Page 5 of 33 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 ... LastLast

Thread: Packers' Off Season Moves and 2017 Roster

What's more likely: Ted signs a high-profile free agent who is not already on the team and does not get cut from another team, or Fritzy has sex with Drew Barrymore somewhere other than in his dreams?
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Quote Originally Posted by Deputy Nutz View Post
    Before his shoulder he missed two games with a hamstring. He misses far too many tackles, and can't make plays in coverage. Even when healthy he struggles to show up in crunch time. Perfect example is the NFC Championship game against Seattle. How much are you willing to pay Matthews per sack? 2016 you payed him roughly 3 million per sack. When he played an entire season in the inside he still only managed 66 tackles. He is more hype than production. I agree he is coming back but if the Packers did cut him they would have plenty of money to sign a starting caliber defensive back and sign Nick Perry. .
    That makes his pressure numbers look even better. Sack isn't the only evidence he is having an effect.

I agree, healthy, Perry is the better player on the LOS. But the history is not there are he stays less healthy than Matthews.

If you wanted to go production per dollar, you sign Jones and Peppers cheap and toss Perry and Matthews to some other team to spend money on their injured list.

I might endorse that move except for all the plays Matthews does not make, I see him much more than Jones, who somehow totaled more pressures. Which means that over 16 games, his number is very unimpressive.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    What's more likely: Ted signs a high-profile free agent who is not already on the team and does not get cut from another team, or Fritzy has sex with Drew Barrymore somewhere other than in his dreams?
    Are you sure you want us to answer this question?
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Why would they sign Tretter? They have Linsley, and a guy they like on the PS. I could see them drafting a player for depth and banking on 2 of Barclay, Spriggs, and Murphy to make a leap and be the depth. Not sure you want to spend big money on a backup player who's injured a lot. Tretter is a luxury they will skip if they sign a veteran CB in FA.

Blog Entries
    Good thread with a lot of really good posts on both sides of just about all these guys.

I'm assuming Cook is in for sure. Then, if Ted goes to the top of the market at CB it seems like Lang, Tretter and Lacy could all be gone. Or Datone might have to come back vs. Perry. A top-shelf CB plus Lang, Lacy and Perry doesn't seem to work - unless Matthews is willing to redo his deal or Ted is willing to cut him. That'd take balls of steel, which Ted has shown but I'm not seeing that here.

And the offseason action (combine, signing period) is a month away yet.

Keep dreaming Fritzy.
    Last edited by vince; 02-11-2017 at 07:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by run pMc View Post
    Why would they sign Tretter? They have Linsley, and a guy they like on the PS. I could see them drafting a player for depth and banking on 2 of Barclay, Spriggs, and Murphy to make a leap and be the depth. Not sure you want to spend big money on a backup player who's injured a lot. Tretter is a luxury they will skip if they sign a veteran CB in FA.
    They might do it because Ted doesn't like to watch talent walk away before a second deal. But as you say, the numbers may work against it. He does have a number of starts, so his price might not be bargain basement.

The only scenario I can picture that they NEED him would involve moving Linsley to Guard to replace Lang (or backup both) and let Tretter start. With a backup Guard, you let Barclay go and keep Murph and the Magictones (Spriggs).
    Last edited by pbmax; 02-11-2017 at 10:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by vince View Post

Keep dreaming Fritzy.
    he has no shot with drew from 20 years ago, but he might have a shot with her today

just like me 20 years ago with jennifer love hewitt, she was the hottest girl ever, but if her ass keep growing, i figure she'll be knocking down my door in a couple years

Just like Ted has a shot with a FA - as long as he's no longer in his prime and comes cheap!

I'll take any version of Drew. Just like some of you will take any version of Eddie Lacy.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

What Packerrats see when they see a big-name free agent:

What Ted Thompson sees when he sees a big-name free agent:

KYPack

My guess is you guys haven't seen Santa Clarita Diet, lol..
    wist

Lang has not been contacted yet this offseason. http://cheeseheadtv.com/blog/could-j...medium=twitter

The Packers haven’t even contacted Lang. He said so this week on SiriusXM Radio.
    So the other free agents are still the priorities (Tretter, Perry, maybe Jones), and there is still time for them all to sign or turn down the Packers.

