th gear, he has become a top notch possession receiver. With his height advantage, he is a scoring threat from the red zone, but in the past 8 games, Adams has become our biggest threat.

I'm of the opinion, if his development continues, that we do not need a first round WR in the next draft, but can continue to draft WRs in the 2nd or 3rd round to look for replacements for Nelson and Cobb when their next contract is due. This would allow an OLB or CB to be picked in the 1st round to replace Peppers or Shields.
    He had a stutter step at some point in the game on one of his routes along the left sideline that didn't slow him down or throw off his stride. It was like a body shudder I only saw in replay. But the timing of it was an attempt to throw the cornerback off a little. Unlike a true double move though, it wasn't required for the route. Which means he's doing those things because they're the little things that make the big things easier.

When he was drafted, he was hailed as an excellent route runner. Now I'm starting to see it.

In other news, Starks is pretty much done now.
    No longer the member of any fan clubs. I'm tired of jinxing players out of the league and into obscurity.

Bretsky, you ready for some mea culpa after lambasting the "Fresno Fraud" for so long?
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Quote Originally Posted by ThunderDan View Post
    That's the thing I chuckle about reading this site. We don't get to spend more than 3 hours a week with the players. Maybe a couple more surfing the net and coming here.

TT, MM and the crew spend approximately 100 hours a week during the season invested in the Green Bay Packers. They know tons more than us because they have access to everything.
    Still, you have to admit very few would have been surprised if he had been let go along with Sitton (instead of Sitton?) at the final cut downs. Of course, there might never have been a danger of that as well.
    --
    Imagine for a moment a world without hypothetical situations...

A lot of people would've been surprised. That's not Ted's M.O., nor is it good practice, to cut a second round pick who showed promise in his first year just because his second year was not so good. That'd be like cutting Rollins after this year. Who would do that but a fan?
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Salaries:

Davante Adams (Age 23)
    2016 $1.02M
    2017 $1.25M
    2018 UFA

Randall Cobb (Age 26)
    2016 $9.15M
    2017 $12.75M
    2018 $12.75M
    2019 UFA

Jordy Nelson (Age 31)
    2016 $8.3M
    2017 $11.55M
    2018 $12.55M
    2019 UFA

Interesting to look at the salaries versus growth/potential. I definitely think we need to look for some new blood in the draft.

Quote Originally Posted by Teamcheez1 View Post
    Salaries:

Davante Adams (Age 23)
    2016 $1.02M
    2017 $1.25M
    2018 UFA

Randall Cobb (Age 26)
    2016 $9.15M
    2017 $12.75M
    2018 $12.75M
    2019 UFA

Jordy Nelson (Age 31)
    2016 $8.3M
    2017 $11.55M
    2018 $12.55M
    2019 UFA

Interesting to look at the salaries versus growth/potential. I definitely think we need to look for some new blood in the draft.
    Since it takes around 3 years to develop a WR, we need to take one in the 2nd or 3rd round. They would be ready when Cobb or Nelson's contract is done.

Quote Originally Posted by ThunderDan View Post

Fans know a lot more that your ... White Collared Pro Management style ... will ever allow credit for.

Try expressing that view of fans too say...... the fans that support the Montreal Canadians. Fans are dedicated to their teams every move and can see and make evaluations.
    ** Since 2006 3 X Pro Pickem' Champion; 4 X Runner-Up and 3 X 3rd place.
    ** To download Jesus Loves Me ring tones, you'll need a cell phone mame
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?
    ** Rather than love, money or fame - give me TRUTH: Henry D. Thoreau

Jumbo Rat HOFer
    Quote Originally Posted by woodbuck27 View Post
    Fans know a lot more that your ... White Collared Pro Management style ... will ever allow credit for.

Try expressing that view of fans too say...... the fans that support the Montreal Canadians. Fans are dedicated to their teams every move and can see and make evaluations.
    And how many games are played during a hockey season compared to the NFL? There just isn't a large sample size with the NFL. I know a heck of a lot more about the Cubs and NY Rangers than the Packers and the Packers are my favorite team.
    But Rodgers leads the league in frumpy expressions and negative body language on the sideline, which makes him, like Josh Allen, a unique double threat.

-Tim Harmston

And now everyone is worried about spending too much money on FA players. This is rich.

Adams will always have a soft spot in my heart for burying Sherman in the turf on his block in the second half and no I don't care if Sherman fell down on his own.

That was fun to see. I like and respect Sherman and wish he had played in GB. But he's demonstrable enough to take much pleasure out of seeing him get buried in the green paint.

Probably same feeling other NFC team fans felt when Matthews got trucked by Barbre.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.