Thread: Vic Ketchmab calls a spade a spade with fans who live in fantasy

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Blog Entries
    Actual results should drive an "Mm achieved these results and here's why" analysis. Not an " if the results were different he would have screwed up" fantasy analysis.

Quote Originally Posted by vince View Post
    Actual results should drive an "Mm achieved these results and here's why" analysis. Not an " if the results were different he would have screwed up" fantasy analysis.
    I believe the Packers roster is Top 5 in the League. I think McCarthy is Top 7 in coaching. I think both of these can be easily defended. You could easily argue Ted for Top 3 and M3 for Top 5, though you would get more resistance. But I think even consensus would grant that this combination in a franchise yields a team that should be Top 4 in overall performance. Any single year can go bad, but over the course of five years the team should outperform the vast majority of the League.

I have two critiques of McCarthy through observation. One, is his limiting of his own offensive options in a game to the game plan. Normally, this makes sense, as why risk running plays you have not practiced? However, in games where you zigged and the opponent zagged, your plan has to go out of the window. It goes mainly for offense, but has also happened to the defense. This is most obvious when facing a very good team (Seattle, Giants) but I think you can see it against lesser competition too (happens versus Schwartz and Lovie quite a bit). So while strength of the opponent affects this pattern, I don't think it causes it.

There are good reasons that he sticks to this plan and is called Stubby, in part, because of it. He has seen bad teams flail and try to throw everything at a wall in order to find something positive while in a panic. He has seen teams do this just to get the press of their backs. He doesn't want that, neither do I. By and large, this works for 90-95% of the games and gives his talent rich team the best way to leverage their talent. But matchups matter in the NFL, other teams are close to your talent level, and players have limitations in executing against there good players. Sometimes the best laid plan needs to be tossed in the trashcan. Best example of all time is the Fail Mary game.

Second critique is that he relies on single dimensional (this is likely the wrong mathematical convention, but I hope it makes itself clear) analysis about how to close out and win games. He knows that winning teams run more at the end of games. He knows that total attempts and APC don't matter as much as limiting possession and time later in a game. You can infer this from looking at lists of winning team traits and their late game performances.

But it ignores lost opportunity (in most cases, running means less scoring), lost field position, telegraphing the run and the odd fact that Capers D seems incapably of making a good team work hard during a 2 minute drive. They just don't play zone well, and surrender the boundary too often for clock stoppages.

Now I will be dead honest. The last time we ran numbers on this, I was surprised at the team's success in close games with leads. So it could be that playoff woes and easily memorable reg season losses have colored the second critique of McCarthy.

But they are much closer to average when they trail, not in the Top 5 at all. Even this is not a slam dunk as they are still better than average AND have very few games in which they trail (fewest aside from NE).

So I agree with his approach almost all of the time. But still think the approach in each situation can be improved. I would have a hard time telling you how to fix game planning. But I think end of game situations is more obvious.

I am not nitpicking about McCarthy's large body of success, I want modifications to it so that it works even better. NE level better.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    I believe the Packers roster is Top 5 in the League. I think McCarthy is Top 7 in coaching. I think both of these can be easily defended. You could easily argue Ted for Top 3 and M3 for Top 5, though you would get more resistance. But I think even consensus would grant that this combination in a franchise yields a team that should be Top 4 in overall performance. Any single year can go bad, but over the course of five years the team should outperform the vast majority of the League.

As they have.

I have two critiques of McCarthy through observation. One, is his limiting of his own offensive options in a game to the game plan. Normally, this makes sense, as why risk running plays you have not practiced? However, in games where you zigged and the opponent zagged, your plan has to go out of the window. It goes mainly for offense, but has also happened to the defense. This is most obvious when facing a very good team (Seattle, Giants) but I think you can see it against lesser competition too (happens versus Schwartz and Lovie quite a bit). So while strength of the opponent affects this pattern, I don't think it causes it.

I don't buy this at all. What evidence do you have to assert that he limits his game plan, play selection and/or in-game adjustments more than other coaches? Assuming he does, how has that played out to the team's detriment when his results demonstrate that since 2011, the Packers have the 3rd best record vs. playoff teams in the league? That's 100% fantasyland IMO.

There are good reasons that he sticks to this plan and is called Stubby, in part, because of it. He has seen bad teams flail and try to throw everything at a wall in order to find something positive while in a panic. He has seen teams do this just to get the press of their backs. He doesn't want that, neither do I. By and large, this works for 90-95% of the games and gives his talent rich team the best way to leverage their talent. But matchups matter in the NFL, other teams are close to your talent level, and players have limitations in executing against there good players. Sometimes the best laid plan needs to be tossed in the trashcan. Best example of all time is the Fail Mary game.

