Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Defensive needs, in order.....

Quote Originally Posted by bobblehead View Post
    That is leverage to get him to redo the deal. On the open market he won't make much. Offer him a haircut (fiscally) or cut him. I honestly don't think cutting him makes that D any worse than it was this year. Given his age, production, injury history, I honestly wouldn't be pissed to part ways if he won't take a cut that opens more cap room to sign an FA corner.
    So risk the cap hit, hope you can force an agreement and have an unhappier player for shorter term?

I'd rather cut him outright than do that.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Randall will be this year's Adams. Book it
    Go PACK

since apparently Gunter is the only cb we have that can play bump and run it's imperative that they sign/draft another one. giving up 300-400 yards a game and qb ratings of 100+ every game is ridiculous.
    Last edited by gbgary; 01-23-2017 at 09:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    I remember that. But I also remember him coming up big versus the Giants.

He is almost not a starter because of his limitations. He's not Jarret Bush, but you want him for a utility role not a starting CB or safety. His value is in versatility.
    I see Hyde exactly this way. A guy who can plug and play a lot of spots and do it fairly well, but a guy you'd rather not have starting. Good piece because he's so versatile. We will use him at some point on defense. Injuries are 100% guaranteed to happen in the NFL.

Senior Rat HOFer Carolina_Packer's Avatar
    Randall has some things to square away beside the groin, he had a couple of bad outings early too. But between the groin and his knee, he was not the same guy at the end of the season.
    Since you brought up a point I was wondering about, I'll ask you, PB et al. No excuse, just a fact; Randall had injury concerns this year. He often seemed to give a huge cushion in coverage which often seemed to lead to a target for the guy Randall was covering, which lead to replays where Randall looked like he was late on every target to the guy he was covering. He never really seemed like a ball hawk, all over his guy type of player.

Did he play like that because of his injury or because he's processing too much information and not just reacting? If a guy has a groin and knee injuries, is it possible he was giving that cushion to make sure he had time to react/close and "keep things in front of him" but ultimately getting bled by a thousand cuts?

I recall a few plays in his rookie year when he played press man well; where he anticipated well. I saw one such play in person against the Panthers when Cam threw an out route and Randall undercut the route and got a pick when the Packers were trying to come back. Then there was the pick six against the Raiders.

I think sometimes toughing it out and playing through injuries is admirable, showing toughness, but can mask a players true abilities because they just can't go like they are cable of going, but we see them out there, so many think, well he's good enough to be out there, but that doesn't always lead to effective play. We'll know next year should he be able to stay healthy.
    "Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." -Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Quote Originally Posted by gbgary View Post
    since apparently Gunter is the only cb we have that can play bump and run it's imperative that they sign/draft another one. giving up 300-400 yards a game and qb ratings of 100+ every game is ridiculous.
    I would rather get a mix of talent that can play zone and man to man. THAT way, you can matchup in the best possible way.

What I don't know is why this has not happened before. They have tried to use zones before with poor results.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JustinHarrell View Post
    Our best defensive players were, this year, in order:

Daniels
    Clinton Dix
    Perry
    Burnett (only because he's steady and reliable)
    Peppers (as a situational player)
    Matthews (in a couple flash situations, but he's been hobbled)

Honestly, did anyone else make a play? We should get some development out of Randall, Clark, Brice, ILB group, Lowry and many of the seemingly dozen other rookies/2nd year injured on defense.

But we have very little talent on defense. I think that is clear. We might have to make one decent FA move, get some development and have a really good draft. It's gonna take a big off season to fix that defense. The offense carried us.
    I think you're overrating Dix personally. He was completely invisible the first half of the season. He did come on strong with some (mostly gimme) picks and did start to get some confidence about him as a tackler, but he also was caught out of position and/or a step slow on a number of occasions. The game started to slow down for him the second half, but I can't forget some of the plays he missed that cost the Packers games - Not being able to take down Luck at a crucial time in that game.... Not being able to handle the deflected pass he should have picked off that would have sealed the Falcons game...

I think the safeties maybe look better than they are to many because they're compared to the horrid play of the corners this year.

In the first round we need to take the best available CB with good hands, Pass rushing OLB or coverage MLB.
    Then in the second its the same imo.

So risk the cap hit, hope you can force an agreement and have an unhappier player for shorter term?

I'd rather cut him outright than do that.
    In regards to Matthews:

There are two years left on his contract.
    His 2017 salary will be $15.2M (with $4.1M in dead cap).
    His 2018 salary will be $11.4M with no dead cap money.

