Page 1 of 33 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Packers' Off Season Moves and 2017 Roster

Wolf Pack Rat HOFer Deputy Nutz's Avatar

Packers' Off Season Moves and 2017 Roster

Tough Loss yesterday, and for all of you that believe I hold hate in my heart for your beloved Packers I have let all of that go, so see it as perspective of someone with a level head this morning and take it for what it's worth, and as always lets discuss.

Overview: More than a few of the Packer faithful are quite upset this morning based on the morning drive into work listening to good old sports talk radio. The Packers set out to win a Super Bowl in the beginning of week 1 in the NFL, and that goal was not met, but considering this team was at 4-6 at week 11 in the season and left for dead by many, making it to the NFC Championship game was no small feat. The Packers have to find some way of staying healthy during the season and having their roster healthy at the end of the season. That might mean some huge personnel decisions in the next few months. The Packer really have to make some hard decisions on key players. I don't think a whole lot of coaches will be fired, Dom Capers might decide to hang up his whistle and that's not a good thing or a bad thing, it is what it is.

Player rankings are based off of the 2016 season. 1 - 5 stars

Offensive Roster

QBs
    Aaron Rodgers *****: Rodgers demonstrated once again that he is one of the great QBs of the 21st century. Rodgers cannot be replaced as a QB. I don't know what more there is to say about him. He sort of struggled during the first half of the season and then had an amazing stretch of football through the eight game winning streak. I think I could nit pick Rodgers on holding the ball too long, but I am not going to do that.
    Position on the 2017 roster: Concrete

Brett Hundley **: There isn't enough film on him, even the preseason when he was hurt for the majority of it. He is athletic and has a decent arm, but there are a lot of questions whether or not he could run an offense if Rodgers would be lost due to injury.
    Position on the 2017 roster: Solid

RBs
    Ty Montgomery ****: I am not sure you could ask a young player to do more in a season. He came into the season as an injury concern missing most of 2015 with a severe lower leg injury. He was the 4th receiver in camp and to start the season. He played a bit out of the backfield as package to put 5 receivers on the field. When Lacy and Starks both went down to injury Montgomery stepped into the role as an every down back and performed better than expected for the rest of the season. For the 2017 season I will be surprised if he is the every down back heading into camp. He offers a lot of flexibility but I would like to see him part of a combination package in the backfield. If the Packers head into the 2017 season with Montgomery and a bunch of street free agents in the backfield they will continue to struggle running the football.

Eddie Lacy *: :Lacy was off to his best season as a Packer. Much was made about his increase weight and in 2016 he seemed to manage it better and come into camp in better shape. A Healthy and in shape Eddie Lacy looked to carry the rushing load for the Packers especially in the first 3 games of the season. He injured in ankle in week 4 of the season and then came back against Dallas. The Ankle was tightly taped and even though Lacy was injured he broke several runs against Dallas in the first half before the ankle gave way and Lacy was lost for the entire season. The Packers need a healthy Eddie Lacy. Unfortunately Lacy comes with a lot of concerns especially going into free agency. I think his interest will be luke warm by some teams but running backs do not hold a ton of value in the NFL. The Packers could reinvest in Lacy, but that comes with a lot of hope and luck that he will be healthy and manage his waist line.
    Position on the 2017 roster: 50/50

James Starks .5*: James Starks never got going in 2016. Starks is a favorite of McCarthy but his running style fell apart as he struggled through significant injuries. Coming into the season he was supposed to be the one two punch with Lacy and he never managed to solidify his position on the field due to injury.
    Position on the 2017 roster: Gone

Christine Micheal *: This guy is a super talented athlete but a pretty mediocre football player. He lacks football intelligence and field awarness. He struggled to learn the offense and show patients carrying the football. He was a liability during passing downs and had to be told just about on every play where to line up. It was a good move at the time for Thompson to pick him up but he didn't make much of his opportunity in Green Bay.

Aaron Ripkowski **: Ripkowski had a solid season in 2016 replacing fan favorite and Packer legend John Kuhn. He fielded a very similar role to Kuhn as a fill in back on short yardage and a shield for Rodgers in the backfield on passing downs. He had a very forgettable NFC Championship game, but he has some skills and talent to hold onto his roster spot and playing time in 2017.

Joe Kerrige *: I guess I would have to look at the film from the 2016 season to see if he played any offensive snaps but whatever he did was not memorable. He held a roster spot for his contributions to the special teams. He did not compete with Ripkowski for playing time in the backfield.

