Page 8 of 33 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 18 ... LastLast

Thread: Packers' Off Season Moves and 2017 Roster

Demovsky on linebackers: http://www.espn.com/blog/green-bay-p...de-and-outside

1. Matthews might be best suited to inside. McCarthy seems committed to move him around.
    2. Perry needs to come back, for his contributions and ...
    3. Peppers appears to be done. However, with limited snaps early in season, Peppers still got 8.5 sacks.
    4. Jones gone
    5. Thomas (shedding blocks), Ryan (big plays) and Martinez (coverage) all have holes. All would be helped by Matthews in middle.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

the problem with mathews being an ILB is that he would be the highest paid ILB in the game at around 13 million a year

the next highest is kuechly at 12.3

i'd take luke all day long in the middle over clay

so he would be due a pay cut, which in ths day and age, i don't believe in

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    If they cut or trade Cobb, 6.5 million of his remaining signing bonus hits the cap. It would probably cost 10 million per year to sign Jackson. With Jordy having a cap hit of 11.5 million, that would be an awful lot of your cap tied up in the WR position. Won't and shouldn't happen. They'll hope Trevor Davis can contribute more in his 2nd year, and maybe draft speed at WR. Besides, there was nothing wrong with the Packers passing game once they started getting production from Cook at TE.
    yeah, cause 27 million is so much more then 24.2 million with cobb and nelson both on the roster

and there was nothing wrong with the passing game other then cobb not adding much of anything to it, and the lack of a deep threat that a-rod and M3 keep thinking they have and try and use on many of the passing plays

a reliable deep threat guy would just open everything up so much for us imo

cobb gone ain't happenin. lol

Quote Originally Posted by red View Post
    yeah, cause 27 million is so much more then 24.2 million with cobb and nelson both on the roster

and there was nothing wrong with the passing game other then cobb not adding much of anything to it, and the lack of a deep threat that a-rod and M3 keep thinking they have and try and use on many of the passing plays

a reliable deep threat guy would just open everything up so much for us imo
    I think a strong inside presence would open up the long game more than vise versa. Maybe Cook resigning and having a year in the system makes that happen.

Wolf Pack Rat HOFer Deputy Nutz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    Demovsky on linebackers: http://www.espn.com/blog/green-bay-p...de-and-outside

1. Matthews might be best suited to inside. McCarthy seems committed to move him around.
    2. Perry needs to come back, for his contributions and ...
    3. Peppers appears to be done. However, with limited snaps early in season, Peppers still got 8.5 sacks.
    4. Jones gone
    5. Thomas (shedding blocks), Ryan (big plays) and Martinez (coverage) all have holes. All would be helped by Matthews in middle.
    Matthews is a pass rusher. He is a poor tackler, poor in coverage, and terrible at taking on blocks. If the Packers want to use him as a pass rusher from the inside linebacker position so be it but playing him there on 1st and 2nd down as a run stopper or to drop in coverage is a mistake. The Packers are not going to cut him because of the lack of depth and quality at the OLB position. They are stuck paying him all that scratch for the foreseeable future. He is a better player if he is moved around the field, it is obviously less predictable where he is going to be coming from.

Matthews might be an improvement over what the Packers have trotted out at ILB for several years now. If only because he is fast and can cause havoc, you stand an increased chance of a big play (TFL, pressure). So while he definitely struggles on pays up the gut, he can chase to the sideline like no other ILB we have seen in years.

I still think the majority of the improvement in the 2014 defense was not Matthews inside (though it helped), but Perry getting a starting job, being healthy and shoring up the run defense.
    Last edited by pbmax; 02-21-2017 at 11:44 AM.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Free Agent DEs for a 3-4 team. 9 of them. Somehow, all but two specialize in stopping the run.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2...ramming-league

1. Calais Campbell
    2. Chris Baker
    3. Karl Klug
    4. Frostee Rucker
    5. Leger Douzable
    6. Ricardo Mathews
    7. Kendall Reyes
    8. Antonio Smith
    9. Billy Winn

Actually, they have FA rankings for most positions posted already, as part of their Bleacher Report NFL1000 scouting series.
    Last edited by pbmax; 02-21-2017 at 11:44 AM.

Mathews isn't really that great of a pass rusher anymore either. Moving him inside may be best for the team, but he whines and pouts about it. If he isn't happy he won't play as hard. He isn't that good when he's goin all out, so if he's taking plays off because he was moved he will be worse. So maybe moving him isn't best for the team, unless it's moving him off the team.

