Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: Eliot Wolf staying in Green Bay

How dysfunctional are the 49er's? Hiring John Lynch as the GM with no experience sounds like a disaster. No wonder Eliot Wolf didn't get the job. He probably gave an interview to Jed York that would be consistent with a sane GM.

Quote Originally Posted by Teamcheez1 View Post
    How dysfunctional are the 49er's? Hiring John Lynch as the GM with no experience sounds like a disaster. No wonder Eliot Wolf didn't get the job. He probably gave an interview to Jed York that would be consistent with a sane GM.
    He probably wanted total control over roster decisions and hiring and firing of the head coach. Like what he'll probably have when TT retires.

One of the Detroit papers actually hunted Matt Millen down to get his reaction to the Lynch hiring. It was almost painful to read.

But in a world where a failed TV host with zero political experience can be elected president of the United States, what the hell?

At this rate, Tank could be selected as the next Packer GM.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

has a pretty good sense of humor. cracked a couple of jokes during his pressers that had guys laughing.

Quote Originally Posted by gbgary View Post
    has a pretty good sense of humor. cracked a couple of jokes during his pressers that had guys laughing.
    In other words, he's the anti Ted.

Senior Rat HOFer Carolina_Packer's Avatar
    Bump.

So, is Eliot out the door now? He's still under contract. Do you think Dorsey or McKenzie might try and get him to move on (assuming the Packers let him out of his contract)?

The tricky part of hiring the HOF GM's son is that while he might have the same type of aptitude his father has for football operations, this moment always loomed. Will they hire Eliot (partially) because he's Ron's son and Ron was instrumental to the re-birth of the Packers? If those were ever the expectations, that's tricky. If he's the best guy for the job, that's one thing, but nothing should artificially give Eliot the advantage, even if Ron is so important to the Packers.

I hope he's not upset with the current Packers brass. You want your son to be successful in his own right, not because you paved the way for him.
    "Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." -Daniel Patrick Moynihan

i hope he stays but can't blame him if he leaves later when something else comes up.

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/inde...ml#incart_2box

Eliot Wolf, interviewing with the Browns today, also has a Raiders offer, per report

Updated 5:33 PM; Posted 4:26 PM
    ** Since 2006 3 X Pro Pickem' Champion; 4 X Runner-Up and 3 X 3rd place.
    ** To download Jesus Loves Me ring tones, you'll need a cell phone mame
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?
    ** Rather than love, money or fame - give me TRUTH: Henry D. Thoreau

Blog Entries
    VERY DISAPPOINTING THREAD

When I jumped in I actually believed it was real time news
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

http://www.espn.com/espn/now?nowId=2...910031910569-4

Eliot Wolf, who is in Cleveland interviewing with GM John Dorsey today, also has an offer to join Reggie McKenzie/Jon Gruden in Oakland, per a source. That's on top of the Packers' offer for him to be new GM Brian Gutekunst's right-hand man in Green Bay.

Rob Demovsky, ESPN Staff Writer
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?

Quote Originally Posted by Bretsky View Post

You thought Eliot Wolf would stay in Green Bay !?

I didn't dig for this Thread. It was already up on the 1st Page with (his name on it). Rather than creating a new Thread I just dumped the LINK on it.

How much would you bet that Eliot Wolf would stay in Green Bay?

I'd lay 3-1 on $1K American he leaves for Greener Pastures one time, with anyone I know.
    Last edited by woodbuck27; 01-09-2018 at 07:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ThunderDan View Post
    Well we keep getting people "stolen" from our front office and we keep replacing them. And the people we replace them with get "stolen" also. So we must have an incredible amount of talent in our front office and the ability to retrain our new hires. To me that suggests a well run machine by TT.
    Really !?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by woodbuck27 View Post
    You thought Eliot Wolf would stay in Green Bay !?

I didn't dig for this Thread. It was already up on the 1st Page with (his name on it). Rather than creating a new Thread I just dumped the LINK on it.

How much would you bet that Eliot Wolf would stay in Green Bay?

I'd lay 3-1 on $1K American he leaves for Greener Pastures one time, with anyone I know.

I definitely did NOT think Wolf would stay

So when I saw the thread I was kinda excited

Til I figured out it was from last year

I'd probably put the odds abou 7-1
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

Quote Originally Posted by Bretsky View Post

I keep doing the same every time this bumps up also.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro ~Hunter S.

Quote Originally Posted by texaspackerbacker View Post
    That's exactly the point; Nobody, including Ted, wanted a QB in the first round or anywhere near it. However, when you're at #21 (or near it) and one of the two guys projected to be the best player/top pick in the whole draft falls to you, it's 1. a fortunate circumstance and 2. an obvious decision to make.

True, none of the GMs picking earlier chose him - that's fortunate for us. It's also possible those other teams had more pressing needs and the Packers really didn't.

It's also possible that it really wasn't a very good decision to make, but Aaron Rodgers just turned out to be so damn good - better than anybody expected - that it became a super decision.

Anyway, my original point was, being a good GM is a lot more luck and circumstance than skill and wisdom.
    2005 NFL DRAFT:

http://www.nfl.com/draft/history/fulldraft?season=2005

https://www.foxsports.com/nfl/story/...5-draft-060816

How a 2005 NFL mock draft helped the Packers get Aaron Rodgers

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    It doesn't look like anyone is interviewing Wolf for GM. But maybe he needs to leave anyway to get out of GB, get some varied experience so he looks more attractive for a future GM spot.

Sometimes people interview laterally like this to increase the offer from back home...
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    Aaron Nagler ‏@AaronNagler 11h11 hours ago
    Ted Thompson, who drafted Aaron Rodgers, is lucky to have Aaron Rodgers. My timeline.

TIME IS A FLAT CIRCLE
    "A circle has no end"

Ted Thompson and Aaron Rodgers can both be found at the Second Foundation headquarters...
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Quote Originally Posted by mraynrand View Post
    "A circle has no end"

Ted Thompson and Aaron Rodgers can both be found at the Second Foundation headquarters...
    Nice, another reference from the SF canon. Herbert, now Asimov.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro ~Hunter S.