Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Lions-Giants-Cowboys-Falcons-Patriots

Lions-Giants-Cowboys-Falcons-Patriots

We gonna run the table?

I would give us a 7.5% chance of running the table. But with each win those odds are gonna go up. If we were to make it through Dallas, the hopes would go way up!

Somebody's going to run the table. We have as good a shot as anybody because there is no great team and we have Rodgers. That pass defense is very weak, though. I'll see how next week turns out. Hopefully, the question won't be moot.

The signs of life for the pass rush give some hope to the backend. Gotta hope Gunter recovers.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

I don't think this defense is capable of delivering enough to make this team a title contender. The Packers will certainly be a tough out and someone that no one else really wants to face...but I just don't think this is their year when we lack a consistent running game. The spotty OL play over the last couple of weeks worries me as well.
    It's such a GOOD feeling...13 TIME WORLD CHAMPIONS!!

Rat-A-Tat-Tat Veteran BZnDallas's Avatar
    I agree with King. This defense is scary, and not in the Ravens/Bucs way. Obviously with Aaron running the show anything can happen and we could certainly run the whole table. But there are a lot of really good offenses in front of us. And this defense is scary, and not in the Ravens/Bucs way.
    Now what y'all know about dem Texas boys
    Comin' down in candied toys, smokin' weed and talkin' noise!!!

when Rodgers said run the table he was talking about the regular season. all bets are off for the playoffs. our d just isn't up to that.

I still think the defense will come around, though not happy that Gunter is hurt.

My secret fear is that McCarthy and Rodgers STILL haven't leaned the lessons of the 21 games of offensive futility. The second half versus the Vikings was a tell tale sign.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post

My secret fear is that McCarthy and Rodgers STILL haven't leaned the lessons of the 21 games of offensive futility. The second half versus the Vikings was a tell tale sign.
    you aren't alone

True that the Packers D is shaky and spotty, but nobody is better than Capers at compensating and creating turnovers, and also at designing defenses to stop at least the best aspect of a team's offense. And the Packers are now getting back to the ability to outscore just about any team. I wouldn't be surprised if we have a bad week and lose to somebody, but ask yourself, is there anybody at all you would actually expect the Packers to lose to? I don't see anybody. Running the table really could happen.
    What could be more GOOD and NORMAL and AMERICAN than Packer Football?

Quote Originally Posted by texaspackerbacker View Post
    is there anybody at all you would actually expect the Packers to lose to?
    dal...atl. it's our d.

It's all about da turnovers!
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    It's all about da turnovers!
    Agree.

My biggest concerns are giants and Dallas. Otherwise sure they might run the table

Jumbo Rat HOFer
    Just curious, why is everybody afraid of the Giants? Has anybody here watched their offense in a game lately? They are terrible. The D is good and much improved but with JPP out they have gone back to above average. I think it is that there are no "great" teams in the NFC this year so when the Giants beat Dallas twice everyone elevates they to a "top" team.

I think this year more than any other the team that gets hot will win the NFC. Every team is beatable this year.
    But Rodgers leads the league in frumpy expressions and negative body language on the sideline, which makes him, like Josh Allen, a unique double threat.

-Tim Harmston

I 110% agree with ThunderDan. No team looks hugely impressive right now. The Giants have OBJ which scares me a bit because I don't think we have anyone that can cover him, but other than that I don't fear them or the 'Boys. The Packers offense is humming right now and they are building big leads early. Seattle is going to be the tough match-up in the NFC Championship game.

CutlerquitRat HOFer
    Not a team in the NFC that can hang with the Pack after we dismantle the Kitties.
    Swede: My expertise in this area is extensive. The essential difference between a "battleship" and an "aircraft carrier" is that an aircraft carrier requires five direct hits to sink, but it takes only four direct hits to sink a battleship.

Not afraid of this version of the Giants. They struggled at times with the Eagles.

I am simply haunted by facing them in the playoffs when the Packers should have won.