These guys at Cheesehead TV think Tretter might be targeted for Guard. I think Linsley would be a better fit, but they have had taller, thinner guys at Guard before.

EDIT: forgot Cook as FA priority over Lang.
    Last edited by pbmax; 02-16-2017 at 04:58 PM.

one of those two (tretter, linsley) will be our starting guard next year, the other will be the center

no room for lang imo

Here are your FA signings:

Miami Dolphins @MiamiDolphins
    We have released DE Mario Williams, DT Earl Mitchell and waived CB Ifo Ekpre-Olomu.

Nagler's podcast gives the following run down on Packers own FAs:

0. Hyde, signed, too valuable
    1. Cook, signed, $5-6 mil per, less than Olsen, maybe DWalker/BCelek territory
    2. Jones*, signed, everything but boxscore contributions
    3. Perry, maybe, $8+ mil per, Packers want him, but he's gonna get Jerry Hughes/PernellMcNee/BrandonGraham money
    4. Barclay, yes, minimum salary

5. Lacy, no, hits FA like Perry to test water, comes back if he doesn't like offers
    6. Lang, no, $7+ mil per, Patrick or Murphy replace him, a Ted move
    7. Peppers, no, old, want Fackrell or Elliot to step up
    8. Michael, no, untrustworthy, hit open market, might bring him back if he gets lowballed
    9. Starks, no
    10. JC Tretter, maybe due to injury, might scare off suitors, but should get paid starter money somewhere

* Says Jones doesn't show up in boxscore but does a lot of good things on tape
    Last edited by pbmax; 02-16-2017 at 05:34 PM.

i like perry a lot this year, but thats too much money for a guy whos had one season NOT ruined by injuries

and i DO NOT want barclay back at any cost. you can't afford to have him on the field, so why even keep him. go draft someone else, or just go grab a frozen piece of dog shit to take his spot

hyde i would keep, shouldn't cost much, and isn't a bad player

cook is a no brainer for me, sign him up, top priority

datone, i don't know on this one, maybe keep him if he's dirt cheap, but i'm not his biggest fan. but if he does stay, he's the guy that needs to step up in place of peppers and perry, not fackerell

lacy i would try and keep, the guy has weight issues, but i think we can all admit, he's the best back we've had in a long time (at least since ahman). when healthy. and he shouldn't cost that much. i think we're all just pissed at him cause he got fat and hurt

and i already said i think they'll keep tretter over lang, tretter should be younger and cheaper

An actual new nugget from Andrew Brandt from this Nagler podcast. When McCarthy came on board, he was looking to launch his accountability and availability drive.

Brandt says this was when the Packers front office really bought in to adding offseason workout bonuses into contracts. $100,000 of the agreed salary might be for offseason program alone and the player had to hit 85%, 90 or 95% attendance to collect the cash.

The two holdouts? Harris and Woodson said it didn't matter how much was in the fund, they weren't coming in just to workout in March.

Never had a chance to get it into Favre's contract. Rodgers has it in the current deal.

2 guys who didn't need the extra work, or a piddly 100K

and just to update, free agency for the other 31 teams starts march 9th

so we got 3 weeks to sign our own guys we want to keep before their prices go way up

Oracle Rat HOFer Cheesehead Craig's Avatar
    I think we're losing Perry. I can see him getting better $ than the Pack are willing to offer. There will be posts of those saying this is proof that TT needs to go as he's letting valuable pieces go. And others who will point out that the $ he got is more than the Packers could have possibly offer it without screwing themselves over on the cap and keeping other players.
    All hail the Ruler of the Meadow!

ProFootballTalk @ProFootballTalk
    Pittsburgh Police say charges that include robbery and aggravated assault are pending against Darrelle Revis

Revis Island getting cheaper by the moment.