Again, his teams are elite in performing against the league's best teams. You use a selection set of 1 game from 4 years ago as evidence supporting such a general conclusion today? Look no further than the Giants game 2 weeks ago to find evidence supporting the opposite conclusion.

Second critique is that he relies on single dimensional (this is likely the wrong mathematical convention, but I hope it makes itself clear) analysis about how to close out and win games. He knows that winning teams run more at the end of games. He knows that total attempts and APC don't matter as much as limiting possession and time later in a game. You can infer this from looking at lists of winning team traits and their late game performances.

But it ignores lost opportunity (in most cases, running means less scoring), lost field position, telegraphing the run and the odd fact that Capers D seems incapably of making a good team work hard during a 2 minute drive. They just don't play zone well, and surrender the boundary too often for clock stoppages.

You assert that he ignores the upside of higher risk/reward options late in games because he doesn't choose to use them in situations when you think he should?

McCarthy doesn't ignore any of that. He takes all of that into account, as well as a full assessment of other options that are higher risk/higher reward and considers how all three phases of the game come together/leverage each other to achieve a winning outcome. It's why he's one of, if not the best finishers in the game in spite of the historical weakness of his defense. He takes action to force the clock to run and/or force the opponent to spend their ability to stop the clock in order to protect his defense as much as possible. Your suggestion/belief that he should be higher risk/higher reward with leads late in games and doesn't properly consider such options is simply misguided. The outcomes from play-to-play are not always perfect, but whatever he's done has been more successful than every other coach/play-caller in the league over the last six years.

Now I will be dead honest. The last time we ran numbers on this, I was surprised at the team's success in close games with leads. So it could be that playoff woes and easily memorable reg season losses have colored the second critique of McCarthy.

But they are much closer to average when they trail, not in the Top 5 at all. Even this is not a slam dunk as they are still better than average AND have very few games in which they trail (fewest aside from NE).

The Packers are 6th best in the league in winning % when trailing going into the 4th quarter since 2011 - 1/1000th of a percentage point behind #5 Arizona - not anywhere remotely close to average but VERY close to Top 5.

So I agree with his approach almost all of the time. But still think the approach in each situation can be improved. I would have a hard time telling you how to fix game planning. But I think end of game situations is more obvious.

Game planning doesn't need to be "fixed" nor do end of game situations. Results indicate he's elite performing in both areas.

I am not nitpicking about McCarthy's large body of success, I want modifications to it so that it works even better. NE level better.

His end-of-game situational performance IS "NE level better". Since 2011, it's better than NE level (by a small margin). It's been the absolute best in the league. You really think if he'd just listen to your critique/advice he'd be perfect?
    Last edited by vince; 01-19-2017 at 12:56 PM.

I don't buy this at all. What evidence do you have to assert that he limits his game plan, play selection and/or in-game adjustments more than other coaches? Assuming he does, how has that played out to the team's detriment when his results demonstrate that since 2011, the Packers have the 3rd best record vs. playoff teams in the league? That's 100% fantasyland IMO.
    On numerous occasions he has dumped on the idea of dumping his prep work and game plan for the week and calling things not on the play sheet when the offense is in a funk.

He has commented on this when failing to adjust to give Tackles help with chips on pass protection.

He has sheepishly admitted that he HAD to call plays they did not plan on during game situations they did not plan for. Specifically, recall the lack of a 2 point play versus the Cardinals because his one 2 point play he liked required 3 receivers and Janis was hurt.

Running an offense without the plan would be foolish indeed. With his talent advantage, he would be an idiot not to try to impose their will on other teams. However, there are times when your plan doesn't work and you must dump it. If you have fallen well behind (think Panthers in 2015) you need to do it before the 4th quarter.

This is a very admirable trait taken to an extreme.
    Last edited by pbmax; 01-19-2017 at 01:11 PM.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

McCarthy doesn't ignore any of that. He takes all of that into account, as well as a full assessment of other options that are higher risk/higher reward and considers how all three phases of the game come together/leverage each other to achieve a winning outcome. It's why he's one of, if not the best finishers in the game in spite of the historical weakness of his defense.
    He gets some blame for the defense first of all. He's not Assistant Head Coach for Offense.

But mainly he gets the blame for playing for late leads with FGs too often. Far too often he bleeds the clock, gets a FG and sees the opponent march in TD territory. It cannot be news to him that his Defense is capable of folding under those circumstances. Even if Ted and Dom have betrayed Mike the Offensive Playcaller, his job as McCarthy the Head Coach is to take that into account.

Blog Entries
    He gets some blame for the defense first of all. He's not Assistant Head Coach for Offense.

