Thread: Packers' Off Season Moves and 2017 Roster

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxie the Taxi View Post
    To get an Edge guy who will make a difference, you're gonna have to draft him in the 1st or 2nd round, unless you think Tanoh Kpassagnon is another Julius Peppers.

Who is the starting Guard on the roster? Patrick? Barclay? McCray? Maybe all serviceable, but none tested. And we're talking a couple steps down from Lang. Ted's going to have to pull one out of his hat in the fourth round or later.

I like Monty, but he's not going to play every down. I hope Ted signs LaGarrette Blount. He'd be nice RB insurance, plus he'd save us having to spend a draft choice on a RB.

There are starting quality CB's in this draft who are better than we have on our roster. Ted will get one in the 1st round.
    Monty has the size to do it. I doubt it myself, but McCarthy seems convinced that a lack of history at the position is not going to hurt him. We have a pretty good in season test in his favor and his one significant injury was getting his foot trapped on a tackle. They aren't going to roll in the season with he and Don Jackson, but the odds of adding the top big back are low, no matter what Tom Oates thinks.

Agree about the Edge rusher who can play 3 downs, but you can find someone to pressure the QB on passing downs only later in the draft.

None of the Guards on the roster will be Lang, but veteran Lang costs $20 mil of guaranteed money. He could take a Guard high, but it would either have to be Larry Allen unless Ted and Campen are convinced the youngsters can't hold up.

Cornerback can go either way. Surefire starters go in the first round, this draft might be deep enough to find one at the Packers pick or in the 2nd round. But Ted has found starters elsewhere.

I think the team needs are CB, Edge, Guard and RB in that order. But the draft likelihood is Edge, CB, RB, Guard. And Oates is wrong that the draft plus young guys won't make the Packers a better team that last year. Health alone will do it.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Senior Rat HOFer Maxie the Taxi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    I think the team needs are CB, Edge, Guard and RB in that order. But the draft likelihood is Edge, CB, RB, Guard.
    I agree with your assessment of team needs. How it actually goes down is anyone's guess with TT picking, but like you say, edge talent is available into the middle rounds. Starter quality boundry CB's? No. I just don't see Gunter or Rollins or House as the answer outside. Even Randall is a big question mark.
    One time Lombardi was disgusted with the team in practice and told them they were going to have to start with the basics. He held up a ball and said: "This is a football." McGee immediately called out, "Stop, coach, you're going too fast," and that gave everyone a laugh.
    John Maxymuk, Packers By The Numbers

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    Monty has the size to do it. I doubt it myself, but McCarthy seems convinced that a lack of history at the position is not going to hurt him. We have a pretty good in season test in his favor and his one significant injury was getting his foot trapped on a tackle. They aren't going to roll in the season with he and Don Jackson, but the odds of adding the top big back are low, no matter what Tom Oates thinks.
    Forgot Christine Michael.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.