Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Is McCarthy smarter than a 3rd grader?

Is McCarthy smarter than a 3rd grader?

I'm struggling to determine whether or not McCarthy's absolutely moronic coaching decision to go for it on 4th down on his side of the field early in the 3rd quarter when up by only one score was one of the 5 dumbest decisions ever made in playoff football.

I'm leaning toward yes...but maybe I'm forgetting a few really horrific ones.
    It's such a GOOD feeling...13 TIME WORLD CHAMPIONS!!

Passing into a 8-man coverage when you have Beast Mode RIGHT THERE is the dumbest, but it was a pretty dumb moment.

Senior Rat HOFer Maxie the Taxi's Avatar
    It was bad enough he made the decision to go for it. But then I figured he had some really great play up his sleeve, like an Arod bootleg or a Starr-esque downfield pass. Nope, ran it off tackle. That's when I started hollering at the TV.
    One time Lombardi was disgusted with the team in practice and told them they were going to have to start with the basics. He held up a ball and said: "This is a football." McGee immediately called out, "Stop, coach, you're going too fast," and that gave everyone a laugh.
    John Maxymuk, Packers By The Numbers

I figured they were going for the offsides and would just have taken the delay of game penalty. Not too happy two plays later.

Blog Entries
    Bad decision but it was an aggressive one. It was an aggressive grab at establishing control of the game at a time he felt they could grab the bull by the horns.

It turned out that they were able to establish it once and for all the next time they got it - and never looked back.

The players respond well to aggression. I don't know how bad it was. I liked it.

Packers were up 14-6 at the time and outscored giants 24-7 the text of the way. Gave offense confidence
    Go PACK

Blog Entries
    Taylor got beat like a drum there which stuffed the play right up. There's a lot you can say about Taylor's game but normally road grading would be his strength.

Next time Stubby feels aggressive on fourth and one I hope he's closer to the opponents end zone than his own. lol
    One time Lombardi was disgusted with the team in practice and told them they were going to have to start with the basics. He held up a ball and said: "This is a football." McGee immediately called out, "Stop, coach, you're going too fast," and that gave everyone a laugh.

I'm coming around to the pro-McCarthy point of view. The colossally stupid thing of going for it on 4th down, I'd be a hypocrite to criticize, as I woulda done the same stupid thing. Doing it with a predictable run against a top flight D, all I can say is I've complained a few times this season when they passed with 1 or 2 yards to go.

Somebody - McCarthy or whoever - figured out that whatever the Giants were doing, they were leaving the middle of the field wide open. The Packers, of course, exploited it big time. They also figured out that the Giants were vulnerable to quick hitter type runs - Michael's nice gashes. They found a way to win without Nelson; They keep working new guys into the offense with fairly seamless transition, etc. All in all, I'd call it good coaching - along with superb execution by Aaron Rodgers and a bunch of others.
    What could be more GOOD and NORMAL and AMERICAN than Packer Football?

Quote Originally Posted by texaspackerbacker View Post
    I'm coming around to the pro-McCarthy point of view. The colossally stupid thing of going for it on 4th down, I'd be a hypocrite to criticize, as I woulda done the same stupid thing. Doing it with a predictable run against a top flight D, all I can say is I've complained a few times this season when they passed with 1 or 2 yards to go.

Somebody - McCarthy or whoever - figured out that whatever the Giants were doing, they were leaving the middle of the field wide open. The Packers, of course, exploited it big time. They also figured out that the Giants were vulnerable to quick hitter type runs - Michael's nice gashes. They found a way to win without Nelson; They keep working new guys into the offense with fairly seamless transition, etc. All in all, I'd call it good coaching - along with superb execution by Aaron Rodgers and a bunch of others.
    Tex, you're old enough to remember Starr's patented long passes downfield on third and one or fourth and one. That actually went through my mind as they were lining up for that play today.

Blog Entries
    So now he's too aggressive. I thought his problem was being too conservative.

