Page 21 of 33 FirstFirst ... 11 19 20 21 22 23 31 ... LastLast

Thread: Packers' Off Season Moves and 2017 Roster

Quote Originally Posted by Rutnstrut View Post
    I pretty much agree, but I do think clark will be pretty decent. So he will probably get hurt for a full season this year.
    I almost don't think it matters how much talent they have on defense... Capers is our DC, and will be for next 832 years. He's a disaster. 2-4 is our base defense, and we don't have the personnel to play it well... our defense has no identity, and we're routinely and habitually outcoached. Simply put - the game has passed Capers by, and he needs to retire... of course he isn't going anywhere.

TT can work to improve the offense all he wants, but our problems are - as always - on defense. This organization will never get it figured out.
    wist

Quote Originally Posted by yetisnowman View Post
    Are you saying over the years Sitton and Lang were not used as examples of people we needed to save financial room for?
    Sure. A decent franchise will always have some flexibility to sign their own to new deals and not mortgage the future entirely.

But circumstances change. Both were hampered by injuries and Sitton may have been a pain in his coaches behind. So between age, injury history and market value, you adjust. You put a price of $7 mil per year on Lang, knowing that might be the low end and if he goes elsewhere, you spend money elsewhere.

You give Sitton's money to your young left tackle and make it possible to sign both your OLB and others.

Every dime they did not spend on past FAs and new contracts during those Guards second contracts is available to them this year. And it might get spent yet this offseason.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by red View Post
    lacy got out of seattle without signing, he's on his way to green bay to talk with TT
    He is also out of Minnesota and headed to GB.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Rat-A-Tat-Tat Veteran BZnDallas's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rutnstrut View Post
    Funny how some of you guys have no idea how big of a deal continuity is on the o-line. Sure just plug anyone in at guard, they don't need ay experience or depth. That is until shuffling guys all over gets Rodgers hurt. Because let's face it, if Rodgers goes down for any significant amount of time, this team is toast. Stubby is not a good enough coach to win a lot of games without Rodgers.
    We ALL understand and are aware of what happens if AR goes down Rut. See in this sport, there is only so much money to spend. Its called a salary cap. That means you can't keep everyone you want. At some point you have to let players walk. Think you'd be hard pressed to find anybody here that didn't like Lang. The most of us realize its part of the game to lose players you like. Even the vaunted Cowboy line is having to make changes this off season. Oh no! The continuity! We'll all get over it, will you?
    Now what y'all know about dem Texas boys
    Comin' down in candied toys, smokin' weed and talkin' noise!!!

Packer Report

Mentioned yesterday that House won't be signing with Packers. He's in Pittsburgh. My guess is he won't leave without a contract.

@ProFootballTalk 10m10 minutes ago
    Report: Datone Jones visiting Vikings http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...iting-vikings/

I am torn. He is literally just good enough to be close almost every time. But even when secondary was better, he still didn't put up numbers. I have no idea whether he is a cause or a symptom of bad defense.

Packers seemed to think he (datone jones) was good at olb last year. i don't even remember him playing there. lol

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    Report: Datone Jones visiting Vikings http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...iting-vikings/

I am torn. He is literally just good enough to be close almost every time. But even when secondary was better, he still didn't put up numbers. I have no idea whether he is a cause or a symptom of bad defense.
    IMO Jones isn't the brightest knife in the bulb drawer. He is usually good for one boneheaded penalty a game.

If Jones can't succeed with the good players minny has on d he cant succeed anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Pugger View Post
    Jones isn't the brightest knife in the bulb drawer.

Blog Entries
    I really could care less about Eddie Lacy

Defense Defense Defense
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

Silverstein: http://www.packersnews.com/story/spo...lors/99120766/

Thompson has around $25 million in cap space available to compete for some of his remaining free agents such as Lacy and linebackers Datone Jones and Jayrone Elliott. At most, it would cost him $5 million in cap space to sign to sign those three.

Peter Schrager‏ @PSchrags 11m11 minutes ago
    Jayrone Elliott (OLB) has re-signed with the Green Bay Packers on a 1-year-deal. @Gmfb @NFLONFOX

more like 28 million

Quote Originally Posted by red View Post
    more like 28 million
    Do you know how much has to be retained for the Rookie Pool red? I'm thinking it's somewhere in the 5 - 6 million range but I could be wrong. Plus take away whatever Elliott and Kendricks were signed for and I'm guessing they have somewhere in the area of 20 million left to play with. Maybe it's more because I'm not sure how much of the Rookie Pool counts towards the cap. I just don't pay near as much attention to the cap numbers and hits as a lot of other people on here do.

Last year he had one sack and by my count about 4 or 5 mindless, backbreaking penalties. He's been in the league for 4 years. I'm not sure what we are holding on to.

Quote Originally Posted by Pugger View Post
    IMO Jones isn't the brightest knife in the bulb drawer. He is usually good for one boneheaded penalty a game.
    Sure you aren't lumping him together with Brad Jones?

I'd rather let Datone Jones walk and use his cap space to sign someone like Connor Barwin who is actually an OLB who has proven he can make an impact in a 3-4 defense. Jones has tried to play 2 different positions and been fairly pedestrian at both of them. I consider him to be basically another failed 1st round defensive draft pick at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by SMBASS View Post
    Do you know how much has to be retained for the Rookie Pool red? I'm thinking it's somewhere in the 5 - 6 million range but I could be wrong. Plus take away whatever Elliott and Kendricks were signed for and I'm guessing they have somewhere in the area of 20 million left to play with. Maybe it's more because I'm not sure how much of the Rookie Pool counts towards the cap. I just don't pay near as much attention to the cap numbers and hits as a lot of other people on here do.
    probably closer to 2 or 2.5

you always here that you need 5 or 6 million for draft picks, but thats a load of crap

right now, with jayrone signed, we sit at abut 26.5 million in free cap space. thats already counting the top 51 players, a good chunck of whom are making the minimum (around 500-600k)

with the draft picks, pretty much anyone drafted after the second round is gonna be playing for the minimum, so they're just gonna be taking the place of some other guy making the minimum, so no cap spaced lost. the only real guys that are gonna take up space are the first and second rounders. last years first rounder (clark) had a cap number of about 1.7, or 1.1 or 1.2 more then the guy he replaced. our second rounder (spriggs) had a cap hit of 900k, or 400k more then the guy he replaced

so really, by my math, last years rookie class ate up about 1.6 million of the free cap space we had

that 5 or 6 million would be the total cap hit for the drafted rookies, but you gotta keep in mind, those guys are gonna be replacing guys that are already being counted against the cap

Based on a chart I found regarding the 2017 Rookie Pool you're estimations look to be pretty close red. Thanks for the info.

Team No. Picks Rookie Pool Effective Cap Cost

Packers 9 $5,348,200 $1,433,200