Wide Receivers
    Jordy Nelson *****: He was the NFL Comeback Player of the Year. He led the NFL in receiving touchdowns with 14. He did start off slow but as he built confidence in his rebuilt knee he started to show the burst to find the holes in the defense and work the sideline. He is Rodgers safety blanket and when he is playing full speed he has an incredible connection with Rodgers.

Devante Adams ****: Adams took a lot of the blame for the lack of production by the offense in 2015. Some even thought that he would be passed on the depth chart by the like of Jeff Janis. Adams showed up in a big way in 2016. He was second on the team in catches, yards, and touchdowns. He has sealed his spot on the depth chart as the second receiver in GB and will look to improve on his 2016 season.

Randall Cobb **: There was a significant lack of production from Randall Cobb this season. Considering that the Packers had Nelson back which allowed Cobb to work in the slot and attack the middle of the field his 10.1 yard per catch and 4 touchdowns were hardly the production the Packers were counting on for the 2016 season from Cobb. He did come up clutch against the Giants and Cowboys when Nelson was out with injury in the playoffs and Cobb did show is value, but he is due TEN MILLION in 2017 and that is a heft sum to pay a slot receiver with his 2016 production.
    Position on the 2017 roster: [B]50/50/B]

Geronimo Allen **: He was quite the find by Thompson. As an undrafted rookie whose forty time was that of tree sap in January he was able to contribute to the Packers late in the season by grabbing 12 passes in the regular season. Allen has size and good hands and he should solidify the 4th receiver spot heading into camp. Allen is better than Janis and Trevor Davis but his late season contributions could just be the product of the offense and Aaron Rodgers. For the Packers to be completely sold on him might be a mistake and if a receiver is available in the draft it would be silly to pass him up based on the small glimpse they have seen on Allen.

Trevor Davis *: He played a bit against the Falcons in the regular season and in the playoffs. He simply wasn't ready yet to contribute in 2016 and kept his roster spot due to his 5th round selection in the 2016 draft. I would not say that his roster spot is guaranteed by any means in 2017.

Jeff Janis *: Janis broke a finger early in camp and missed some valuable reps in practice. He secured his spot on the roster because of his play on special teams. He provided next to nothing as a wide receiver, and will have to fight for a roster spot due to his inconsistencies in route running and securing the knowledge of the offense.

Tight End
    Jared Cook **: Once Cook recovered from an ankle injury he demonstrated his ability to stretch the field as a tight end. The Packers went back in the playbook and used him out wide several times a game to take advantage of the mismatches his size and speed created. He averaged his career stats in Green Bay, so he didn't get any better or worse during his time in GB. He is a free agent in 2017 and although he was able to demonstrate his skill set late in the season it will be difficult decision to sign him to a long term deal or to let him walk. There will be interest around the league for him. It might be easier to sign him than to look in the draft for a player of his caliber.

Richard Rodgers **: Rodgers isn't anything special. He doesn't do anything better than average. He caught 30 balls this season for 2 touchdowns. The tight end position accounted for 3 touchdowns total. More production in the red zone is necessary for the tight end position. Rodgers did his best by losing some weight but it really didn't translate to the field. The Packers could keep him to keep the position solid or they could cut him, especially if Cook resigns.

Linemen
    David Bakhtiari ***: Bakhtiari is talented pass blocker and when healthy he has really good feet and slide into position really nice against aggressive pass rushers. He could improve in the area of run blocking but the Packers are not paying him 12 million per year to run block.

Lane Taylor **: I think his play was adequate throughout the year. It was a good move to insert him into the starting lineup and save money on the cap. He isn't going to be the best guard to ever play the game but he will continue to improve in 2017. He is a bit sluggish at times and struggles to get to the second level in the run game. He needs to improve on blitz pickup and communication in the passing game, otherwise he has a good set and keeps the pocket relatively clean.

Corey Linsley **: I prefer the Packers offense when JC Tretter is the starter at center. Tretter is more athletic and it shows in the run game. Linsley is more a muscle head than an athlete and although Tretter is better, Linsley is solid. Like Taylor he could improve on blitz recognition, especially late in the season.

JC Tretter **: Tretter was separating himself from Linsley in the beginning of the season until he injured his knee and was lost for the season. Tretter can move and has really good feet in the zone read running scheme the Packers rely on. Hopefully he comes back healthy and can compete for the Center position.

TJ Lange **: I thought his play dipped this season. He is constantly dealing with lower leg injuries and unfortunately it is bringing down his level of play. He is a total pro playing injured and has that old school mentality. He shows strong leadership on the field and in the locker room. He re-injured his foot against Atlanta and will have to rehab. This might cut into his interest in the free agent market. Sitton got 10 million guaranteed to play with the Bears. They were desperate but it sets the bar for Lang.

