Page 30 of 33 FirstFirst ... 20 28 29 30 31 32 ... LastLast

Thread: Packers' Off Season Moves and 2017 Roster

To be fair, some years the Browns are actually a reasonable roster *sans* the QB. Think Brady couldn't win 10 or 11 games with the 2014 Browns? I bet he could. Rodgers, too.

Quote Originally Posted by wist43 View Post
    Not too far off...

Rodgers goes down and we stumble to a 2-5-1 record; Brady is suspended for the Pats, and they go 3-1 and look good doing it.

Without Rodgers, the Packers are very much a sub .500 team.
    Spot on, and I have been saying it for a long time as well. Rodgers makes TT and stubby look great, not anything they do on their own. Sure TT drafted Rodgers, but every draft pick has a degree of luck involved, be it good luck or bad.

Quote Originally Posted by smuggler View Post
    To be fair, some years the Browns are actually a reasonable roster *sans* the QB. Think Brady couldn't win 10 or 11 games with the 2014 Browns? I bet he could. Rodgers, too.
    No way Brady wins 10 games with the 2016 browns. 2014 for sure, had a decent defence and run game.

Just saying, the 2014 Browns were sub-500, but were a good QB away from a playoff team and possible SB contender (considering they play in the AFC).

Quote Originally Posted by wist43 View Post
    Not too far off...

Rodgers goes down and we stumble to a 2-5-1 record; Brady is suspended for the Pats, and they go 3-1 and look good doing it.

Without Rodgers, the Packers are very much a sub .500 team.
    Roster composition or backup QB issue?

More impressed by NE year with Cassel as starter than last year's 3-1. Cassel could not hold another starting QB job.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by texaspackerbacker View Post
    Given the personnel that Ted has provided us, that "same piece of shit scheme" put forth by Capers is the only thing keeping the Packers D from being "dismal and embarrassing".
    Its hard to make chicken salad out of chicken shit.

It's not hard, but it doesn't taste very good.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Ted Thompson acknowledged this much about the Packers' running back situation. "We need some more guys," the GM told reporters at the NFL annual meetings on Monday. "We're a little short in a couple of areas. So from a personnel standpoint, we've got to get some more bodies. But we like the guys that we have, it's just that we'd like to get some more."

Rob Demovsky, ESPN Staff Writer

http://www.espn.com/espn/now?nowId=2...919951404268-4
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

That's exactly the damn problem. Ted thinks we just need more of what we have - a few more bodies. What we need is a couple of star quality players. We have plenty of journeymen.
    What could be more GOOD and NORMAL and AMERICAN than Packer Football?

Quote Originally Posted by texaspackerbacker View Post
    That's exactly the damn problem. Ted thinks we just need more of what we have - a few more bodies. What we need is a couple of star quality players. We have plenty of journeymen.
    this!

Ted is always happy to throw shit at the wall and hope some of it sticks.

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    It's not hard, but it doesn't taste very good.

Two from Wilde.

http://host.madison.com/wsj/sports/f...549dc7a37.html

I think Pugger mentioned this news earlier, but here is a writeup of McCarthy saying that Bulaga and Spriggs are staying at tackle. He likes Bennett's personality and thinks he will be a good fit. He was surprised to see Lang go. Its clear the guaranteed money sold him on the Lions.

http://host.madison.com/wsj/sports/f...c4f9416de.html

Ted covered here, Wilde's read is that Packers would have kept Lang and Hyde but not at price offered by new teams. Thompson also says might not be done. Its clear they did not expect to lose Lang, the Lions contract was a surprise they weren't willing to match.

Rat-A-Tat-Tat Veteran BZnDallas's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    Two from Wilde.

http://host.madison.com/wsj/sports/f...549dc7a37.html

I think Pugger mentioned this news earlier, but here is a writeup of McCarthy saying that Bulaga and Spriggs are staying at tackle. He likes Bennett's personality and thinks he will be a good fit. He was surprised to see Lang go. Its clear the guaranteed money sold him on the Lions.

http://host.madison.com/wsj/sports/f...c4f9416de.html

Ted covered here, Wilde's read is that Packers would have kept Lang and Hyde but not at price offered by new teams. Thompson also says might not be done. Its clear they did not expect to lose Lang, the Lions contract was a surprise they weren't willing to match.
    Not to beat a dead horse here or anything but this is why I can see TT go Guard early. If he's just not sold on the current roster being able to fill Lang's shoes I can see Lamp, if Teds top couple of tiers are picked over.
    Now what y'all know about dem Texas boys
    Comin' down in candied toys, smokin' weed and talkin' noise!!!

Could be.

Meanwhile, the new TE might be worth the price of his guarantee if only to impart these great questions to all his Offensive teammates.

Just an update

We still have about 23 million in cap space

Rat-A-Tat-Tat Veteran BZnDallas's Avatar
    Read somewhere they may rollover $10 mil to help in Aarons renegotiation. Then there's what $5-$6 mil for the rookies and a couple mil left over for emergencies and it looks like we have enough to bring in a vet RB if we don't draft a guy, or another hole we might not be able to fill via draft.
    Now what y'all know about dem Texas boys
    Comin' down in candied toys, smokin' weed and talkin' noise!!!

Quote Originally Posted by BZnDallas View Post
    Read somewhere they may rollover $10 mil to help in Aarons renegotiation. Then there's what $5-$6 mil for the rookies and a couple mil left over for emergencies and it looks like we have enough to bring in a vet RB if we don't draft a guy, or another hole we might not be able to fill via draft.
    We don't need 5 or 6 for rookies. We need 1.5-2

I've corrected this already in another thread

And we aren't gonna need to redo a-rods contract if we keep Barry sandering him

Quote Originally Posted by red View Post
    We don't need 5 or 6 for rookies. We need 1.5-2

I've corrected this already in another thread
    You're right red. Can't remember where in the heck I saw it now but I think the article I read said that our rookie cap hit should be about $2 or $2.1 mil. this year. As you mentioned, we still currently have over $20 mil. to play with.