But mainly he gets the blame for playing for late leads with FGs too often. Far too often he bleeds the clock, gets a FG and sees the opponent march in TD territory. It cannot be news to him that his Defense is capable of folding under those circumstances. Even if Ted and Dom have betrayed Mike the Offensive Playcaller, his job as McCarthy the Head Coach is to take that into account.
    I'm gonna stop because we're going in circles. Once again, your premise is wrong.

You don't blame success. The fact that you're defining success as finishing a game farther ahead in the score than you went into the 4th quarter doesn't make that definition hold for the rest of the universe. They count wins - not 4th quarter wins.

I can only state the reality that he's the single most effective coach/play-caller at successfully finishing games with a 4th quarter lead so many times before recognizing that you're deadset on ignoring that fact in order to maintain a position of second-guessing him by ignoring half of the risk/reward equation in your hypothetical scenarios and steadfastly arguing about why he's a failure in the very area in which he in fact has achieved the greatest success in the league.

I'm gonna stop because we're going in circles. Once again, your premise is wrong.

You don't blame success. The fact that you're defining success as finishing a game farther ahead in the score than you went into the 4th quarter doesn't make that definition hold for the rest of the universe.

I can only state the reality that he's the single most effective coach/play-caller at successfully finishing games with a 4th quarter lead so many times before recognizing that you're deadset on ignoring that fact in order to maintain a position of second-guessing him by ignoring half of the risk/reward equation in your hypothetical scenarios and steadfastly arguing about why he's a failure in the very area in which he in fact has achieved the greatest success in the league.
    Blame success? Most success includes some failures along the way. I am looking for ways to improve on that mix. I take it as a given only that improvement can be had. I do not believe I definitely know what should be done. For all I know, I might be barking up the wrong forest.

If its just a fourth quarter lead we are looking at, then the Packers are the 5th best at winning% with a 1 point lead (or more) at the end of the 3rd Quarter.

http://pfref.com/tiny/Tcj46

If I have interpreted your claim wrong, please send the link so I can look at the numbers. One word of caution with Pro Football Reference, while their links go to the right search and data, the search form itself is missing settings. So for instance each link I posted gives data from teams with a lead (or having been behind at one point) but the search form on the page does not indicate it.

I know it's an "even if" statement, but I've been thinking about how many first-round picks TT has invested in this porous defense. There's Clay Matthews, Kenny Clark, Nick Perry, Datone Jones, Damarious Randall, and Ha-H Clinton Dix. That's six first round picks.

He seems to have spent the majority of his recent first round resources on defense. On offense, and I'm doing all this off the top of my head, there's Bulaga, Rodgers, and . . . ? Lots of second and third rounders, but the seemingly most valuable resource, the first rounder, has been spent primarily on defense. Thompson certainly has not shorted that side of the ball in terms of spending resources. As for results...

This leads me to think that maybe one way to make a transition to the next GM would be to allow Ted to choose only players on the offensive side of the ball, and let someone else - anyone else? - draft the defensive side.

I know injuries are an issue for this defense, but even before the onslaught, this wasn't a defense that appeared to be a unit of strength on this team. And now it's like watching that 2011 defense.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    I know it's an "even if" statement, but I've been thinking about how many first-round picks TT has invested in this porous defense. There's Clay Matthews, Kenny Clark, Nick Perry, Datone Jones, Damarious Randall, and Ha-H Clinton Dix. That's six first round picks.

He seems to have spent the majority of his recent first round resources on defense. On offense, and I'm doing all this off the top of my head, there's Bulaga, Rodgers, and . . . ? Lots of second and third rounders, but the seemingly most valuable resource, the first rounder, has been spent primarily on defense. Thompson certainly has not shorted that side of the ball in terms of spending resources. As for results...

This leads me to think that maybe one way to make a transition to the next GM would be to allow Ted to choose only players on the offensive side of the ball, and let someone else - anyone else? - draft the defensive side.

I know injuries are an issue for this defense, but even before the onslaught, this wasn't a defense that appeared to be a unit of strength on this team. And now it's like watching that 2011 defense.
    In reality, this is what vince and I should be arguing about. The Defense should be better, you would think, given the attention given to it. But its always beat to hell.

We would need to run numbers on draft picks again. It always seems like the top picks go to D, but I bet its closer to even than we remember.
    Last edited by pbmax; 01-19-2017 at 02:03 PM.

In reality, this is what vince and I should be arguing about. The Defense should be better, you would think, given the attention given to it. But its always beat to hell.

We would need to run numbers on draft picks again. It always seems like the top picks go to D, but I bet its closer to even than we remember.
    I'll add Raji and Harrell to the D and Sherrod to the O

In a way, that 2 point play in Arizona might crystalize the issue with McCarthy. If the play he needs isn't on the play sheet, he changes his game strategy.

That is ass backwards.