Don Barclay **: Barclay found a home as the backup at both guard positions and center. He is better in the interior than at tackle. He is not an ideal fit as a long term starter but he can manage for a game or two.

Jason Spriggs **: Like most young offensive linemen the Packers ask them to play or know almost all of the position along the offensive line. Spriggs is a prototypical tackle in the NFL
    but the Packers had him play guard as well. At times he struggled with the speed in the pro game and struggled to transition from college to the NFL. He does show some promise and has some athletic ability that will eventually allow him to compete for the right tackle position. I don't think it will be in 2017, but the Packers could make Bulaga a salary cap sacrifice.

Kyle Murphy *: Not sure but I don't think the Packers added him to the active roster against Atlanta because Letroy Guion had to play offensive line at the end of the game. I am sure if he was available he would have played instead. I liked him as a late pick coming out of Stanford, he has some size and a little bit of athleticism but right now he is nothing special. He struggled at times in the preseason taking on edge rushers. He might need some time to develop. Whether the Packers provide him the time is another matter.

Bryan Bulaga ***: Bulaga turned in another solid season. One that saw him stay basically injury free. As long as he can stay on the field Bulaga can be considered one of the better right tackles in the league. He will be pushed by Spriggs in 2017 and if the Packers feel that Spriggs has made up enough ground on Bulaga the Packers could part ways with him and start the younger player and save roughly 6 million in cap space.

Defense

Outside Linebacker
    Clay Matthews *: I get that he was injured. When hasn't he been injured? Matthews is simply a one trick pony, his pass rush can be effective against the lesser tackles in the league against average tackles he can be blocked one on one and usually nullified. He is a below average tackler, and misses far too many. He played in 12 games this season and had a total of 24 tackles and 5 sacks. With his 13.2 million dollar salary the Packers could look to spend that money some where else because they are losing money on Clay Matthews. If the Packers keep Matthews on this 2017 roster you can expect another similar season from Matthews, he is already past his prime and is turning into a liability on defense.

Nick Perry ***: Perry stepped up in a contract year and he will be payed because of it. He had a much better pass rush this year than in years past. He didn't seem as tentative and cut the edge very well. He is much better against the run than Matthews, even with one hand. I would think the Packers will pay him, but he could walk.

Julius Peppers **: Julius Peppers is a total pro. He played more plays than what he was expecting this year and it doesn't take a Ron Wolf to notice that Peppers has lost more than a step. Peppers was still capable of a game changing play every so often, and he was sturdy against the run, but his time in Green Bay should be officially over. I can't see how the Packers could continue to pay him for his product on the field. Let him sign his one day deal with Carolina and let him retire to the Hall of Fame.

Datone Jones *: Two stars might be a little high for him. He is tweener and it shows. He plays the run about average to little above average. In 15 games he recorded 1 sack. The production just isn't there for him. He is depth as a dime rusher, and as an outside linebacker on 1st down, but to rely on him for the 2017 as a key contributor is asking too much.

Jayrone Elliot *: I just haven't seen it with him. When he is healthy and can stay on the field he is a contributor to special teams and a reserve on defense. He was signed as a project, but it hasn't developed and there is no time table for the project to be complete. He makes the team in 2017 if the Packers cut others and keep him for depth.

Kyle Frackrell **: in limited time this season he was able to grab two sacks, and 9 tackles. I admit I wasn't a big fan coming out of the draft but he showed a little bit and might be ready to step into a larger role in 2017. He has to get stronger and continue to slow the game down by watching film and getting his reps in camp.

Inside Linebackers
    Jake Ryan **: He is going to be ok in the middle. he has average athleticism but he is relatively smart and takes decent angles to the ball carrier. He needs to read play action better, but when the Packers struggle to stop the run he has to commit to the run first. Several times over the past few weeks he left the middle open on passing plays because of his reaction to the play action. Ryan needs to add more muscle. He isn't going to ever gain that quick twitch to make him a threat shooting gaps or blitzing so he should add weight and fill gaps in the run game.

Blake Martinez **: Unfortunately injuries took a toll and took the wind out of this young players rookie season. Much like Ryan he is going to struggle a bit because he is not overly big, quick, or fast. He is smart and he does have some instincts. The Packers will need for him to put on some bulk for the 2017 season. He was undersized even as a nickle linebacker.

