Page 22 of 33 FirstFirst ... 12 20 21 22 23 24 32 ... LastLast

Thread: Packers' Off Season Moves and 2017 Roster

Where did we get that 9th draft pick? We had 8 last I saw. Got one comp pick for Hayward.

Quote Originally Posted by smuggler View Post
    Where did we get that 9th draft pick? We had 8 last I saw. Got one comp pick for Hayward.
    Of fudge Smuggler...I went back to the wrong link for the same site. That was from 2015! Lol! The 2017 numbers should be:

Packers...8 picks...Total Rookie Pool: $5,763,374...(Doesn't list the estimated rookie cap hit but I'm guessing it has to be somewhere between 1.8 -2.2 million or so.)

Quote Originally Posted by yetisnowman View Post
    Last year he had one sack and by my count about 4 or 5 mindless, backbreaking penalties. He's been in the league for 4 years. I'm not sure what we are holding on to.
    He was second on the team in pressure behind Perry I believe. He frequently got close but did not seal the deal.

He also had those dumb penalties.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

There is something else to remember about the cap number now. I believe in the offseason you only need to count the top 51 deals.

At some point, the entire roster counts. That means the cap available now will shrink by a few minimum deals.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

My list of players that I think could all help the Pack!

One of Gerald Hodges or Zach Brown at the ILB spot. Both guys have the ability to drop into coverage and actually be successful at it, something the Packers sorely lack. They should also come at a reasonable cost.

Connor Barwin, if around $5-6 a year and no more than 4 years would be a nice pickup.

Jonathan Hankins had his best year two years ago playing on the nose. Probably not happening, though.

Oday Aboushi G/T would be a decent signing or maybe John Urschel from the Ravens as veteran line depth.

Andrew Norwell is an interesting player. Would cost a 2nd rd pick, but was really good last year, is young and has upside to him.

Not much available in the secondary.

Speaking of contracts, any Packers coming up for contracts during the 2017 season ? ( If so, some of that cap would need to be held for that.)

Wolf Pack Rat HOFer Deputy Nutz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Deputy Nutz View Post
    Packers will not sign anyone of significance outside the organization during free agency.
    Bennett proved my theory wrong, and adding Kendricks was a bonus for the offense, this certainly makes the offense more productive in the passing game and Bennett provide better blocking at the tight end position. He is probably the best blocking tight end the Packers have brought in under Thompson.

My concern is the loss of Lang. I didn't think he got a massive deal from the Lions and the Packers certainly had the cap space and the need to resign him. The shifting on the offensive line, and playing guys out of position is very risky indeed. The Packers still haven't gotten better on defense this off season. Just signing Perry doesn't make this defense better in 2017 than it was in 2016. The failure of this team down the stretch was the defense. The Packers are relying on very young and raw players at the corner position and it is a huge gamble to not bring in some veteran leadership at that position. I doubt a first or second round rookie is going to add much in 2017.

Bennett proved my theory wrong, and adding Kendricks was a bonus for the offense, this certainly makes the offense more productive in the passing game and Bennett provide better blocking at the tight end position. He is probably the best blocking tight end the Packers have brought in under Thompson.

My concern is the loss of Lang. I didn't think he got a massive deal from the Lions and the Packers certainly had the cap space and the need to resign him. The shifting on the offensive line, and playing guys out of position is very risky indeed. The Packers still haven't gotten better on defense this off season. Just signing Perry doesn't make this defense better in 2017 than it was in 2016. The failure of this team down the stretch was the defense. The Packers are relying on very young and raw players at the corner position and it is a huge gamble to not bring in some veteran leadership at that position. I doubt a first or second round rookie is going to add much in 2017.
    Lang is great but do you think it is wise to give a guard knocking on 30 a 3 year deal @ $9m per? We all feared for Aaron's health after Sitton was released and Taylor played well. Can we duplicate that success with one of our young guys this year? Could Bulaga be the answer there with Spriggs going to RT?

