Page 2 of 33 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Packers' Off Season Moves and 2017 Roster

Also his name is Geronimo Allison, not Allen, you twat.
    "You're all very smart, and I'm very dumb." - Partial

Quote Originally Posted by SkinBasket View Post
    Why is it his job to show other people, much less those undergoing medical treatment, how to carry a football?
    You're misreading as usual, it's show patients carrying the football: those people undergoing medical treatment are already toting the rock, you numbskull.

In regards to Matthews:

There are two years left on his contract.
    His 2017 salary will be $15.2M (with $4.1M in dead cap).
    His 2018 salary will be $11.4M with no dead cap money.

He will be 31 this next season. I saw on ESPN, that Matthews is one of the 4 highest paid LB's in the NFL (this came up on the Jamie Collins LB Browns, who just signed a new contract).

I think the Packers should let it ride for 2017, but all bets are off for 2018 depending on his performance (and health) this next season.

Quote Originally Posted by Teamcheez1 View Post
    In regards to Matthews:

There are two years left on his contract.
    His 2017 salary will be $15.2M (with $4.1M in dead cap).
    His 2018 salary will be $11.4M with no dead cap money.

He will be 31 this next season. I saw on ESPN, that Matthews is one of the 4 highest paid LB's in the NFL (this came up on the Jamie Collins LB Browns, who just signed a new contract).

I think the Packers should let it ride for 2017, but all bets are off for 2018 depending on his performance (and health) this next season.
    I agree. He had his moments this season and is still a dominating player if he can just stay reasonably healthy. The cap keeps going up, and given Ted's cheapness, we aren't and probably won't even come close to the upper limit. Arguably, he's the second best player on the team - still - and the only real star quality one other than Aaron Rodgers.
    What could be more GOOD and NORMAL and AMERICAN than Packer Football?

Quote Originally Posted by vince View Post
    I'd be for swapping out Shields' salary for one of those guys. It's a huge need. Then hit on a corner early in the draft and the position could be a big strength.

With the depth of the draft at the position and the depth of promising but thoroughly unproven guys already in place, I don't see a spot for a mid-tier FA. And when you look at the list of available corners, I'm not seeing many who fit that bill that aren't already on the downside, though I freely admit I'm no expert on them.

EDIT: Prince Amukamara maybe. A lot of these guys hitting the market lack top-end speed and/or agility, which I'd be concerned about. Perhaps the depth in the draft will push some of the free agent demand down a bit.
    Absolutely we should go after one of these proven cover corners. High draft picks at that position - especially for the Packers but a lot of other teams also - don't seem to correlate with getting star quality players.

Wolf Pack Rat HOFer Deputy Nutz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by texaspackerbacker View Post
    I agree. He had his moments this season and is still a dominating player if he can just stay reasonably healthy. The cap keeps going up, and given Ted's cheapness, we aren't and probably won't even come close to the upper limit. Arguably, he's the second best player on the team - still - and the only real star quality one other than Aaron Rodgers.
    He averaged 2 tackles a game and 5 sacks. If he is the second best player on the Packers roster they are in more trouble than I thought. He cannot stay reasonably healthy he has proved that throughout his career. Watch the film and stop dreaming about his hair.

Quote Originally Posted by SkinBasket View Post
    Also his name is Geronimo Allison, not Allen, you twat.
    Next time I should send it to you for editing, my mistake.

Quote Originally Posted by Deputy Nutz View Post
    He averaged 2 tackles a game and 5 sacks. If he is the second best player on the Packers roster they are in more trouble than I thought. He cannot stay reasonably healthy he has proved that throughout his career. Watch the film and stop dreaming about his hair.
    Yup, over rated very overpaid diva.

Regarding the original posts (thanks Nutz for posting them), I'd certainly keep Christine Michael. He should be fairly cheap, and we can use a one cut speed back as an alternative to Montgomery. As for his being dumb as a rock, I kinda doubt that's true. Hopefully with camp and the preseason to learn, he can seem less that way. I also have a very high opinion of Ripkowski despite the blunder last Sunday. I'd take either him or Michael over Lacy even if the cost were the same, which it wouldn't be IMO.

I'd give Cook more than two stars. He, too, should be a lot better with a full camp and preseason to get used to things. You thought T.J. Lang's play "dipped" this season? I thought he was one step above crap prior to this season, and he rose to fairly decent this year. I'd keep him if it doesn't take breaking the bank - which it shouldn't. I think they are gonna keep Cobb too. He's an excellent slot receiver when he's healthy, and I suspect Rodgers lobbies to keep him. I wouldn't be surprised if we keep all of the wideouts we have this season. Only Trevor Davis seems to be as low as 50/50. I STILL think Janis is gonna break out and be a star in this league - hopefully for the Packers.