Joe Thomas **: What you see is what you get. He can contribute when he isn't expected to play every down. He eventually wore down when Martinez and Ryan suffered injury. He is decent in coverage but is not extraordinary, if he shoots the gaps he can be effective in the run game but can also get taken out of the play. He does not have the size to take on blocks. Morgan Burnett was more of a factor in the run game than Thomas.

Safeties
    Morgan Burnett ***: His contribution in the run game was vital when the Packers were without their two starting inside linebackers. Burnett is one of the few cornerstones of this defense and is vital to the overall success of the defense going forward. He is a solid tackler, the best on the team and he plays the slot in the dime defense. He does have to stay healthy and try to alter his routine to stay away from those nagging injuries because the Packers cannot afford to have him on the sideline.

HA-HA Clinton-Dix ***: Dix is turning his talents into skill and has developed into one of the unquestioned leaders of the defense. He played in all 19 games which shows consistency and an effort to stay healthy. He rarely comes off the field and can play deep center field or close to the line of scrimmage. He led the team in interceptions and was second to Burnett in tackles. He did his best to cover for a young secondary but as a whole they will have some issues to take care of in 2017.

Micah Hyde **: He is an intelligent football player that has played 5 years not because of his athleticism but because of the way he understands the game. He is better near the line of scrimmage and will struggle in man to man coverage or 1/3rd zone. He benefited from the dropped passes against the Giants, and although he made some big plays against Dallas, he failed to provide help in underneath coverage on two Dallas touchdown passes and left his corners hung out to dry. I see the Packers letting him walk and moving Demarious Randall into his role of a "do everything" defensive back.

Kentrell Brice **: Brice showed some promise when he saw the field due to injury. He saw most of his time as a special teams player and he has plus value as a gunner and on the kick off team. He could very easily make the roster next season as a reserve defensive back and complete for time in the dime or even nickle defense.

Marwin Evans *: Saw very little time in the secondary but was active for all 16 regular season games. He fought his way on the 53 man roster after signing a free agent deal after the draft.

Cornerbacks
    Sam Shields *: Sam Shields should give up football. I don't expect the Packers will want to bring him back as they have been very cautious in the past with neck injuries and head injuries. It was unfortunate and his loss was felt in just about every game this season. He was a legitimate shut down corner in the NFL. The Packers were sort of left behind the 8 ball with his injury as they were hoping that they could slowly build their young secondary around him. Instead the young corners were thrown to the wolves where they suffered physically and mentally all season long.

Demarious Randall *: This was certainly a season that he and the rest of the Packers would like to have back. With Shields going out early in the season Randall was left as the team's number one cornerback. He suffered through a groin injury early in the season and then had to have surgery to fix the issue. He came back in week 12 and did not play with the same confidence that had as a rookie. He has a solid skill set as a cover man and a tackler and the Packers might be better suited using him similarly as to the way they used Micah Hyde.

Quinten Rollins **: Similar to Randall, Rollins struggled to stay on the field but managed to play 13 regular season games, but was lost in the playoffs after a neck and head injury. He can develop into a solid cover corner but he is still raw and it will take time and health for him to improve.

LaDarius Gunter ***: As Rollins and Randall struggled in their second years, Gunter had what some might call a break out. Originally undrafted last season Gunter demonstrated skills and talent as a cover corner. By the half way point in the season Gunter would line up across from the opposing team's best receiver. Although he may have struggled at times, he seemed to grow into the role. He will be a key contributor in taking over the role and position of Sam Shields in 2017

Josh Hawkins *: He was signed to the Practie Squad and then asked to switch from receiver to defensive back. He is a player in transition and when injuries occurred he was asked to step. He was over his head but you can feel that he has the ability to make the transition and compete next season for a roster spot in the secondary.

Defensive Line
    Mike Daniels ***: Mike Daniels is a really good football player, but he unfortunately he is on the field for too many snaps per game and gets worn down by halftime. He is the product of a really shallow defensive line. His numbers are decent for a defensive lineman in a 3-4 defense, but are not eye popping. He seems to be the glue that holds the front seven together. He does a good job of fighting off blocks and making tackles, and he hustles to the ball making tackles down the field. Hopefully the Packers can continue to build the defensive line so that Daniels can play less, and become more productive late in games.

Kenny Clark **: Like most rookie defensive linemen he needs time to grow into the position. He had some flashes this season and started to do better at the point of attack, but he certainly never jumped out as a dominant player at his position. He has to come off blocks quicker and hold his responsibilities longer. I would like to see him apprentice under Daniels as I think Clark could benefit. He will start at an End spot in 2017 due to the current lack of depth on the defensive line.

