Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Eliot Wolf staying in Green Bay

has anyone mentioned that mcginn had an article today stating that dorsey is still the odds on favorite to replace TT

http://www.jsonline.com/story/sports...nged/96795820/

Quote Originally Posted by red View Post
    has anyone mentioned that mcginn had an article today stating that dorsey is still the odds on favorite to replace TT

http://www.jsonline.com/story/sports...nged/96795820/
    Second time he has wrote that but he doesn't have a source for it. Speculation. In the previous article, he said that using the search firm he was involved with when he took the Packers jobs (and I *think* worked for the Jaguars) was almost as likely.

So take it with a grain of salt. But Dorsey is logical after another year. He looks more like Wolf, Thompson and Schneider then in comparison to Wolf, Gutekunst and Highsmith.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Blog Entries
    The silver-haired, steely-eyed assassin doesn't like all this talk about his demise. Watch your back Harlan.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    Second time he has wrote that but he doesn't have a source for it. Speculation. In the previous article, he said that using the search firm he was involved with when he took the Packers jobs (and I *think* worked for the Jaguars) was almost as likely.

So take it with a grain of salt. But Dorsey is logical after another year. He looks more like Wolf, Thompson and Schneider then in comparison to Wolf, Gutekunst and Highsmith.

What I don't understand is why Dorsey would want to make a lateral move. He's already a GM in one of the great football towns in the U.S. Why move back to Green Bay for the same basic job?
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Why is anyone in a rush to replace Ted?

I'm still not sold on Wolf Pup. I think he's a "System" guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    What I don't understand is why Dorsey would want to make a lateral move. He's already a GM in one of the great football towns in the U.S. Why move back to Green Bay for the same basic job?
    Its a fair question. It would be the ever so slightest promotion, as he was hired after Reid in KC.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

I am glad to see so many Packerrats preparing for Sunday's loss by looking ahead to the crucifixion of Thompson, McCarthy, et al.

I believe I'll begin with the gambit that although the last half of the season was great fun, getting so far into a hole was too much to dig out of, and thus we must look at McCarthy for not getting his team in better position earlier in the season.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

one of the great < the greatest

The only solid thought I have on this topic is the absurdity of any beer swilling poster in this forum having any measure of the GM talents of any candidate. It's already a stretch that we can evaluate a defensive back.

I am glad to see so many Packerrats preparing for Sunday's loss by looking ahead to the crucifixion of Thompson, McCarthy, et al.

I believe I'll begin with the gambit that although the last half of the season was great fun, getting so far into a hole was too much to dig out of, and thus we must look at McCarthy for not getting his team in better position earlier in the season.
    I disagree. All the front office extensions and the Dorsey in a year rumors are to prep for Thompson's career ending firing next year after a 2 game losing streak.

Quote Originally Posted by Harlan Huckleby View Post

The only solid thought I have on this topic is the absurdity of any beer swilling poster in this forum having any measure of the GM talents of any candidate. It's already a stretch that we can evaluate a defensive back.
    Are you telling me you think woodbuck was exaggerating when he said I could be the Packers GM?

Quote Originally Posted by ThunderDan View Post
    Well we keep getting people "stolen" from our front office and we keep replacing them. And the people we replace them with get "stolen" also. So we must have an incredible amount of talent in our front office and the ability to retrain our new hires. To me that suggests a well run machine by TT.
    Or, we have an all world quarterback once again carrying his team on a playoff run...

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesehead Craig View Post
    TT's draft and develop philosophy works everywhere!
    ??? Dorsey, McKenzie and Schneider have ALL used free agency and trades to varying degrees to build their roster...

Jumbo Rat HOFer
    Quote Originally Posted by ptisme View Post
    Or, we have an all world quarterback once again carrying his team on a playoff run...
    GB is a hell of a lot more than ARod. Sure, I wouldn't want any other QB in the league to lead our team.

If it truly was ARod, why would any other team want someone in our front office? There is only 1 ARod and the chance of finding another is slim.

Look at what those 3 have done for their franchises. All 3 made the playoffs this year. Sea is on a multi-year playoff run and a Super Bowl win. McKenzie has turned Oakland from the laughing stock of the league to a contender.
    But Rodgers leads the league in frumpy expressions and negative body language on the sideline, which makes him, like Josh Allen, a unique double threat.

-Tim Harmston

Philip Rivers should be proof enough that it takes more than a QB.

They like Highsmith a lot and he is connected back to Wolf, who hired him. Alonzo gets a thumbs up from me for finding Sam Shields and having the best Packers Twitter account (which has suffered as he climbed the org ladder).