Being aggressive or conservative depends on game situations. Sometimes, when you don't have control of a game, you have to grab it. Other times, when you have it, you have to keep it. With this team we all know those grabs and keeps have to come from the offense. You can't exactly sit back and wait for the defense to assert its dominance.

Quote Originally Posted by vince View Post
    So now he's too aggressive. I thought his problem was being too conservative.

Being aggressive or conservative depends on game situations. Sometimes, when you don't have control of a game, you have to grab it. Other times, when you have it, you have to keep it. With this team we all know those grabs and keeps have to come from the offense. You can't exactly sit back and wait for the defense to assert its dominance.
    hehe Don't get me started, Vince. It's past my bed time.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by texaspackerbacker View Post

Thank you tex. I was about to comment about how often I've heard the Stubby Crew bitch and moan about throwing deep on 3rd and short - when it doesn't work. As is always the case - until your post - what works is ignored and what doesn't is dumb coaching.

Quote Originally Posted by vince View Post
    Bad decision but it was an aggressive one. It was an aggressive grab at establishing control of the game at a time he felt they could grab the bull by the horns.

It turned out that they were able to establish it once and for all the next time they got it - and never looked back.
    I hated the decision too because of situation, identity and opponent. But mostly I hated it it because of the result. The optics were terrible for about 3 minutes of game time.

But then his team responded and they rolled the rest of the way. For as much as we've gotten on M3 for his management in trying to protect a lead, I think this was him putting the pedal down. They spun out that time, but the mentality won out.

They also kept throwing the ball in the 4th quarter when they were protecting the lead.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro ~Hunter S.

Quote Originally Posted by denverYooper View Post
    I hated the decision too because of situation, identity and opponent. But mostly I hated it it because of the result. The optics were terrible for about 3 minutes of game time.

But then his team responded and they rolled the rest of the way. For as much as we've gotten on M3 for his management in trying to protect a lead, I think this was him putting the pedal down. They spun out that time, but the mentality won out.

They also kept throwing the ball in the 4th quarter when they were protecting the lead.
    A very aggressive game plan on offense was what this team needed. Don't be surprised if they're just as aggressive next week.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxie the Taxi View Post
    Tex, you're old enough to remember Starr's patented long passes downfield on third and one or fourth and one. That actually went through my mind as they were lining up for that play today.
    I definitely remember those well. Something about today's D, though, you just can't catch them completely selling out for the run like when Starr would hit Dale, etc. Maybe it's because so many teams routinely use short passes on 3rd and 1 or 2.

Vince, I hear ya, but I'm not as annoyed by going for broke with a long one than I am with damn fade patterns in the end zone, possibly my least favorite play in the book - unless it is the other team doing it.
    What could be more GOOD and NORMAL and AMERICAN than Packer Football?

I have no problem with being aggressive when the situation gives you a clear reward for the risk. However, in this case, I don't think the reward justified the risk. Being aggressive wasn't going to get you anything. If you make it, you are still 30+ yards out of field goal range. It wasn't going to be some kind of death blow or dagger to the Giants' chances. Meanwhile, failure allowed for the Giants to have at least a CHANCE at getting mojo back that was absolutely RIPPED from them on the hail mary.

Fortunately, Aaron Rodgers is playing so out of his mind right now, it didn't matter. However, that doesn't excuse the absolute stupidity of that decision.
    It's such a GOOD feeling...13 TIME WORLD CHAMPIONS!!

Quote Originally Posted by Maxie the Taxi View Post
    It was bad enough he made the decision to go for it. But then I figured he had some really great play up his sleeve, like an Arod bootleg
    I have to say I thought the bootleg run/pass option was the perfect play too. But maybe Stubby was trying to trick them by calling the worst possible play - catch them off guard.

Blog Entries
    Well they just ran that play last week on 4th and 1. Opponents do chart that stuff. I'd say he was thinking that Monty has consistently shown the ability to gain yards after contact and would be both strong and slippery enough to get the 4 inches even if there was some penetration. One guy blew up Taylor right in the hole and Rip the Polish Hammer didn't have much punch today. He got stood up and pushed into the hole too.