Quote Originally Posted by ThunderDan View Post

I think this year more than any other the team that gets hot will win the NFC. Every team is beatable this year.
    I know the giants team a little. Not afraid. I know the Seahawks. Without earl Thomas they're a different team. Not afraid. Atlanta, Washington, Detroit.... Good teams, but not afraid. Dallas? Now that team has me baffled. I don't know that team very well. I don't know that QB. I know what that Rb is about. He's a beast. I don't know that defense or STs. They might be as good as they look. I just don't know. It might be a year too early for a young QB too. We'll see. We have a punchers chance against anyone. The only team I worry is a favorite in a game against the Packers is Dallas and that's mostly because I know very little about them.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    I still think the defense will come around, though not happy that Gunter is hurt.

Which 21 games of futility are you referring to PB? Starting with Denver last year? That seems like a stretch to me.

Opp. - GB Pts. Yds.
    CHI - 31 322
    SEA - 27 361
    KC - 38 448
    SF - 17 362
    STL - 24 322
    SD - 27 370
    DEN - 10 140
    CAR - 29 402
    DET - 16 372
    MIN - 30 320
    CHI - 13 365
    DET - 27 313
    DAL - 28 435
    OAK - 30 293
    ARI - 8 178
    MIN - 13 350
    Playoffs
    WAS - 35 346
    ARI - 20 386

2015 - 15th Scoring, 23rd Yards

Opp. - GB Pts. Yds.
    JAX - 27 294
    MIN - 14 263
    DET - 34 324
    NYG - 23 406
    DAL - 16 372
    CHI - 26 406
    ATL - 32 331
    IND - 26 405
    TEN - 25 402
    WAS - 24 424
    PHI - 27 387
    HOU - 21 309
    SEA - 38 330
    CHI - 30 451
    MIN - 38 348

2016 - 6th Scoring, 10th Yards

Granted, Rodgers had his career-worst stretch of games across these 2 years - (compared to the most prolific extended stretch in history), but I'm seeing 4 or 5 sporadic games of "offensive futility" - not 21. Also, "STILL" not having "learned lessons" from "offensive futility" would seem to imply repeated failure to finish games...

In the last 2 years, the Packers are:
    - 16-1 when leading at Halftime (4th)
    - 16-0 when leading going into the 4th Q (1st)

The Packers' identity is to get leads and finish games. Their (admittedly small sample) results, indicate they're among the best in the business at it. If you look at the full body of results over Rodgers' and/or McCarthy's careers (to enhance reliability/objectivity of sample size and avoid selection-set bias), that holds up in spades.

The offense has certainly contributed to a number of losses over the last couple years, but I'd say the extent has been borderline grossly exaggerated.
    Last edited by vince; 12-28-2016 at 10:15 AM.

^ All points well made vince. The Offensive malaise has been overstated and the offense (especially Rodgers) have suffered as much from comparisons to themselves as from limited production. I do think some of the difference between 2015 and 2016 is late game scoring of meaningless TDs. For the best example, look at the 2015 game versus Carolina. While the offense had gotten on track, I saw a Carolina team try to take the air out of the ball.

So they are being graded on a high curve. But this team, as you state, lives and dies by its passing game and having a lead. McCarthy and his team do not specialize in late game heroics, grind it out/limited possession Neanderthal fests or world beating defense (thought they were close to this late last year and early this year).

So the passing game dip hurt them and their record.

I have come to believe there were many causes, but the offense by improvisation and holding the ball are still drawbacks against good defenses with pass rushes and in road games. Both these things happen regularly in the playoffs. And if McCathy prints up a hold the ball and look deep game plan in Seattle (or even in New York should that happen), I expect the offense to sputter early - though unlike last year, with Adams and a healthy Nelson, they might be healthy enough and talented enough to do it regardless of opponent.

What I had hoped to see was the continued emphasis on short passing to WR on the move. There is still hope. They have run it earlier this year, they are moving Nelson everywhere and they are using Allison, DickRod and Ripper/Michael to get different personnel on the field. So its possible. I would just love to see it this week on the road to confirm they remember the lesson.