I pretty much agree with all you posted on Defense - except maybe Randall being solid, and given Ted's tendency to favor his draft picks, I suppose he will stay. Gunter is way better than him or Rollins. I also have hope for Hawkins. A quality free agent Corner would do wonders for this team - moving everybody else down one spot. I don't suppose it would ever happen, but I'd like to see Janis get a try at Corner - if they're just gonna let him go to waste on offense anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Deputy Nutz View Post
    I attribute that to the injuries. He made several major game changing plays even in his diminished condition; He plays better ILB than anybody else who played there; If (and I agree it's a big "if") he can stay healthy, he's still damn good. Who else on the team rises far enough above mediocrity to be a star player - other than Rodgers, of course?

And I absolutely HATE faggy long hair on guys - I'll overlook it on him if he gets back to playing good enough.

I don't even think he is second best on defence. Give be Perry and Burnett over him as an OLB. If he got transition inside to mlb, perhaps he is second best on d.

Jumbo Rat HOFer
    Regarding the original posts (thanks Nutz for posting them), I'd certainly keep Christine Michael. He should be fairly cheap, and we can use a one cut speed back as an alternative to Montgomery.
    When did Michael ever as a Packer only do one cut and hit the hole? Seriously when?

The guy makes 3 cuts minimum on the same play every time.
    But Rodgers leads the league in frumpy expressions and negative body language on the sideline, which makes him, like Josh Allen, a unique double threat.

-Tim Harmston

This article and the video contained within it pretty well covers it all:

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/after-n...m_campaign=nfl

Comment woodbuck27:

I would like to see TT be more aggressive this off season to improve the Packer Defence and to ensure a better running game.

1) We need to see a change in philosophy and Free Agency and Ted Thompson's attitude to focus on Draft and Development.

2) We need to see a huge improvement in Pass Protection. This Packer team was deplorable trying to defend the pass and finishing (was it?) 31st in the NFL in that category.

Will Ted Thompson and the Packer Coaching staff really believe that the weakness at The CB position will magically be fixed with more experience? The Packers flat out need more talented CB's and to count on the likes of a LaDarius Gunter isn't acceptable.

3) The Packers need to find a better pass rush.

No team can rise to be a serious Super Bowl Contender without a solid Secondary and a good pass rush. The Green Bay Packers are sadly deficient in both of these defensive areas.

4) We need help for Aaron Rodgers and the offence in terms of a focus on improving the Running Game. Will we hear at the end of next season: Well we hoped that Eddie Lacy would produce? Packer GM Ted Thompson cannot ignore what he doesn't have in the running game. The team needs better depth at RB.

5) I thought I read that there would be more CAP money next season but we need to see Ted Thompson release anyone on the Roster that isn't producing. The " hoo hum, let's wait and see " attitude has to change. It is time to stop thinking and do ...more doing. For all that won't kill you Ted...GO FOR IT !

6) I want to see a focus on upgrade - upgrade - upgrade.
    ** Since 2006 3 X Pro Pickem' Champion; 4 X Runner-Up and 3 X 3rd place.
    ** To download Jesus Loves Me ring tones, you'll need a cell phone mame
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?
    ** Rather than love, money or fame - give me TRUTH: Henry D. Thoreau

Blog Entries
    Nutz, great post my brotha.

Ya put some great work in that baby.

Oh yeah, you and Skin, get fucked in a very friendly fashion.

All these posts point up some TOUGH off-season decisions.

Pep, Mathews, buy an FA corner (we all know what the answer will be there) TJ, Bulaga (ain't he FA too?), DLine, Lacy, etc.

I'd hate to be in the big chair on any of these tough calls, let alone the whole gamut of this.

Look forward to getting into arguments over the whole thing, Nutz.

The problem is even IF tight pockets Teddy would sign a FA corner. There just isn't much available this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Rutnstrut View Post
    The problem is even IF tight pockets Teddy would sign a FA corner. There just isn't much available this year.
    The great news is this draft is very deep with quality CBs.

Quote Originally Posted by SavedByGrace View Post
    The great news is this draft is very deep with quality CBs.
    The biggest problem with that is they take a few years to develop. Then in GB another few years to finally have a healthy season. By that time Rodgers will be retired and coming out of the closet

Quote Originally Posted by Rutnstrut View Post
    The biggest problem with that is they take a few years to develop. Then in GB another few years to finally have a healthy season. By that time Rodgers will be retired and coming out of the closet
    Not always. Shields and Hayward were quite good as rookies. Randall and Rollins were probably more in the line of developmental picks. Randall because he was making a switch from Safety to Corner. Rollins because he only played 1 year of college football.

There are free agents available at a young age, or older guys like Leon Hall available.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/cornerback/
    this a list of available free agents across the league

Desmond King from Iowa is probably the most NFL ready. He would be available in the late 1st round. He isn't the most dynamic athlete but he is proven, and a ball hawk in college.