He will be 31 this next season. I saw on ESPN, that Matthews is one of the 4 highest paid LB's in the NFL (this came up on the Jamie Collins LB Browns, who just signed a new contract).

I think the Packers should let it ride for 2017, but all bets are off for 2018 depending on his performance (and health) this next season.

Wolf Pack Rat HOFer Deputy Nutz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by red View Post
    nick collins didn't regress after his rookie year, BEFORE THE INJURIES
    I know you struggle in this condition to actually process what you read so I will state it again. He dealt with the groin injury from the 3rd week of the season on. He missed a total of 7 games and had surgery in the middle of the season. His play was sub par I don't think anyone is telling you any different, but I think there are significant reasons for it. If you want to watch two football games at the beginning of the season and say that he was bound to suck for the rest of his pro career, go ahead it doesn't really matter what we think.

I remember that. But I also remember him coming up big versus the Giants.

He is almost not a starter because of his limitations. He's not Jarret Bush, but you want him for a utility role not a starting CB or safety. His value is in versatility.
    If the Giants actually hung onto the balls they dropped with Hyde in coverage I think you would have a different take on the Giants game. He was chasing from behind especially on the first several series. The Packer caught a several breaks in that game with the poor performances of the Giants' receivers.

Also we can bag on the secondary all we want, but the fact of the matter is that in the last two playoff games the Packers struggled to put pressure on the QB. If a QB has time to throw in the NFL there are going to be open receivers. As a whole the Packers need to improve all facets of their pass defense for 2017.

Matthews simply makes too much money for the production and his time spend on the field. He has to either restructure his deal taking upfront guaranteed money or he has to bounce. Nick Perry who also seems to be injured to frequently is a free agent and will command a hefty salary increase. The Packers could be looking at trying to replace three key pass rushers in 2017 with the hopeful retirement of Julius Peppers.

Perry is one of the better free agent pass rushers in 2017 along with Chandler Jones from Arizona. Jones is the one that had a bad reaction to fake marijuana last year during the playoffs. He is also the brother of UFC fighter Jon Jones who is currently suspended due to PEDs. Melvin Ingram from San Diego might also deserve a look. The rest of the guys that bring pass rush are old and past their prime. If the Packers would actually sign any of these guys it would be likely a one year deal maybe three with a front loaded deal, even then it isn't worth it for some of these guys.

At the end of the day the Packers might be stuck with Matthews and his shitty contract.
    Last edited by Deputy Nutz; 01-24-2017 at 11:51 AM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Deputy Nutz View Post
    Also we can bag on the secondary all we want, but the fact of the matter is that in the last two playoff games the Packers struggled to put pressure on the QB. If a QB has time to throw in the NFL there are going to be open receivers. As a whole the Packers need to improve all facets of their pass defense for 2017.

Matthews simply makes too much money for the production and his time spend on the field. He has to either restructure his deal taking upfront guaranteed money or he has to bounce. Nick Perry who also seems to be injured to frequently is a free agent and will command a hefty salary increase. The Packers could be looking at trying to replace three key pass rushers in 2017 with the hopeful retirement of Julius Peppers.
    Great points.

I would rather get a mix of talent that can play zone and man to man. THAT way, you can matchup in the best possible way.

What I don't know is why this has not happened before. They have tried to use zones before with poor results.
    you'd think a guy that can play man could easily play zone so i'd go for the person who could do the tougher task over some project.

If the Giants actually hung onto the balls they dropped with Hyde in coverage I think you would have a different take on the Giants game. He was chasing from behind especially on the first several series. The Packer caught a several breaks in that game with the poor performances of the Giants' receivers.
    hyde is a backup safety first, and then a utility man. he was only in that position out of necessity.

True, but like on that back shoulder throw he broke up (think that was Hyde) being physical because of speed limitations has its advantages on certain routes.

I know you struggle in this condition to actually process what you read so I will state it again. He dealt with the groin injury from the 3rd week of the season on. He missed a total of 7 games and had surgery in the middle of the season. His play was sub par I don't think anyone is telling you any different, but I think there are significant reasons for it. If you want to watch two football games at the beginning of the season and say that he was bound to suck for the rest of his pro career, go ahead it doesn't really matter what we think.
    And like I said, in WEEK 2 he had a terrible game where he showed all the shitty hallmarks that he displayed after the injury

And like I said, in WEEK 2 he had a terrible game where he showed all the shitty hallmarks that he displayed after the injury

Quote Originally Posted by red View Post
    I read somewhere Randall said he hurt the groin or sports hernia or whatever it was in week 1. So my understanding is he only had one healthy game all season. And he was really good that game. After that he was shit.

Lol