Page 20 of 33 FirstFirst ... 10 18 19 20 21 22 30 ... LastLast

Thread: Packers' Off Season Moves and 2017 Roster

Remember when the apologist's narrative was that we had to be frugal the last few seasons because we had to keep something in the kitty to re-sign our o-line? Now in less than a year...Sitton, Lang, Tretter....all gone. Hopefully Ted will continue to add pieces on defense to make up for these losses.

Rat-A-Tat-Tat Veteran BZnDallas's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by yetisnowman View Post
    Remember when the apologist's narrative was that we had to be frugal the last few seasons because we had to keep something in the kitty to re-sign our o-line? Now in less than a year...Sitton, Lang, Tretter....all gone. Hopefully Ted will continue to add pieces on defense to make up for these losses.
    Didn't 2 tackles get new deals? Bulaga and Bahk and now Barclay? Maybe he just wants B last names? Or maybe Linsley getting some coin soon ups the difference 4-3 and TT really just uses money in the kitty to improve the team where he thinks its needed? Like Perry, Bennett, Kendrick to go along with the Oline. I think its silly to think TT is frugal so he can zero in on 1 position to improve. With arguably the best QB in football, i'd prefer to pay my tackles more money than my guards. Maybe thats an apologists way of thinking, but AR can see better in front of him, not both sides of him.
    Now what y'all know about dem Texas boys
    Comin' down in candied toys, smokin' weed and talkin' noise!!!

Quote Originally Posted by BZnDallas View Post
    Didn't 2 tackles get new deals? Bulaga and Bahk and now Barclay? Maybe he just wants B last names? Or maybe Linsley getting some coin soon ups the difference 4-3 and TT really just uses money in the kitty to improve the team where he thinks its needed? Like Perry, Bennett, Kendrick to go along with the Oline. I think its silly to think TT is frugal so he can zero in on 1 position to improve. With arguably the best QB in football, i'd prefer to pay my tackles more money than my guards. Maybe thats an apologists way of thinking, but AR can see better in front of him, not both sides of him.
    Over the last few years, re-signing guys like Lang and Sitton were major talking points for people ok with us being inactive in free agency. I'm very happy with our tackles being secure, but if this off-season ends up with us keeping Perry, trading Cook for Bennett/Kendicks and losing Lang, Tretter, Hyde, Shields, Starks, Lacy thats sort of frustrating. Now a few moves could turn all that around.

Or maybe he'll just keep drafting really good offensive linemen in the middle rounds. Sitton 4th round, Lang 4th round, Tretter 4th round, Bakhtiari 4th round, Linsley 5th round etc.

Yeah, I forgot there are only 3 paying O line positions. 2 Guards and backup Center.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    Or maybe he'll just keep drafting really good offensive linemen in the middle rounds. Sitton 4th round, Lang 4th round, Tretter 4th round, Bakhtiari 4th round, Linsley 5th round etc.
    by my count we need 2 of those guys

i'm assuming spriggs is gonna start somewhere

so we need rookies that can step in right away and be a backup and probably start more then a few games because of injuries at G/T and another for C/G

and no, fucking barclay doesn't fit either of those roles imo

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    Yeah, I forgot there are only 3 paying O line positions. 2 Guards and backup Center.
    Are you saying over the years Sitton and Lang were not used as examples of people we needed to save financial room for?

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    Boom. Guards are not as important as tackles and we still only have one starter slot to fill, with Spriggs waiting in the wings.

Personally I don't ever see Spriggs playing guard and I'm on the fence about Murphy playing inside. I wouldn't move Bulaga simply because you don't screw around with moving a competent, upper tier right tackle to play guard. Just find a decent guard whether it's, Patrick, a FA, or a draft pick and plug them into the line. Leave the other 4 components, (Linsley, Taylor, Bulaga, and Bak) alone and find 1 decent/good inside guy. Plus we already have 2 new TE's that have to get into the O-Line mix this year. I hate playing musical chairs with the O-line because it's the damn franchise you're trying to protect. Pressure from the inside is just as likely to get AR killed as pressure from the outside.
    Last edited by SMBASS; 03-12-2017 at 06:22 PM.

So we are loosing a 30 year old guard and a backup centre. Last season to drafted their replacementS with spriggs and the other one whose name escapes me. Say we get a mid round ol and Rb. Still can focus the draft on cb, nt and mlb...

lacy got out of seattle without signing, he's on his way to green bay to talk with TT

Funny how some of you guys have no idea how big of a deal continuity is on the o-line. Sure just plug anyone in at guard, they don't need ay experience or depth. That is until shuffling guys all over gets Rodgers hurt. Because let's face it, if Rodgers goes down for any significant amount of time, this team is toast. Stubby is not a good enough coach to win a lot of games without Rodgers.

