Page 26 of 33 FirstFirst ... 16 24 25 26 27 28 ... LastLast

Thread: Packers' Off Season Moves and 2017 Roster

Quote Originally Posted by Deputy Nutz View Post
    The Packers have money to spend. When you let your free agents go and leave money left over you bet that guys like Rodgers are then looking to get a cpntract upgrade especially if you are not spending it on the players that are going to make a run to the Super Bowl a little bit easier. I would think that having Lang at guard verse Spriggs or Barclay would give the Packer more protection for Rodgers, and sustain the running game. I might be wrong, but cutting Josh Sitton opened the door to Lane Taylor who statistically was the worst out of the five starting linemen. He was covered up because the other 4 of them were pretty good. I am sure that Taylor will be a bit better this upcoming season but now the Packers have to take the hit on introducing a new full time starter to the offensive line.

I agree that Lang got more money than he was worth but Lang filled a need and he was let go, and now the Packers go into the draft with far too many needs for a Super Bowl contending team.
    tell me about it. this on so many levels.

Rat-A-Tat-Tat Veteran BZnDallas's Avatar
    So if you agree Lang got more than he was worth, then you find another option. If a plug and play G is drafted in Rd1 or 2 and the position is filled, then you just raised your blood pressure for no reason. Last time I checked the NFL allows different ways to improve your team in an offseason. Do you really not understand filling EVERY hole in FA doesn't work?
    Now what y'all know about dem Texas boys
    Comin' down in candied toys, smokin' weed and talkin' noise!!!

Quote Originally Posted by BZnDallas View Post
    If a plug and play G is drafted in Rd1 or 2
    if they draft a guard early they're ignoring the D that NEEDS ALL THE HELP. that would be malpractice. they had a great guard and let him go. now they're weaker there and the oline has less depth now too. way to take a step back. you can't take care of all your needs in the draft...not if your goal is to win a SB anyway.

Never said you can fix everything in the draft. Pretty sure if you reread my posts I'm talking about utilizing ALL avenues to improve this team. Some of y'all want it ALL done via FA. Once more, the good teams don't do it that way. From a fan base who is used to sitting idle during this time, you'd think there'd be a party for 3 non packer free agent signings. Has everybody forgotten about the FA period after the draft? You can make your team better then as well.

Bob McGinn‏ @BobMcGinn 6h6 hours ago
    CB Davon House's 1-yr, $2.8M deal with GBP ($850K guar) includes $850K S-bonus, $1.5M base, $300K per-game rost bonus and $150K w'out bonus.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Never said you can fix everything in the draft. Pretty sure if you reread my posts I'm talking about utilizing ALL avenues to improve this team. Some of y'all want it ALL done via FA. Once more, the good teams don't do it that way. From a fan base who is used to sitting idle during this time, you'd think there'd be a party for 3 non packer free agent signings. Has everybody forgotten about the FA period after the draft? You can make your team better then as well.
    Name one member of this forum that has said they want it all done Via FA. I nor anyone else tht I can recall has said FA ids the only way.

didn't say you did, sorry. it wasn't really directed at you. i was just addressing the guard position you mentioned. i agree that all avenues need to utilized. we weren't that far off and on D that a couple of positions could have taken care of in FA. had they been the draft could be a little more diversified but as the D wasn't addressed the draft will have to be more focused.

Aaron Wilson‏Verified account @AaronWilson_NFL 7h7 hours ago
    Packers and Browns showing interest in former Cardinals, Cal defensive back Josh Hill
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    Aaron Wilson‏Verified account @AaronWilson_NFL 7h7 hours ago
    Packers and Browns showing interest in former Cardinals, Cal defensive back Josh Hill

Is this the Josh Hill who hasn't been in the league since 2013 ??
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

Quote Originally Posted by Bretsky View Post
    Is this the Josh Hill who hasn't been in the league since 2013 ??
    http://gnb.247sports.com/Bolt/Report...-Hill-51877037

Hill signed with the Cardinals as an undrafted free agent back in 2013. However, he was cut from the team in August of that year and never signed on with another team. Hill currently works as a personal and athletic trainer in Houston and has worked with different NFL players and prospects over the years.

Quote Originally Posted by Deputy Nutz View Post
    The Packers have money to spend. When you let your free agents go and leave money left over you bet that guys like Rodgers are then looking to get a cpntract upgrade especially if you are not spending it on the players that are going to make a run to the Super Bowl a little bit easier. I would think that having Lang at guard verse Spriggs or Barclay would give the Packer more protection for Rodgers, and sustain the running game. I might be wrong, but cutting Josh Sitton opened the door to Lane Taylor who statistically was the worst out of the five starting linemen. He was covered up because the other 4 of them were pretty good. I am sure that Taylor will be a bit better this upcoming season but now the Packers have to take the hit on introducing a new full time starter to the offensive line.

