Page 21 of 32 FirstFirst ... 11 19 20 21 22 23 31 ... LastLast

Thread: Packers' Off Season Moves and 2017 Roster

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Packer Report

Mentioned yesterday that House won't be signing with Packers. He's in Pittsburgh. My guess is he won't leave without a contract.

@ProFootballTalk 10m10 minutes ago
    Report: Datone Jones visiting Vikings http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...iting-vikings/

I am torn. He is literally just good enough to be close almost every time. But even when secondary was better, he still didn't put up numbers. I have no idea whether he is a cause or a symptom of bad defense.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    Report: Datone Jones visiting Vikings http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...iting-vikings/

I am torn. He is literally just good enough to be close almost every time. But even when secondary was better, he still didn't put up numbers. I have no idea whether he is a cause or a symptom of bad defense.
    IMO Jones isn't the brightest knife in the bulb drawer. He is usually good for one boneheaded penalty a game.

Quote Originally Posted by Pugger View Post
    Jones isn't the brightest knife in the bulb drawer.

Quote Originally Posted by Pugger View Post
    IMO Jones isn't the brightest knife in the bulb drawer. He is usually good for one boneheaded penalty a game.
    Sure you aren't lumping him together with Brad Jones?

Last year he had one sack and by my count about 4 or 5 mindless, backbreaking penalties. He's been in the league for 4 years. I'm not sure what we are holding on to.

Quote Originally Posted by yetisnowman View Post
    Last year he had one sack and by my count about 4 or 5 mindless, backbreaking penalties. He's been in the league for 4 years. I'm not sure what we are holding on to.
    He was second on the team in pressure behind Perry I believe. He frequently got close but did not seal the deal.

He also had those dumb penalties.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Packers seemed to think he (datone jones) was good at olb last year. i don't even remember him playing there. lol

If Jones can't succeed with the good players minny has on d he cant succeed anywhere.

Blog Entries
    I really could care less about Eddie Lacy

Defense Defense Defense
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

Silverstein: http://www.packersnews.com/story/spo...lors/99120766/

Thompson has around $25 million in cap space available to compete for some of his remaining free agents such as Lacy and linebackers Datone Jones and Jayrone Elliott. At most, it would cost him $5 million in cap space to sign to sign those three.

more like 28 million

Quote Originally Posted by red View Post
    more like 28 million
    Do you know how much has to be retained for the Rookie Pool red? I'm thinking it's somewhere in the 5 - 6 million range but I could be wrong. Plus take away whatever Elliott and Kendricks were signed for and I'm guessing they have somewhere in the area of 20 million left to play with. Maybe it's more because I'm not sure how much of the Rookie Pool counts towards the cap. I just don't pay near as much attention to the cap numbers and hits as a lot of other people on here do.

Quote Originally Posted by SMBASS View Post
    Do you know how much has to be retained for the Rookie Pool red? I'm thinking it's somewhere in the 5 - 6 million range but I could be wrong. Plus take away whatever Elliott and Kendricks were signed for and I'm guessing they have somewhere in the area of 20 million left to play with. Maybe it's more because I'm not sure how much of the Rookie Pool counts towards the cap. I just don't pay near as much attention to the cap numbers and hits as a lot of other people on here do.
    probably closer to 2 or 2.5

you always here that you need 5 or 6 million for draft picks, but thats a load of crap

right now, with jayrone signed, we sit at abut 26.5 million in free cap space. thats already counting the top 51 players, a good chunck of whom are making the minimum (around 500-600k)

with the draft picks, pretty much anyone drafted after the second round is gonna be playing for the minimum, so they're just gonna be taking the place of some other guy making the minimum, so no cap spaced lost. the only real guys that are gonna take up space are the first and second rounders. last years first rounder (clark) had a cap number of about 1.7, or 1.1 or 1.2 more then the guy he replaced. our second rounder (spriggs) had a cap hit of 900k, or 400k more then the guy he replaced

so really, by my math, last years rookie class ate up about 1.6 million of the free cap space we had

that 5 or 6 million would be the total cap hit for the drafted rookies, but you gotta keep in mind, those guys are gonna be replacing guys that are already being counted against the cap

Peter Schrager‏ @PSchrags 11m11 minutes ago
    Jayrone Elliott (OLB) has re-signed with the Green Bay Packers on a 1-year-deal. @Gmfb @NFLONFOX

I'd rather let Datone Jones walk and use his cap space to sign someone like Connor Barwin who is actually an OLB who has proven he can make an impact in a 3-4 defense. Jones has tried to play 2 different positions and been fairly pedestrian at both of them. I consider him to be basically another failed 1st round defensive draft pick at this point.

Based on a chart I found regarding the 2017 Rookie Pool you're estimations look to be pretty close red. Thanks for the info.

Team No. Picks Rookie Pool Effective Cap Cost

Packers 9 $5,348,200 $1,433,200

Where did we get that 9th draft pick? We had 8 last I saw. Got one comp pick for Hayward.

Quote Originally Posted by smuggler View Post
    Where did we get that 9th draft pick? We had 8 last I saw. Got one comp pick for Hayward.
    Of fudge Smuggler...I went back to the wrong link for the same site. That was from 2015! Lol! The 2017 numbers should be:

Packers...8 picks...Total Rookie Pool: $5,763,374...(Doesn't list the estimated rookie cap hit but I'm guessing it has to be somewhere between 1.8 -2.2 million or so.)

There is something else to remember about the cap number now. I believe in the offseason you only need to count the top 51 deals.

At some point, the entire roster counts. That means the cap available now will shrink by a few minimum deals.