Thread: QB Leverage

QB Leverage

Don't know if you caught this early in the week, but we had two developments on QB's career always end badly front.

1. Ben Rothsliesberger is going straight down Favre St. by telling the press he will take time this offseason to "if there’s going to be a next season".

2. Aaron Rodgers said he hoped the Packers would be all in for next season. "I think I have a number of years left in me (where) I can play at a high level. We’ve just got to make sure we’re going all-in every year to win. And I think we can take a big step this offseason."

Ben is reportedly mad at Todd Haley and another loss to the Patriots. Rodgers not sure. Might be talking about Cook or Lang. My money would be on a FA signing like Peppers or Cook for Defense.
    Last edited by pbmax; 01-25-2017 at 09:23 AM.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

CutlerquitRat HOFer
    AR is pissed there is no defense.

Damn autocorrect
    Last edited by Tony Oday; 01-25-2017 at 09:43 AM.
    Swede: My expertise in this area is extensive. The essential difference between a "battleship" and an "aircraft carrier" is that an aircraft carrier requires five direct hits to sink, but it takes only four direct hits to sink a battleship.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Oday View Post
    AR is pissed there is not defense.
    Yeah, but there are a lot of moving parts on offense. 3 O lineman and his TE need to be signed or replaced.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    Yeah, but there are a lot of moving parts on offense. 3 O lineman and his TE need to be signed or replaced.
    Which is why it is reload, not rebuild. Our O as it stands is top 5 and will be going forward, unless we can't adjust to increased quick pressure that was shown to be a bit of an achilles heel for Arod.

CutlerquitRat HOFer
    Cook will re-sign because he likes to be on a winning team. Seems like we replace Oline like light bulbs what we can't do is stop the pass, at all. Need a vet CB to sign here or two. Shields needs to decide if his headaches will continue, I think they will, and that means we need two starters.
    Swede: My expertise in this area is extensive. The essential difference between a "battleship" and an "aircraft carrier" is that an aircraft carrier requires five direct hits to sink, but it takes only four direct hits to sink a battleship.

AR's "all-in" is a not so subtle shot across TT's bow for not being active in FA. about having a team full of rookies or inexperienced 2nd year players on the field. he wants another SB.

ALL-IN

Quote Originally Posted by gbgary View Post
    AR's "all-in" is a not so subtle shot across TT's bow for not being active in FA. about having a team full of rookies or inexperienced 2nd year players on the field. he wants another SB.

ALL-IN
    That's how it reads to many members of this board, not sure Rodgers feels exactly as you do seeing as how his year was measurably improved by Cook.

Agree he wants another Super Bowl.

I thought Rodgers' "reload" comment vs "rebuild" was about resigning their own, considering there are a lot.

Maybe I'm oblivious, but I didn't think his comments were a shot at anyone, more like a reminder that they're better than their four game losing streak showed, and that adding more talent (e.g. resigning, draft, FA) will only help them get better.
    No longer the member of any fan clubs. I'm tired of jinxing players out of the league and into obscurity.

Quote Originally Posted by Smidgeon View Post
    I thought Rodgers' "reload" comment vs "rebuild" was about resigning their own, considering there are a lot.

Maybe I'm oblivious, but I didn't think his comments were a shot at anyone, more like a reminder that they're better than their four game losing streak showed, and that adding more talent (e.g. resigning, draft, FA) will only help them get better.
    I think this is probably closer to it, but this is the time of year to be a conspiracy theorist.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

That's how it reads to many members of this board, not sure Rodgers feels exactly as you do seeing as how his year was measurably improved by Cook.

Agree he wants another Super Bowl.
    you don't think he would like to see some Cook types at other positions where they're sub-par? 'all-in to win' isn't aimed at the coaches. it's not aimed at the players. it could ONLY be aimed at TT who's consumed by saving money...cheap and young.

you don't think he would like to see some Cook types at other positions where they're sub-par? 'all-in to win' isn't aimed at the coaches. it's not aimed at the players. it could ONLY be aimed at TT who's consumed by saving money...cheap and young.
    It could easily be aimed at players. All in on the offseason, improving their craft. The team had a lot of first/second year players in significant roles. For the Packers to take the next step, they need these players to be ALL IN.

Makes more sense than a veiled shot at TT.
    No longer the member of any fan clubs. I'm tired of jinxing players out of the league and into obscurity.

I think it was a nudge at TT. I suspect he was trying to send a message of "You saw what signing Cook did for the offense? We need that for the defense."

I took it to mean FA as well. It's got to be frustrating to see the defense let them down every year.

Blog Entries
    RODGERS USED RELOAD THREE TIMES IN TWO MINUTES....noted NOT REBUILD..........

This was clearly a call out to TT to be Elway Like during free agency and use all avenues to get this team to the top
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

Somebody needs to give Ted a wake up call. Who better than the REASON for any and all success both Ted and Mike have had?
    What could be more GOOD and NORMAL and AMERICAN than Packer Football?

Allow me to clarify. Yes, he would like another Cook or Peppers type signing to help the team (esp. defense). Probably wants the vets resigned. But this is close to how Ted operates now, see below.

Whether he wants Ted to do this each year OR sign multiple FAs like New England does (each year a couple of guys $5 mil/year and below) is another matter. The board largely would approve this, not sure Rodgers does.

*Forgetting rebuilding Sherman's O line, Ted has signed Manuel, Chillar, Walker, Woodson, Pickett, Ben Taylor, Saturday, Boerigter, Duke Preston, Hargrove and I think its only fair to count Guion and Peppers. That is 12 players over 12 years and I am intentionally omitting the Sherman year because it might not have been what Thompson would do normally. And I think we are forgetting a street free agent or two.

What most Packers fans want is MORE of them and for more of them to be successful. The problem is that the failure rate is probably 50% across the League. Not sure if Rodgers means what Bretsky thinks he means.

Problem is finding guys like Peppers and Cook on the market is rare. Most have bigger holes and most only want to be paid.

Problem is finding guys like Peppers and Cook on the market is rare. Most have bigger holes and most only want to be paid.
    when i speak of cook-type i mean as far as team impact goes...not how much they cost. impact of a top 10 FA is pretty much guaranteed. you have to pay more but to hell with that. all-in! make it happen!

Glad to know that all that has to happen is Thompson to call up the FA of his choice and they agree to sign on the spot. TT get on this please.