Letroy Guion **: Lack of depth also depleted Guion late in games and he became a nonfactor. He record zero sacks, granted he is usually subbed for in the dime defense, but he lacks an up the field burst. Guion will be back, but I wouldn't expect much more than what he gave you this past season.

Dean Lowry *: Lowry played in 15 games this season and managed to record 2 sacks. He has good motor and will play to the whistle. He doesn't give up on plays. Unfortunately his physical tools don't match up with his attitude. I am sure he will work hard in the off season building skills and lifting weights but I don't know how much more this guy can give you. I see him as nothing more than a rotation guy, and if his pass rush improves he could be fit as a dime rusher.

Christian Ringo *: Nonfactor, he should get less than a star. He should be invited to camp, but if the Packers improve the personnel along the defensive line he will not make an active roster.

Special Teams

Mason Crosby ***: He is a fine kicker, one of the leagues best and demonstrating clutch kicking in the Dallas playoff game was the high point of the Packers' season. He will be back in 2017.

Jacob Schum **: He struggled early in the year and then seemed to turn a corner after the bye week. I think he will come to camp, but there will be competition.

Brett Goode **: you did good.

Packer Needs:
    Offense:

Quarterback: The Packers only need is to bring a camp body or two to possibly compete for a third string job. I can't expect the front office to spend a draft pick on a QB.

Running Back: The packers have no depth at this position and even though Montgomery seemed to break out half way through the season the Packers have to address this position either in the draft or free agency. The Packers could roll the dice on Eddie Lacy and hope that his ankle and his gut are in shape. If the Packers do sign Lacy that doesn't resolve all the problems, He is an injury concern and with Montgomery they only have two legitimate backs. They need to consider drafting a running back with a high draft grade.

Tight End : The Packers could easily sign Cook and keep Rodgers and have no need. IF they let Cook go to free agency then the Packers will need to upgrade the position. They could look to take a tight end in the first several round of the draft. Without Cook there is definitely a need to be filled.

Wide Receiver : Currently the Packers return all 6 of the receivers on the roster. They could look to improve the depth especially if Cobb becomes a casualty of the cap. I don't expect the Packers to look towards free agency to fill a roster spot but there would be no surprises if they chose to look high in the draft for receiver.

Offensive Line: Tretter, Lang, and Barclay are all free agents. Depth would be an issue if they let all three walk. I think the Packers make a serious offer to Tretter, Barclay and even Lang. Rodgers made a request that the offensive line stays together so lets see how much power Rodgers has with Thompson when it comes to TJ Lang. Packers will lose some of these guys to free agency, and will likely not replace using free agency so that means looking late on day 2 or day 3 in the draft. Packers will have enough top end talent to make a starting lineup, but injuries always play a toll.

Defense

Defensive Line: There is a need here considering Mike Pennel was released after his second drug suspension. The Packers had a rotation of 3 guys during the playoffs. The Packer rely heavily on the nickle defense which requires only two defensive linemen, but depth is very light and Daniels cannot continue to play 75 snaps a game. Thompson continues to spend high picks on defensive linemen and only Kenny Clark seems to show promise. Datone Jones was moved to the rush end in the dime defense otherwise he rotates as an outside linebacker.

Outside Linebacker: Julius Peppers, Jones and Nick Perry are free agents, and Matthews has a ridiculous cap number for his production. The Packers on paper could lose their top 4 OLBs in 2016. I am sure that Peppers will retire, and they could keep Matthews, and Perry will be a priority for them. Personally Perry will get more than he deserves in free agency and the Packers are better off finding a different solution than over paying for Perry. The Packers have need here and they need to address it. The draft is always the first option and then to the street free agents. Yippee!!!

Inside Linebacker: The Packers continue to express little interest in finding legitimate play makers for the middle of their defense. They are content with what they have. I could see a draft pick spent on a nickle or dime linebacker or for depth but I can't see them making waves by drafting high or going the free agent route.

Cornerbacks: The Packers have 3 young corners that have all played significant downs. All three seem talented enough to play in the NFL at a high level. Without Shields the Packers lack a true number one corner. Personally, Randall would be better in the slot then out on the edge, and Hyde is free agent. It would not be silly for the Packers to look at taking a Corner in the first or second round of the draft.

Safeties: The starting jobs are a lock with Dix and Burnett. Brice demonstrated that he can play a little. The Packers could look to upgrade depth especially if Hyde his signed away from the Packers.

Specialist: Packers need to bring in some competition for Schum, and resign Goode.

