Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Demovsky - Shields Done in Green Bay

Blog Entries

Demovsky - Shields Done in Green Bay

Not surprising but this appears like it could be unofficial confirmation of the expected anyway...

Sam Shields, the Packers' former No. 1 cornerback, will be done in Green Bay. The Packers will release Shields, who hasn't played since Week 1 because of a concussion that landed him on injured reserve. It was his second concussion in nine months and the fourth known concussion of his NFL career, which began in 2010. He has one year left on the four-year, $39 million deal he signed in 2014, and the Packers would save $9 million on next year's salary cap if they let him go. The move might force them to draft another cornerback high, even as high as the first round. -- Rob Demovsky
    Last edited by vince; 01-18-2017 at 11:01 AM.

They will have to draft multiple cornerbacks. Rollins is still in the concussion protocol and Randall looks like a bust..

Oracle Rat HOFer Cheesehead Craig's Avatar
    It's a real strong draft for CBs from what I've read.
    All hail the Ruler of the Meadow!

CutlerquitRat HOFer
    Randall is a bust this year but it sometimes takes CBs a bit to develop.
    Swede: My expertise in this area is extensive. The essential difference between a "battleship" and an "aircraft carrier" is that an aircraft carrier requires five direct hits to sink, but it takes only four direct hits to sink a battleship.

According to Over the Cap, cutting Shields and James Starks will put the Packers at ~$48M under the cap. They'll want to resign guys like T.J. Lang, Nick Perry, and Jared Cook and perhaps Micah Hyde, J.C. Tretter, Datone Jones, Eddie Lacy to reasonable deals, but they have great flexibility. I wouldn't be surprised to see the Packers sign another prominent free agent or two.
    "There's a lot of interest in the draft. It's great. But quite frankly, most of the people that are commenting on it don't know anything about what they are talking about."--Ted Thompson

I think Lang is done

So any rumors as to potential FA CB's this off season?

Quote Originally Posted by Upnorth View Post
    So any rumors as to potential FA CB's this off season?
    There isn't much at CB. A.J. Bouye is probably the top player available. It sounds like the draft is deep at CB though.

RB has Le'Veon Bell, Latavius Murray, and probably Adrian Peterson. Eddie Lacy could be resigned.

DL looks pretty strong in free agency. Both edge guys and interior guys.
    "There's a lot of interest in the draft. It's great. But quite frankly, most of the people that are commenting on it don't know anything about what they are talking about."--Ted Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by JustinHarrell View Post
    I think Lang is done
    he's 29, part of the #1 pass blocking group in the nfl. why do you think he's done?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by HarveyWallbangers View Post
    There isn't much at CB. A.J. Bouye is probably the top player available. It sounds like the draft is deep at CB though.

RB has Le'Veon Bell, Latavius Murray, and probably Adrian Peterson. Eddie Lacy could be resigned.

DL looks pretty strong in free agency. Both edge guys and interior guys.
    I like Gilmore from Buffalo who I believe will be on the market unless franchised by the Bills.

i called this over a year ago

The Packers will draft CORDREA TANKERSLEY of Clemson with their 1st round pick.

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    The Packers will draft CORDREA TANKERSLEY of Clemson with their 1st round pick.
    Tank's offspring?
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Shields will always have my respect after ending at least 2 Bears games with interceptions.
    Too early to write of Randall, but yes, draft another corner high in the draft.
    Who Knows? The Shadow knows!

yup, we need an infusion

draft a guy and maybe someone makes the mistake of cutting a #1 corner, cause we could use one of those, and it sure as shit ain't gonna be randall

Blog Entries
    yup, we need an infusion

draft a guy and maybe someone makes the mistake of cutting a quality receiver, cause we could use one of those, and it sure as shit ain't gonna be adams!
    Randall is a huge question at this point, but with all his injuries this year, history strongly suggests that it's premature/wrong to write a talented player off this soon.

That 48mil estimate sounded like a lot but based on the following URL (http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cap/2017/) it's lost some of it's luster compared to some of the available space for other teams. Tentatively thinking the following for the Packer FA's (correct me if way off):

- T.J. Lang (likely resign provided he gives some type of hometown discount given his high level of play and toughness and consumate teammate)
    - Nick Perry (strong possibility of being gone in a bidding war unless do resign him before he hits the market)
    - Jared Cook (seems like the perfect marriage here and so guessing 3-4 year reasonable deal)
    - Micah Hyde (guessing he resigns as I think the Packers view him higher than the league does but maybe I'm wrong)
    - J.C. Tretter (likely gone for starters money elsewhere)
    - Datone Jones (just another guy and so if resigned, would be team friendly contract)
    - Eddie Lacy (when healthy and lean a difference maker, unfortunately the changes of that are minimal and so unless it's a team friendly contract - likely gone)
    60% of the time it works every time.

Vince, are you somehow trying to suggest that people are writing off Randall just like they wrote off Adams last year?

Blog Entries
    I'm trying Joe but I'm not holding my breath either.

Quote Originally Posted by vince View Post
    Randall is a huge question at this point, but with all his injuries this year, history strongly suggests that it's premature/wrong to write a talented player off this soon.
    except he repeatedly has showed us that his problems aren't physical, its between his ears