Quote Originally Posted by red View Post
    lacy got out of seattle without signing, he's on his way to green bay to talk with TT
    If Lacy was all that, he wouldn't have gotten out of Seattle and Minny without a contract. Not saying we shouldn't resign him, but the league is not banging his door down in free agency.

Quote Originally Posted by SMBASS View Post
    Personally I don't ever see Spriggs playing guard and I'm on the fence about Murphy playing inside. I wouldn't move Bulaga simply because you don't screw around with moving a competent, upper tier right tackle to play guard. Just find a decent guard whether it's, Patrick, a FA, or a draft pick and plug them into the line. Leave the other 4 components, (Linsley, Taylor, Bulaga, and Bak) alone and find 1 decent/good inside guy. Plus we already have 2 new TE's that have to get into the O-Line mix this year. I hate playing musical chairs with the O-line because it's the damn franchise you're trying to protect. Pressure from the inside is just as likely to get AR killed as pressure from the outside.
    I agree Spriggs isn't a Guard. I'd be reluctant to move Bulaga inside simply because he's coming off maybe his best year. The only reason you would do it is is you feel that Spriggs is definitely one of your top 5 O-Linemen, and you want tp get your top 5 on the field. I think they'll leave Bulaga at RT, and RG will be the big battle of training camp. I know the coaching staff likes Patrick. I think Murphy has the skill set to play Guard if he gets a little stronger. And I expect TT to draft at least 1 O-Lineman.

Quote Originally Posted by gbgary View Post
    idk. he's been uncharacteristically bold this week. i'm cautiously optimistic that he'll make a defensive signing.
    He signed 2 TE's - and actually improved a position on the roster; yes, that is very uncharacteristic of TT... but don't expect full-blown miracles.

In the last 2 drafts he's drafted Randall, Rollins, Clark, Fackrell, Lowry, Martinez, and Ryan - there's no way in hell he's going to admit that all of those guys, or any of them, are shit, even if they are.

While I would argue that all off those guys - every single one of them is a below average NFL player, TT's "draft and develop" addiction simply won't allow him to call a turd a turd. I seriously doubt any defensive help is on the way. As I said, TT will look at it like the needed help is already on the roster.

Other teams will make moves to improve, and TT will stand pat for the most part. I like Bennett better than Cook, and Kendricks better than any TE we have on the roster - but they can't play defense.

I fully expect our defense to be complete crap again next year... another "1 and done" or embarrassing exit from the playoffs - and Rodgers another year older.
    wist

Wist is back? He disappeared at the end of that 8 game winning streak and the victory over Dallas.
    "There's a lot of interest in the draft. It's great. But quite frankly, most of the people that are commenting on it don't know anything about what they are talking about."--Ted Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by wist43 View Post
    He signed 2 TE's - and actually improved a position on the roster; yes, that is very uncharacteristic of TT... but don't expect full-blown miracles.

In the last 2 drafts he's drafted Randall, Rollins, Clark, Fackrell, Lowry, Martinez, and Ryan - there's no way in hell he's going to admit that all of those guys, or any of them, are shit, even if they are.

While I would argue that all off those guys - every single one of them is a below average NFL player, TT's "draft and develop" addiction simply won't allow him to call a turd a turd. I seriously doubt any defensive help is on the way. As I said, TT will look at it like the needed help is already on the roster.

Other teams will make moves to improve, and TT will stand pat for the most part. I like Bennett better than Cook, and Kendricks better than any TE we have on the roster - but they can't play defense.

I fully expect our defense to be complete crap again next year... another "1 and done" or embarrassing exit from the playoffs - and Rodgers another year older.

I pretty much agree, but I do think clark will be pretty decent. So he will probably get hurt for a full season this year.

Quote Originally Posted by wist43 View Post
    another "1 and done" or embarrassing exit from the playoffs - and Rodgers another year older.
    We weren't one and done last year Wist...if you were around, you'd have known that. Unfortunately, the Packers kicked you right in the sack going down the stretch this season and you apparently got laid up somewhere. Hope you are feeling better.
    It's such a GOOD feeling...13 TIME WORLD CHAMPIONS!!

Quote Originally Posted by HarveyWallbangers View Post
    Wist is back? He disappeared at the end of that 8 game winning streak and the victory over Dallas.
    "Disappeared" long before that... changed jobs, and our 3rd kid is wearing me out now. Simply don't have time to do much of anything but work and tend to the family. Things are settling out a little bit though, so maybe I can watch a little football this year...

Bought some new golf clubs... my brother laughed and said I was waaaayyyyy too optimistic, lol...
    wist

Quote Originally Posted by King Friday View Post
    We weren't one and done last year Wist...if you were around, you'd have known that. Unfortunately, the Packers kicked you right in the sack going down the stretch this season and you apparently got laid up somewhere. Hope you are feeling better.
    Try to keep up KF... the "or" is in there
    wist