I agree that Lang got more money than he was worth but Lang filled a need and he was let go, and now the Packers go into the draft with far too many needs for a Super Bowl contending team.
    I've said it before, and I'll say it again, Aaron Rodgers and his mobility make all O Linemen, past, present, and future, that have blocked for him BETTER - much better. That, and it's a helluva lot easier to be a "good" Guard than a "good" Offensive Tackle. Take Barclay (please take him hahahaha), horrible at OT but tolerable at G. My preference would be to use Bulaga at RG and to hope Spriggs plays up to the potential they say he has as a Tackle. Running less - mainly as a change of pace - also will make the O Line at least seem better with the element of surprise.

I would agree, we still have more question marks than we should on defense, but on offense, we should be even more solid than before even if there is no help from free agency or the draft.
    What could be more GOOD and NORMAL and AMERICAN than Packer Football?

I think most of the frustration comes from the fact that TT doesn't fill defensive positions of need that he and the organization have proven to be completely inept at evaluating, drafting, and developing.

The problem with this team is, and always will be, defense. Signing some competent defenders that would fill holes would go a long way toward getting us to another SB, but Ted simply won't admit that he hasn't a clue how to build a defense.
    wist

I totally get that Wist. And I bet if you polled the forum the majority would want added help on the defense too. I'm all for that, we're not advocating against that argument. But I can be mad at TT for one thing, and like him for something else he does. Nobody here has ever written (at least that I've read) that TT is perfect, or even the best GM in the league. So he's going to have deficiencies, like we agree, him building a defense. But let's give him credit for bringing House back. That's one less hole to fill, and let's them take a CB further down in the draft and hopefully focus on a plug and play Guard or Edge player earlier. The FA TE signnings mean zero or late draft picks get used on that position. And other positions move up the need portion of the draft board.

I haven't heard anyone complain about the mediocre at best ILB's lately. Is everyone just assuming that TT will never fix that problem either?

Quote Originally Posted by texaspackerbacker View Post
    I've said it before, and I'll say it again, Aaron Rodgers and his mobility make all O Linemen, past, present, and future, that have blocked for him BETTER - much better. That, and it's a helluva lot easier to be a "good" Guard than a "good" Offensive Tackle. Take Barclay (please take him hahahaha), horrible at OT but tolerable at G. My preference would be to use Bulaga at RG and to hope Spriggs plays up to the potential they say he has as a Tackle. Running less - mainly as a change of pace - also will make the O Line at least seem better with the element of surprise.

I would agree, we still have more question marks than we should on defense, but on offense, we should be even more solid than before even if there is no help from free agency or the draft.
    the Packers o-line was the number 1 pass blocking line last year according to pff. don't think they count scramble plays in their calculations/grades of o-lines. i think the o-line makes HIM better. his mobility extends plays, gives wrs extra time to get open. we've seen him with shitty lines and or wrs that can't get open. it's not pretty.

Quote Originally Posted by Rutnstrut View Post
    I haven't heard anyone complain about the mediocre at best ILB's lately. Is everyone just assuming that TT will never fix that problem either?
    haven't you heard. everything can be fixed in the draft and signing of undrafted players. just ask ted. seriously though ilb is the least of the d's problems.

Quote Originally Posted by gbgary View Post
    haven't you heard. everything can be fixed in the draft and signing of undrafted players. just ask ted. seriously though ilb is the least of the d's problems.
    Good grief. Is the sky falling too? Quit crying (Ron) wolf.
    Last edited by BZnDallas; 03-21-2017 at 05:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by wist43 View Post
    I think most of the frustration comes from the fact that TT doesn't fill defensive positions of need that he and the organization have proven to be completely inept at evaluating, drafting, and developing.

The problem with this team is, and always will be, defense. Signing some competent defenders that would fill holes would go a long way toward getting us to another SB, but Ted simply won't admit that he hasn't a clue how to build a defense.
    Just from this last draft, Kenny Clark doesn't count? From the draft before, Rollins and Randall? From before that HHCD? It seems to me that the top pick or two usually addresses a need that year or one that will be coming up soon. I for one don't lament the pick of Jordy Nelson though it wasn't a need at the time.
    No longer the member of any fan clubs. I'm tired of jinxing players out of the league and into obscurity.

Quote Originally Posted by wist43 View Post

I actually agree with this. They get guys who seem to flash a lot of potential but rarely does a guy stick long term. It's not for a lack of trying though. I don't have hard numbers, but it seems like the O draft picks pan out at a much higher rate than the D draft picks.

Quote Originally Posted by Zool View Post
    I actually agree with this. They get guys who seem to flash a lot of potential but rarely does a guy stick long term. It's not for a lack of trying though. I don't have hard numbers, but it seems like the O draft picks pan out at a much higher rate than the D draft picks.
    It does seem like his defensive picks hit less than his offensive ones. And the guys that don't like TT will tell us that's more reason to bring in defensive FAs. However that deters from the develop part of draft and develop system. And when draft and develop is your forte, it seems prohibitive to bring in those players.