I like a lot of it! I think Randall when healthy and playing aggressively is an outside cover corner and Rollins is an inside player, but other than that, good stuff. Packers aren't bad, but the defense is. TT needs to upgrade.

goode isn't going anywhere. the guy didn't screw up any snaps and LS always play for the vet minimum

that one to me is the easiest one to predict

CutlerquitRat HOFer
    TT needs to sign an ILB that can start in the NFL, don't care if he is a backup but a guy that can play downs when our guys get nicked up. There needs to be a minimum of 2 CBs signed, no kidding we need to sign a legit #1 CB there is not one on the roster right now, I would be hard pressed to find a #2 CB but maybe we can salvage one if we have a top flight corner signed or drafted and by drafted trade up for an elite prospect. RB needs to be addressed either in the 2nd round or in FA. Not a huge fan of a UFA RB they seems to break more than contribute.
    Swede: My expertise in this area is extensive. The essential difference between a "battleship" and an "aircraft carrier" is that an aircraft carrier requires five direct hits to sink, but it takes only four direct hits to sink a battleship.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Oday View Post
    TT needs to sign an ILB that can start in the NFL, don't care if he is a backup but a guy that can play downs when our guys get nicked up. There needs to be a minimum of 2 CBs signed, no kidding we need to sign a legit #1 CB there is not one on the roster right now, I would be hard pressed to find a #2 CB but maybe we can salvage one if we have a top flight corner signed or drafted and by drafted trade up for an elite prospect. RB needs to be addressed either in the 2nd round or in FA. Not a huge fan of a UFA RB they seems to break more than contribute.
    Unfortunately, as Red has posted, this is a poor year for free agent CBs. Getting a #1 will be a lot harder than the last time we had this problem and picked up Charles Woodson. The draft rarely gives #1 CBs in their rookie year due to the long development time. I hope one of the CBs on the present roster makes gigantic (Adams like) strides in the offseason.

Trading up for a CB who has can't miss potential would probably cost us a #2 and a #3 or more from our 29th position in the draft. Not going to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Deputy Nutz View Post
    Tough Loss yesterday, and for all of you that believe I hold hate in my heart for your beloved Packers I have let all of that go, so see it as perspective of someone with a level head this morning and take it for what it's worth, and as always lets discuss.

Overview: More than a few of the Packer faithful are quite upset this morning based on the morning drive into work listening to good old sports talk radio. The Packers set out to win a Super Bowl in the beginning of week 1 in the NFL, and that goal was not met, but considering this team was at 4-6 at week 11 in the season and left for dead by many, making it to the NFC Championship game was no small feat. The Packers have to find some way of staying healthy during the season and having their roster healthy at the end of the season. That might mean some huge personnel decisions in the next few months. The Packer really have to make some hard decisions on key players. I don't think a whole lot of coaches will be fired, Dom Capers might decide to hang up his whistle and that's not a good thing or a bad thing, it is what it is.

Player rankings are based off of the 2016 season. 1 - 5 stars

Offensive Roster

QBs
    Aaron Rodgers *****: Rodgers demonstrated once again that he is one of the great QBs of the 21st century. Rodgers cannot be replaced as a QB. I don't know what more there is to say about him. He sort of struggled during the first half of the season and then had an amazing stretch of football through the eight game winning streak. I think I could nit pick Rodgers on holding the ball too long, but I am not going to do that.

Brett Hundley **: There isn't enough film on him, even the preseason when he was hurt for the majority of it. He is athletic and has a decent arm, but there are a lot of questions whether or not he could run an offense if Rodgers would be lost due to injury.

RBs
    Ty Montgomery ****: I am not sure you could ask a young player to do more in a season. He came into the season as an injury concern missing most of 2015 with a severe lower leg injury. He was the 4th receiver in camp and to start the season. He played a bit out of the backfield as package to put 5 receivers on the field. When Lacy and Starks both went down to injury Montgomery stepped into the role as an every down back and performed better than expected for the rest of the season. For the 2017 season I will be surprised if he is the every down back heading into camp. He offers a lot of flexibility but I would like to see him part of a combination package in the backfield. If the Packers head into the 2017 season with Montgomery and a bunch of street free agents in the backfield they will continue to struggle running the football.

Eddie Lacy *: :Lacy was off to his best season as a Packer. Much was made about his increase weight and in 2016 he seemed to manage it better and come into camp in better shape. A Healthy and in shape Eddie Lacy looked to carry the rushing load for the Packers especially in the first 3 games of the season. He injured in ankle in week 4 of the season and then came back against Dallas. The Ankle was tightly taped and even though Lacy was injured he broke several runs against Dallas in the first half before the ankle gave way and Lacy was lost for the entire season. The Packers need a healthy Eddie Lacy. Unfortunately Lacy comes with a lot of concerns especially going into free agency. I think his interest will be luke warm by some teams but running backs do not hold a ton of value in the NFL. The Packers could reinvest in Lacy, but that comes with a lot of hope and luck that he will be healthy and manage his waist line.

