Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast

Thread: Official Packers vs. Falcons NFC Title Game Discussion Thread

Blog Entries
    There is no difference between a bone break and a fracture. Fracture is the clinical term for a break in a bone. A fracture can range in severity from a hairline fracture, which is a small crack in the bone, to a compound fracture, which occurs when the broken bone punctures the skin.
    There are 17 different types of fractures (thanks google). I've seen no mention of anything other than a simple fracture/break. The fact that he's out there in practice and has a chance to play suggests that his break tends toward the less severe end of the spectrum I'd say.

EDIT: Guiness you beat me to it I see. Sorry for the repeat...

Quote Originally Posted by vince View Post
    OK. We should believe you over the experts. Got it.
    You don't own the experts. If you surveyed 100 doctors about the wisdom of playing wide receiver with ribs broken two weeks ago, what do you suppose the survey sez?

I know they might get a team doctor to take the risk. JJ Watt played pro football 6 months after major back surgery. Some expert signed off on it. Doesn't mean it was smart, or that I agree with taking such a risk for the sake of entertainment.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxie the Taxi View Post
    Harlan, FYI...

What is that spine thing? Does everyone have one?

Football is a game, entertainment. No more consequential than season 7 of America's Got Talent.

When Clay Aiken has laryngitis, do you think he should force himself to sing just to try to win "American Idol"? Heavens no, we don't Clay to hurt himself just for our thrilling to his crooning.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Harlan Huckleby View Post
    You don't own the experts. If you surveyed 100 doctors about the wisdom of playing wide receiver with ribs broken two weeks ago, what do you suppose the survey sez?

I know they might get a team doctor to take the risk. JJ Watt played pro football 6 months after major back surgery. Some expert signed off on it. Doesn't mean it was smart, or that I agree with taking such a risk for the sake of entertainment.
    That would be a worthless survey and any doctor worth his/her salary would say that. It depends on the extent of the break, whether the player's injury can be properly protected, and on the pain/performance threshold.

My point is neither you nor I, nor the 200 doctors you want to survey, know anywhere close to enough about the situation to offer a relevant opinion on it.

My point is neither you nor I, nor the 200 doctors you want to survey, know anywhere close to enough about the situation to offer a relevant opinion on it.
    In my experiment I give 100 doctors access to all the medical records. Let them lay hands on the boy.

Oh, and no flak jacket is going to protect from a hard hit to the body, which WRs routinely take.

forget the real risk to a punctured lung, or any long term health threat.

I don't want Jordy to play in that painful, limiting state. It's not worth it to maybe see a couple good catches. And I think the replacements are about as useful as 85% Nelson. That's just my value judgement.

Blog Entries
    Football is a game, entertainment. No more consequential than season 7 of America's Got Talent.

When Clay Aiken has laryngitis, do you think he should force himself to sing just to try to win "American Idol"? Heavens no, we don't Clay to hurt himself just for our thrilling to his crooning.
    Injuries are prevalent when it comes to the entertaining game of football. The physical assessment of the availability of the performers is commonplace. Players regularly perform with injuries to varying degrees. Your opinion that Jordy shouldn't play in this game because it might be too painful or that he would risk further injury is irrelevant because you know nothing about either of those situations. I'm not denying your right to have that opinion, but I'm not denying myself the right to comment on that opinion either.

Blog Entries
    Oh, and no flak jacket is going to protect from a hard hit to the body, which WRs routinely take.
    I'm confident in saying you have absolutely no realistic idea about whether this is true. There's a lot of science and testing put into these protective technologies and I'd love to see your support of that claim.

I'm confident in saying you have absolutely no realistic idea about whether this is true. There's a lot of science and testing put into these protective technologies and I'd love to see your support of that claim.

science, technologies - I had no idea.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JustinHarrell
    Go watch golf.

Senior Rat HOFer Maxie the Taxi's Avatar
    Football is a game, entertainment.
    It could be worse...
    One time Lombardi was disgusted with the team in practice and told them they were going to have to start with the basics. He held up a ball and said: "This is a football." McGee immediately called out, "Stop, coach, you're going too fast," and that gave everyone a laugh.
    John Maxymuk, Packers By The Numbers

I always root for the Christians but the Lions seem to have their number.

Battles at the colloseum were for entertainment. Football is a violent, brutal sport. When played to win, it's played with the intent to cause harm to the opponent. And more than ever, playoff football is played to win. So more than ever it's played with the intent to harm.

Something inside people is drawn to team and family and social grouping. We take care of ours with kindness and love and destroy threats to our group with tenacity and heartless aggression. Football, like other violent forms of entertainment draws on those social (defend/conquer) instincts.

We want to win, HH. We want Jordy to go out there and risk his body. It's primative. You're not going to make sense of it with words. It's how humanity is wired.

Blog Entries
    science, technologies - I had no idea.
    Yeah those things that support claims.

There's no virtue in spreading ignorance in the name of protecting those who you believe are exploited.

There's no virtue in spreading ignorance in the name of protecting those who you believe are exploited.
    Has nothing to do with "protecting the exploited", that's some script you replayed out of your head. Ignorance is thinking that somebody can play wide receiver effectively in a body wrap. Ignorance is believing that a broken rib mends in two weeks. Ignorance is thinking that a broken rib can only be hurt by a sharp blow to the injury area - a hard hit to the torso is going to be a threat. You ever break a rib?

Blog Entries
    Has nothing to do with "protecting the exploited", that's some script you replayed out of your head. Ignorance is thinking that somebody can play wide receiver effectively in a body wrap. Ignorance is believing that a broken rib mends in two weeks. Ignorance is thinking that a broken rib can only be hurt by a sharp blow to the injury area - a hard hit to the torso is going to be a threat. You ever break a rib?
    No, and I'm not claiming ANY of that. You're the one claiming to know about all that and you have no idea what you're talking about. Jordy and his doctors do.

Quote Originally Posted by JustinHarrell View Post
    So more than ever it's played with the intent to harm.
    Excellent argument for holding out players with high vulnerability. There may be another game in two weeks. And the game heros change from week to week, there are no superstars in the WR corps.

No, and I'm not claiming ANY of that.
    I'm responding to your words. You claimed the argument is about "protecting the exploited." Now you claim you misquoted yourself.

edit: as to other points, you didn't specifically claim, but they are counterfacts to your notion that playing Jordy is reasonable. Those are good examples of ignorance.

Excellent argument for holding out players with high vulnerability. There may be another game in two weeks. And the game heros change from week to week, there are no superstars in the WR corps.
    The point is, you put yourself in harms way for the team. He's going to have to protect himself a little better, but I think he can play. Every player can adjust the way they play to protect a part of the body. He's gonna have to go down easier, and be less aggressive catching a ball that might be in a tough place. AR might have to only throw in certain situations his way. Regardless, 70% Jordy is 500% Janis.