Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Eliot Wolf staying in Green Bay

Aaron Nagler ‏@AaronNagler 11h11 hours ago
    Ted Thompson, who drafted Aaron Rodgers, is lucky to have Aaron Rodgers. My timeline.

TIME IS A FLAT CIRCLE
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Blog Entries
    Luck is the explanation people give for the success of those they don’t like or understand.

Was Ted lucky Rodgers was available? He had the unique vision to accurately recognize an opportunity, and the significant will to take advantage of it in the face of what he knew would be vocal opposition.

None of the GM's who selected before him - almost all of whom had stronger needs at the QB position - possessed any of that. And has been mentioned before, very few pundits/fans/etc. did either. He was roundly criticized but stuck to his vision in spite of overwhelming public pressure and criticism.

Lucky indeed.

If Ted wasn't so good, he'd be bad. Therefore he's bad.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    This is patently false, unfortunately our records here don't stretch back that far. No one wanted a QB, they wanted Defensive help of skill position players.

QB was not high on the list and despite the value, people were not convinced of Rodgers and immediately everyone started complaining about drafting for the future and not for Favre's window.

The best that can be said of the public reaction is that by and large people did think this was a value pick.
    That's exactly the point; Nobody, including Ted, wanted a QB in the first round or anywhere near it. However, when you're at #21 (or near it) and one of the two guys projected to be the best player/top pick in the whole draft falls to you, it's 1. a fortunate circumstance and 2. an obvious decision to make.

True, none of the GMs picking earlier chose him - that's fortunate for us. It's also possible those other teams had more pressing needs and the Packers really didn't.

It's also possible that it really wasn't a very good decision to make, but Aaron Rodgers just turned out to be so damn good - better than anybody expected - that it became a super decision.

Anyway, my original point was, being a good GM is a lot more luck and circumstance than skill and wisdom.
    Last edited by texaspackerbacker; 01-21-2017 at 12:47 PM.
    What could be more GOOD and NORMAL and AMERICAN than Packer Football?

Quote Originally Posted by texaspackerbacker View Post
    That's exactly the point; Nobody, including Ted, wanted a QB in the first round or anywhere near it. However, when you're at #21 (or near it) and one of the two guys projected to be the best player/top pick in the whole draft falls to you, it's 1. a fortunate circumstance and 2. an obvious decision to make.
    Twenty-two teams disagree with you. That they were proven wrong argues against your anyone could do it theory.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by texaspackerbacker View Post

True, none of the GMs picking earlier chose him - that's fortunate for us. It's also possible those other teams had more pressing needs and the Packers really didn't.
    More pressing needs then the best player in the draft. More pressing needs than a hall of fame QB. If the draft were held tomorrow and ARod entered it, would he go #1 no matter who was holding that pick? Since the answer is YES, what you mean is that nobody thought he was good enough to draft ahead of their pressing needs. (since no one ever has more pressing needs than a 10+ year starting hall of fame QB)
    I don't hold Grudges. It's counterproductive.

Quote Originally Posted by bobblehead View Post
    More pressing needs then the best player in the draft. More pressing needs than a hall of fame QB. If the draft were held tomorrow and ARod entered it, would he go #1 no matter who was holding that pick? Since the answer is YES, what you mean is that nobody thought he was good enough to draft ahead of their pressing needs. (since no one ever has more pressing needs than a 10+ year starting hall of fame QB)
    Hindsight is 20/20, as they say. Obviously when I say pressing needs, I'm talking about positions. I'll give Ted credit for drafting Aaron Rodgers; I'll even say he hasn't been a bad GM - records don't lie. If one of those other GMs did grab Rodgers earlier, though, or if he hadn't turned out to be so damn good, either Ted would be long gone or else life would be long term depressing in Packerland - kinda like the 80s.

Quote Originally Posted by vince View Post
    Luck is the explanation people give for the success of those they don’t like or understand.

Was Ted lucky Rodgers was available? He had the unique vision to accurately recognize an opportunity, and the significant will to take advantage of it in the face of what he knew would be vocal opposition.

None of the GM's who selected before him - almost all of whom had stronger needs at the QB position - possessed any of that. And has been mentioned before, very few pundits/fans/etc. did either. He was roundly criticized but stuck to his vision in spite of overwhelming public pressure and criticism.

Lucky indeed.

If Ted wasn't so good, he'd be bad. Therefore he's bad.
    Ted has brass balls the size of Ohio for that pick. I was in a motel room shouting with Berman "Pick him! Pick him!"

Since I thought that was a good pick I could probably do just as good a job, right?!