James Starks .5*: James Starks never got going in 2016. Starks is a favorite of McCarthy but his running style fell apart as he struggled through significant injuries. Coming into the season he was supposed to be the one two punch with Lacy and he never managed to solidify his position on the field due to injury.

Christine Micheal *: This guy is a super talented athlete but a pretty mediocre football player. He lacks football intelligence and field awarness. He struggled to learn the offense and show patients carrying the football. He was a liability during passing downs and had to be told just about on every play where to line up. It was a good move at the time for Thompson to pick him up but he didn't make much of his opportunity in Green Bay.

Aaron Ripkowski **: Ripkowski had a solid season in 2016 replacing fan favorite and Packer legend John Kuhn. He fielded a very similar role to Kuhn as a fill in back on short yardage and a shield for Rodgers in the backfield on passing downs. He had a very forgettable NFC Championship game, but he has some skills and talent to hold onto his roster spot and playing time in 2017.

Joe Kerrige *: I guess I would have to look at the film from the 2016 season to see if he played any offensive snaps but whatever he did was not memorable. He held a roster spot for his contributions to the special teams. He did not compete with Ripkowski for playing time in the backfield.

Wide Receivers
    Jordy Nelson *****: He was the NFL Comeback Player of the Year. He led the NFL in receiving touchdowns with 14. He did start off slow but as he built confidence in his rebuilt knee he started to show the burst to find the holes in the defense and work the sideline. He is Rodgers safety blanket and when he is playing full speed he has an incredible connection with Rodgers.

Devante Adams ****: Adams took a lot of the blame for the lack of production by the offense in 2015. Some even thought that he would be passed on the depth chart by the like of Jeff Janis. Adams showed up in a big way in 2016. He was second on the team in catches, yards, and touchdowns. He has sealed his spot on the depth chart as the second receiver in GB and will look to improve on his 2016 season.

Randall Cobb **: There was a significant lack of production from Randall Cobb this season. Considering that the Packers had Nelson back which allowed Cobb to work in the slot and attack the middle of the field his 10.1 yard per catch and 4 touchdowns were hardly the production the Packers were counting on for the 2016 season from Cobb. He did come up clutch against the Giants and Cowboys when Nelson was out with injury in the playoffs and Cobb did show is value, but he is due TEN MILLION in 2017 and that is a heft sum to pay a slot receiver with his 2016 production.
    Position on the 2017 roster: [B]50/50/B]

Geronimo Allen **: He was quite the find by Thompson. As an undrafted rookie whose forty time was that of tree sap in January he was able to contribute to the Packers late in the season by grabbing 12 passes in the regular season. Allen has size and good hands and he should solidify the 4th receiver spot heading into camp. Allen is better than Janis and Trevor Davis but his late season contributions could just be the product of the offense and Aaron Rodgers. For the Packers to be completely sold on him might be a mistake and if a receiver is available in the draft it would be silly to pass him up based on the small glimpse they have seen on Allen.

Trevor Davis *: He played a bit against the Falcons in the regular season and in the playoffs. He simply wasn't ready yet to contribute in 2016 and kept his roster spot due to his 5th round selection in the 2016 draft. I would not say that his roster spot is guaranteed by any means in 2017.

Jeff Janis *: Janis broke a finger early in camp and missed some valuable reps in practice. He secured his spot on the roster because of his play on special teams. He provided next to nothing as a wide receiver, and will have to fight for a roster spot due to his inconsistencies in route running and securing the knowledge of the offense.
    *patience
    No longer the member of any fan clubs. I'm tired of jinxing players out of the league and into obscurity.

Kidding aside, I love the write up.

Thank you for the insight.
    No longer the member of any fan clubs. I'm tired of jinxing players out of the league and into obscurity.

Quote Originally Posted by beveaux1 View Post
    Trading up for a CB who has can't miss potential would probably cost us a #2 and a #3 or more from our 29th position in the draft. Not going to happen.
    maybe more, those big time fresh out of college stud CBs usually go in the top 10

and we could always keep our fingers crossed for a cap casualty

A.J. Bouye is the top CB on the market, he was very highly graded by PFF. (90.9)

malcom butler is a restricted free agent (90.8)

Terence Newman is #3 but is 137 years old (86.4)

#4 is Morris Claiborne (84.9)

#5 is Darius Butler (82.6)

#6 is Logan Ryan (81.9)

#7 Trumaine Johnson (81.0)

and that ranking is from PFF

for reference, pff has a rating of 73.3 for hyde on the year. lang is an 85.7

so there are some improvements

you know who would be a nice free agent pickup for our d-line?