I agree, the defense still needs work. I don't have a problem resigning Perry. His biggest issue is staying on the field. When he can he is very effective. Of course FA isn't done so perhaps Ted still can surprise us again before it is all said and done.

Eddie Lacy signs with Seattle per Rich Eisen

Taylor was ready to start for the Packers. They resigned him to a multi year deal. Sure he wasn't proven yet as a starter, but he had several years in Green Bay and the coaches knew what he could project. Lang still has three good years in him and for a guarantee of 19 million the Packers could have released him after the second year. The depth on the offensive line took a massive hit this off season with losing Tretter, and Lang. I guess the way I look at it if the Packers are making a push for the Super Bowl in 2017 and 2018 they could have solidified the offensive line by paying Lang. Lang may have been over payed by the Lions, but my issue is how much pressure does Thompson actually feel to go for broke the next couple of years to make significant moves to push the Packers into the Super Bowl?

With signing two tight ends in the off season the Packers can focus the middle rounds on the draft on linemen, offensively and defensively. They can address the need for pass rushers and pass defenders in the first few rounds of the draft and with the loss of Lacy the Packers will also have to draft at least one viable ball carrier. I don't think a late 7th round pick will do it, so expect the Packers to go Pass rusher, corner back, running back, lineman, lineman in the draft.

In regards to the draft the Packers should simply look to draft the highest rated defensive player on their board, or preferably on the Patriot's big board.

Bulaga could move. I would rather have Bulaga at guard then Spriggs. Spriggs is pretty lean and more athletic than he is a mauler. He isn't a guard and he failed last year when asked to play there. Bulaga is a veteran so a move to the inside my piss him off. Bulaga is way more versatile at this point than Spriggs.

Bulaga is a veteran so a move to the inside my piss him off.
    If he can stay healthier at guard and not miss as much time and be a near Pro Bowl level player, he can still earn a hell of a lot of money. Just ask Lang.

Bulaga has to know this switch was coming at some point in his career.
    It's such a GOOD feeling...13 TIME WORLD CHAMPIONS!!

Tom Silverstein‏Verified account @TomSilverstein 20s21 seconds ago

CB Davon House has agreed to one-year deal with the #Packers, according to a source.

Would you take House at $3.5M for one year or Lacy at $5.5 for one year? I think the veteran CB is more important. I would have liked to have seen Lacy resign, but probably not at that price.
    "There's a lot of interest in the draft. It's great. But quite frankly, most of the people that are commenting on it don't know anything about what they are talking about."--Ted Thompson

Apples to oranges,

Would you rather have House for 3.5 or Hyde for his 6.5 million per year deal? I would rather have House

Quote Originally Posted by HarveyWallbangers View Post
    Would you take House at $3.5M for one year or Lacy at $5.5 for one year? I think the veteran CB is more important. I would have liked to have seen Lacy resign, but probably not at that price.
    not if he isn't any good. with a gun to my head i'd have to pick lacy (after bariatric surgery).

I project that House isn't on the final 53 this year.
    I don't hold Grudges. It's counterproductive.

Quote Originally Posted by Pugger View Post
    Lang is great but do you think it is wise to give a guard knocking on 30 a 3 year deal @ $9m per?
    With 20 million guaranteed.*

*To save red some time, yes, some of this could be funny money, but even so, apples to apples, one of the biggest percentages of guarantees in NFL history.

Apples to oranges,

Would you rather have House for 3.5 or Hyde for his 6.5 million per year deal? I would rather have House
    House.

Quote Originally Posted by HarveyWallbangers View Post
    House.

Quote Originally Posted by bobblehead View Post
    I project that House isn't on the final 53 this year.
    Because he is terrible or because the #1 pick is a CB and two of Randall/Rollins/Gunter step up?

Gotta think he makes the team unless he is just a shell of himself.