The fan reaction was extremely negative. Extremely. The same complaint people are making now about the Rodgers-era teams: we have a HOF QB! Why isn't Ted doing more while the Packers have this window? Why doesn't he draft someone to help his QB now/sign someone?

And yes, hindsight is 20/20. So remember that when Thompson drafted Aaron Rodgers, he was thought of as a Ted Telford "system" QB, and the knock was that Telford's QB's had a bad track record in the pros. He was no sure bet. The longer he fell, the more the doubts piled up. 23 GM's had rendered their verdict on this college prospect by the time it was Thompson's pick.

It was a helluva smart pick. And not an easy call to make, given that he was not yet the Aaron Rodgers that colors our view now when we look back. And given that if he didn't pan out, Thompson would've wasted a first round pick on a position not seen as a need at a time he had a HOF QB and a team that needed help at other positions to make a run.

Gutsy call. When anyone says it was an "easy" call, they're using hindsight.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    The fan reaction was extremely negative. Extremely. The same complaint people are making now about the Rodgers-era teams: we have a HOF QB! Why isn't Ted doing more while the Packers have this window? Why doesn't he draft someone to help his QB now/sign someone?

And yes, hindsight is 20/20. So remember that when Thompson drafted Aaron Rodgers, he was thought of as a Ted Telford "system" QB, and the knock was that Telford's QB's had a bad track record in the pros. He was no sure bet. The longer he fell, the more the doubts piled up. 23 GM's had rendered their verdict on this college prospect by the time it was Thompson's pick.

It was a helluva smart pick. And not an easy call to make, given that he was not yet the Aaron Rodgers that colors our view now when we look back. And given that if he didn't pan out, Thompson would've wasted a first round pick on a position not seen as a need at a time he had a HOF QB and a team that needed help at other positions to make a run.

Either that or it was a dumb pick that he just got extremely lucky on hahahahaha.

There must be a little luck in most of these good picks.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Mike Wells
    ESPN Staff Writer

The Colts announce six candidates will interview for the vacant GM job. Chris Ballard (KC) Scott Fitterer (SEA) Trent Kirchner (SEA) George Paton (MIN) Jimmy Raye III (IND) Eliot Wolf (GB)

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    Mike Wells
    ESPN Staff Writer

The Colts announce six candidates will interview for the vacant GM job. Chris Ballard (KC) Scott Fitterer (SEA) Trent Kirchner (SEA) George Paton (MIN) Jimmy Raye III (IND) Eliot Wolf (GB)
    All a distraction. He wants to hire Peyton Manning to run it all.

I find it interesting Ballard agreed to be interviewed here. Didn't he turn down that opportunity for the 9ers?
    No longer the member of any fan clubs. I'm tired of jinxing players out of the league and into obscurity.

Quote Originally Posted by Smidgeon View Post
    I find it interesting Ballard agreed to be interviewed here. Didn't he turn down that opportunity for the 9ers?
    9ers have Kaepernick. Colts have Luck.

Ballard to Colts. Is keeping Pagano for at least a year.

Eliot Wolf's ascension to the rarified air of football immortality has been delayed again.

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 25m25 minutes ago
    The #Colts have hired GM Chris Ballard, formerly of the #Chiefs.

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post

I must have been in the minority. I couldn't believe Aaron was still sitting there and didn't think Ted would make the move because we didn't need him at the time. That move is the poster child for those who believe in taking the BPA no matter what your needs are. I got very excited when we took Rodgers that day. Thanks Ted.

49ers to hire John Lynch as GM. Hiring the Player turned Announcer as GM always works. Just ask the Lions.

49ers to hire John Lynch as GM. Hiring the Player turned Announcer as GM always works. Just ask the Lions.
    Clown show.

I live near SF. When the 49ers ran over the Packers two years in a row, the fans who knew I was a Packers fan couldn't stop crowing about the victories. My only response was: "Let's see what this looks like in 3 years. The 9ers will fall and GB will still be in the hunt."

My prediction came true, but 49er fans are such fair weather fans it's no fun rubbing their faces in it.
    No longer the member of any fan clubs. I'm tired of jinxing players out of the league and into obscurity.

Quote Originally Posted by Smidgeon View Post
    I live near SF. When the 49ers ran over the Packers two years in a row, the fans who knew I was a Packers fan couldn't stop crowing about the victories. My only response was: "Let's see what this looks like in 3 years. The 9ers will fall and GB will still be in the hunt."

My prediction came true, but 49er fans are such fair weather fans it's no fun rubbing their faces in it.
    It would be fun to hunt them down for a reminder. I can help by telling you the fans aren't in Santa Clara anymore.