Calais Campbell

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by red View Post
    A.J. Bouye is the top CB on the market, he was very highly graded by PFF. (90.9)

malcom butler is a restricted free agent (90.8)

Terence Newman is #3 but is 137 years old (86.4)

#4 is Morris Claiborne (84.9)

#5 is Darius Butler (82.6)

#6 is Logan Ryan (81.9)

#7 Trumaine Johnson (81.0)

and that ranking is from PFF

for reference, pff has a rating of 73.3 for hyde on the year. lang is an 85.7

so there are some improvements
    That list is missing Stephon Gilmore who in my opinion is right there with Bouye but has superior natural ability and is more physical.

Both are strong press-man corners, Gilmore is 26 and Bouye 25 so both figure to be right in the wheelhouse of their prime years. Gilmore posted a strong 4.40 40 at the combine vs. Bouye's 4.55 pro-day and Gilmore had a stellar 6.6 3-cone vs. Bouye's 7.06.

Thanks for that write-up Nutz. Good stuff. I think you're underrating Cobb, Cook, and just about the entire o-line, and overrating the young corners and safeties to some extent, but again thanks for that really thorough assessment. There's a lot to comment on there.
    Last edited by vince; 01-24-2017 at 06:24 AM.

Rob Demovsky
    ESPN Staff Writer

The Packers re-signed seven members of their practice squad to reserve/futures deals: C Jacob Flores, OLB Reggie Gilbert, WR Antwan Goodley, LB Derrick Mathews, G Lucas Patrick, DT Brian Price and S Jermaine Whitehead. They did not immediately re-sign TE Beau Sandland or CB Bene Benwikere. The 10th member of the practice squad, WR Max McCaffrey, was promoted to the 53-man roster on Saturday.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    Rob Demovsky
    ESPN Staff Writer

The Packers re-signed seven members of their practice squad to reserve/futures deals: C Jacob Flores, OLB Reggie Gilbert, WR Antwan Goodley, LB Derrick Mathews, G Lucas Patrick, DT Brian Price and S Jermaine Whitehead. They did not immediately re-sign TE Beau Sandland or CB Bene Benwikere. The 10th member of the practice squad, WR Max McCaffrey, was promoted to the 53-man roster on Saturday.
    Gilbert and Patrick had promising camps as I recall and Price would seem to have a good shot at making the roster next year with a productive offseason.

Oracle Rat HOFer Cheesehead Craig's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by vince View Post
    That list is missing Stephon Gilmore who in my opinion is right there with Bouye but has superior natural ability and is more physical.

Both are strong press-man corners, Gilmore is 26 and Bouye 25 so both figure to be right in the wheelhouse of their prime years. Gilmore posted a strong 4.40 40 at the combine vs. Bouye's 4.55 pro-day and Gilmore had a stellar 6.6 3-cone vs. Bouye's 7.06.

Thanks for that write-up Nutz. Good stuff. I think you're underrating Cobb, Cook, and just about the entire o-line, and overrating the young corners and safeties to some extent, but again thanks for that really thorough assessment. There's a lot to comment on there.
    The top 2 guys are going to cost 10-12M/yr. That's a lot of $$. I'd be happy with 2 guys who are 6m/yr and won't mess up their coverage.
    All hail the Ruler of the Meadow!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheesehead Craig View Post
    The top 2 guys are going to cost 10-12M/yr. That's a lot of $$. I'd be happy with 2 guys who are 6m/yr and won't mess up their coverage.
    I'd be for swapping out Shields' salary for one of those guys. It's a huge need. Then hit on a corner early in the draft and the position could be a big strength.

With the depth of the draft at the position and the depth of promising but thoroughly unproven guys already in place, I don't see a spot for a mid-tier FA. And when you look at the list of available corners, I'm not seeing many who fit that bill that aren't already on the downside, though I freely admit I'm no expert on them.

EDIT: Prince Amukamara maybe. A lot of these guys hitting the market lack top-end speed and/or agility, which I'd be concerned about. Perhaps the depth in the draft will push some of the free agent demand down a bit.
    Last edited by vince; 01-24-2017 at 08:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Deputy Nutz View Post
    Why is it his job to show other people, much less those undergoing medical treatment, how to carry a football?
    "You're all very smart, and I'm very dumb." - Partial