Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Detroit-Dallas Game

Detroit-Dallas Game

So we get to watch a second good and meaningful game this week. Merry Christmas.

Packers are lucky that New Orleans beat Tampa, the Lions have to play hard Monday night to clinch a playoff spot.
    http://www.detroitnews.com/story/spo...boys/95835280/

If I were a Lions fan, I'd be feeling screwed by fact that Packers get an extra day to rest, and Lions are on a short week. It's a pretty big advantage given all the end-of-year injuries.

Quote Originally Posted by Harlan Huckleby View Post
    If I were a Lions fan, I'd be feeling screwed by fact that Packers get an extra day to rest, and Lions are on a short week. It's a pretty big advantage given all the end-of-year injuries.
    It happens to all teams at some point...the schedule can't be perfectly fair for everyone when you are playing a game just about every day of the week at this point.

At least for the Lions, the game isn't a road game to boot.
    It's such a GOOD feeling...13 TIME WORLD CHAMPIONS!!

Quote Originally Posted by King Friday View Post
    It happens to all teams at some point...the schedule can't be perfectly fair for everyone when you are playing a game just about every day of the week at this point.

At least for the Lions, the game isn't a road game to boot.
    Yes, true about playing home. But when you set up a final game of the year to likely decide the division championship, it's particularly shitty to give one team 2 days more rest. Given a short week, this is as big of an advantage as a bye in the playoffs.

I've enjoyed watching Dallas play this year, looking forward to a good game. The stakes make it an even contest.
    Last edited by Harlan Huckleby; 12-25-2016 at 11:51 AM.

Oracle Rat HOFer Cheesehead Craig's Avatar
    Very few people thought the Lions were going to be fighting for a playoff spot, let alone a division title. They were going to be lucky to win 6 games this year.
    All hail the Ruler of the Meadow!

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesehead Craig View Post
    Very few people thought the Lions were going to be fighting for a playoff spot, let alone a division title. They were going to be lucky to win 6 games this year.
    You can't predict year to year; nobody saw the Dallas juggernaut coming either. The last week of the year the NFL schedules all interdivision games because they are likely to be more meaningful.

I've enjoyed watching Dallas play this year, looking forward to a good game.
    yeah...a hard team to hate...except dez...and jerrah.

You can't predict year to year; nobody saw the Dallas juggernaut coming either. The last week of the year the NFL schedules all interdivision games because they are likely to be more meaningful.
    Don't say nobody hahahahaha. A lot of people in Texas certainly did. They were pretty much a QB and a RB away last year despite the shitty season. This a lot like when fairly sudden rise in the 90s when they had Aikman, Emmit, and Irvin. Few in the rest of the country saw that coming before it happened also.

I think they schedule the division games that way to avoid total disinterest in some cases - if a team either has it sewed up or is so far out as to be meaningless, at least fans get up and watch if it's a rivalry game.
    What could be more GOOD and NORMAL and AMERICAN than Packer Football?

Dallas was all the Packers wanted to handle in the playoff game two years ago when healthy.

They weren't far away. No one saw Prescott coming though.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

so todays game has absolutely no effect on our playoff picture, right?

we have to win next week no matter what to get in correct? we lose, no playoffs?

If we lose to the Lions we don't want Washington to win next week or we'd be eliminated.

I thought there was a chance at a WC spot even with a loss?
    C.H.U.D.

Quote Originally Posted by Freak Out View Post
    I thought there was a chance at a WC spot even with a loss?
    There is. You want a Washington loss. Problem is, Giants have clinched and can't win division. They might not have much to play for as I believe they cannot be dislodged from the 5th seed.

Detroit can clinch a playoff berth by winning tonight (or tie). If they do, they eliminate Tampa and Washington I believe.
    Last edited by pbmax; 12-26-2016 at 12:08 PM.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    There is. You want a Washington loss. Problem is, Giants have clinched and can't win division. They might not have much to play for as I believe they cannot be dislodged from the 5th seed.

Detroit can clinch a playoff berth by winning tonight (or tie). If they do, they eliminate Tampa and Washington I believe.
    I don't think they eliminate Tampa or Washington. If Detroit beats us, Washington would be in with a win Sunday. With a Washington loss and 2 Detroit wins, it comes down to a strength of schedule tiebreaker between GB and Tampa...if Tampa wins Sunday.

Either way, we'll know by game time on Sunday whether we're already in the playoffs, or fighting to make the playoffs.

Quote Originally Posted by beveaux1 View Post
    I don't think they eliminate Tampa or Washington. If Detroit beats us, Washington would be in with a win Sunday. With a Washington loss and 2 Detroit wins, it comes down to a strength of schedule tiebreaker between GB and Tampa...if Tampa wins Sunday.
    Might be onto something there. If Lions win tonight, they would go to wildcard at 10-6 with Packers victory in Week 17. TB eliminated regardless of result (currently 8-7), Washington ALSO eliminated as their best record will be 9-6-1.

If Lions win AND take Division, then Packers versus Wash and TB becomes a turkey shoot.

USAToday: http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports...card/93766362/

6. Green Bay Packers (9-6): Wild card No. 2. If Green Bay wins next week, it reclaims NFC North title. [Remaining game: at Lions]

In the hunt
    7. Washington Redskins (8-6-1): They must win their final game and hope the Packers lose in Week 17 or hope the Lions lose their final two games. [Remaining game: vs. Giants]
    8. Tampa Bay Buccaneers (8-7): They need to finish tied with Green Bay for the sixth seed and get tiebreaker assistance. Bucs can no longer pass Detroit after losing the common opponent tiebreaker. [Remaining game: vs. Panthers]
    Last edited by pbmax; 12-26-2016 at 12:47 PM.

Oracle Rat HOFer Cheesehead Craig's Avatar
    So, if the Skins and Bucs both lose, we're in regardless.
    All hail the Ruler of the Meadow!

There is a scenario that has the Packers playing the Lions two weeks in a row. Packers win division and Lions are a wild card. It would be a 4 seed vs 5 seed game.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post

Of course NY would love to knock Washington out of the playoffs...

Quote Originally Posted by Packgator View Post
    There is a scenario that has the Packers playing the Lions two weeks in a row. Packers win division and Lions are a wild card. It would be a 4 seed vs 5 seed game.
    I don't think that is correct. The Giants beat the Lions in Week 15, so they have the head to head - and if the Packers beat the Lions, Detroit is at best tied with the Giants in won/lost. The Giants are locked into the 5th seed.

Question: if we happen to run the table as far as the NFC championship game, and the Giants get there too with a better record than the Packers, who gets home field?
    What could be more GOOD and NORMAL and AMERICAN than Packer Football?

Packers would get home field over Giants by virtue of being division champs versus wild card entry.