Eliot is getting another job title and promotion (and more money) and Bobbo mentioned another guy they like* stepping up to replace Gutenkunst.

There is also a rumor that former Packer scout Trent Baalke is coming back. He's from Rosendale, the greatest speed trap in Wisconsin.

*Jon-Eric Sullivan, their director of college scouting, http://www.packersnews.com/story/spo...-job/96779258/
    " There is also a rumor that former Packer scout Trent Baalke is coming back. He's from Rosendale, the greatest speed trap in Wisconsin."

Trent Baalke is getting the 'H' out of there and besides the coffee shops suck.
    ** Since 2006 3 X Pro Pickem' Champion; 4 X Runner-Up and 3 X 3rd place.
    ** To download Jesus Loves Me ring tones, you'll need a cell phone mame
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?
    ** Rather than love, money or fame - give me TRUTH: Henry D. Thoreau

GM is the kind of job that a lot of people can do successfully just by going with the flow. The exceptional case is when somebody applies stupidity or whatever and screws things up. Luck or circumstance or one decision that turns out great can make a GM's reputation and that of a whole slew of his "descendants" for decades. Arguably, Aaron Rodgers MADE the reputation of Ted Thompson as well as the reputation of Schneider and Dorsey and the rest of them. I'll stop short of saying Ted lucked into getting Rodgers, but he certainly was presented with the circumstance and made the obvious decision at the time. Other than that, he has been pretty mediocre. The most similar thing I can think of to the Aaron Rodgers phenomenon is the coin flip where the Bucks got Lew Alcindor/Kareem Abdul Jabbar. That and the trades deriving from it kept the Bucks near the top for over 20 years. The only difference is that instead of trades parlaying a team into continued success after the big lucky break, it has been personnel people getting considered for jobs based on Ted's success.

Who among us, though, given a full time effort and a staff of scouts, couldn't roll the dice and make adequate draft picks, negotiate and sign our own players (or not), maybe go after and get (or not) other people's free agents or off the street?
    What could be more GOOD and NORMAL and AMERICAN than Packer Football?

Jumbo Rat HOFer
    Quote Originally Posted by texaspackerbacker View Post
    Who among us, though, given a full time effort and a staff of scouts, couldn't roll the dice and make adequate draft picks, negotiate and sign our own players (or not), maybe go after and get (or not) other people's free agents or off the street?
    You!
    But Rodgers leads the league in frumpy expressions and negative body language on the sideline, which makes him, like Josh Allen, a unique double threat.

-Tim Harmston

but he certainly was presented with the circumstance and made the obvious decision at the time.
    This is patently false, unfortunately our records here don't stretch back that far. No one wanted a QB, they wanted Defensive help of skill position players.

QB was not high on the list and despite the value, people were not convinced of Rodgers and immediately everyone started complaining about drafting for the future and not for Favre's window.

The best that can be said of the public reaction is that by and large people did think this was a value pick.

This is patently false, unfortunately our records here don't stretch back that far. No one wanted a QB, they wanted Defensive help of skill position players.

QB was not high on the list and despite the value, people were not convinced of Rodgers and immediately everyone started complaining about drafting for the future and not for Favre's window.

The best that can be said of the public reaction is that by and large people did think this was a value pick.
    Fans hated ted for that pick. Arrogant, stupid, as good as gone...... that was the least obvious pick I ever remember.

Blog Entries
    GM is the kind of job that a lot of people can do successfully just by going with the flow. The exceptional case is when somebody applies stupidity or whatever and screws things up. Luck or circumstance or one decision that turns out great can make a GM's reputation and that of a whole slew of his "descendants" for decades. Arguably, Aaron Rodgers MADE the reputation of Ted Thompson as well as the reputation of Schneider and Dorsey and the rest of them. I'll stop short of saying Ted lucked into getting Rodgers, but he certainly was presented with the circumstance and made the obvious decision at the time. Other than that, he has been pretty mediocre. The most similar thing I can think of to the Aaron Rodgers phenomenon is the coin flip where the Bucks got Lew Alcindor/Kareem Abdul Jabbar. That and the trades deriving from it kept the Bucks near the top for over 20 years. The only difference is that instead of trades parlaying a team into continued success after the big lucky break, it has been personnel people getting considered for jobs based on Ted's success.

You have to be joking with this.

I guess this level of ignorance of the knowledge, skills and abilities required, along with the extreme demands of the job, is why so many fans think they could do better than those that have dedicated their professional lives to learning their profession and still most don't ultimately rise to and/or succeed at the highest level.

It's all who you know and a bunch of tosses at the dart board eh? Sign all the best free agents, that's it.
    Last edited by vince; 01-21-2017 at 10:42 AM.