With all the cap space available out there, I can't see the Packers having a chance to resign Perry unless they want to break the bank. Teams are going to be spending OBSCENE amounts of cash on people when free agency opens, and a young pass rusher like Perry coming off a career year is going to attract a lot of attention. I really do not see a chance that we can resign him for less than $10M/year...and that is considering him giving GB a hometown discount to remain with a title contender. I would not be surprised to see him walk for an offer in the range of $50M over 4 years. There are not many pass rushers on the healthy side of 30 in this year's FA crop...guys who post double digit sacks get paid a lot of money in this league. (i.e. Clay)

I also see Lacy and Starks as departures...and I can't see Thompson going into camp with only Monty and a bunch of unproven RBs as ballcarriers. What is the consensus on how we approach the RB position if in fact Lacy is not retained? Does Thompson take a chance on Peterson if he becomes available? He likely won't attract much interest in free agency due to age and the fact few contending teams have a gaping hole at RB like the Packers do. He fits the profile of an aging uber athlete that Ted doesn't mind taking a chance on when the price is right, although the fact he's a RB will test Ted's better judgment.
    It's such a GOOD feeling...13 TIME WORLD CHAMPIONS!!

I doubt Starks will be back but I don't see a big market for Lacy so he should return. Peterson will cost too much and his style of play isn't a good fit for our offense.

Quote Originally Posted by King Friday View Post
    With all the cap space available out there, I can't see the Packers having a chance to resign Perry unless they want to break the bank. Teams are going to be spending OBSCENE amounts of cash on people when free agency opens, and a young pass rusher like Perry coming off a career year is going to attract a lot of attention. I really do not see a chance that we can resign him for less than $10M/year...and that is considering him giving GB a hometown discount to remain with a title contender. I would not be surprised to see him walk for an offer in the range of $50M over 4 years. There are not many pass rushers on the healthy side of 30 in this year's FA crop...guys who post double digit sacks get paid a lot of money in this league. (i.e. Clay)

I also see Lacy and Starks as departures...and I can't see Thompson going into camp with only Monty and a bunch of unproven RBs as ballcarriers. What is the consensus on how we approach the RB position if in fact Lacy is not retained? Does Thompson take a chance on Peterson if he becomes available? He likely won't attract much interest in free agency due to age and the fact few contending teams have a gaping hole at RB like the Packers do. He fits the profile of an aging uber athlete that Ted doesn't mind taking a chance on when the price is right, although the fact he's a RB will test Ted's better judgment.
    Anything can happen. Only one desperate team is needed to give Perry dumb money. But if there are others in the market (JPP, Campbell, etc.) the odds decline.

And his history is mixed, lack of production alongside injuries. So you have to have a lot of players off the board to get him to your #1 candidate.

In fact, despite being his #1 cheerleader on this site, even I have mixed feeling about counting on him for a big 4 year deal. I am hoping that Ted can keep it below $9 mil per year and have a consequence free structure that allows him to be dumped after Year 2 of this deal.

I don't think Lacy gets big money at all. Unlike Perry, there is no premium on his position.

https://twitter.com/Lil_Eazy_Ana_42/...69629253722115

Lacy working out in water at Alabama.

Anything can happen. Only one desperate team is needed to give Perry dumb money. But if there are others in the market (JPP, Campbell, etc.) the odds decline.
    Sorry...too many teams sitting around with $50M+ in cap space to think Perry is going to be gotten for anything less than $10M per year.

Quote Originally Posted by Pugger View Post
    I doubt Starks will be back but I don't see a big market for Lacy so he should return. Peterson will cost too much and his style of play isn't a good fit for our offense.
    I agree that Peterson's style doesn't seem to fit with ours, but due to his age, I'm not sure he can handle his own style anymore. At this point, he would probably be a better fit as a back in our offense...where he won't carry the ball 25 times a game, but will get a fair number of touches and still earns the respect of the defense enough to open up the passing game. Even at 32, Peterson will be a threat on the edge...as a runner or receiver.

I also don't see a big market for Lacy...but I'm not sure he even wants to come back to Green Bay. To me, his style is even less of a fit for our offense than Peterson would be. Lacy is a guy who has to run the ball 25 times and wear down a defense...and we will NEVER do that.

I also don't see a big market for Lacy...but I'm not sure he even wants to come back to Green Bay. To me, his style is even less of a fit for our offense than Peterson would be. Lacy is a guy who has to run the ball 25 times and wear down a defense...and we will NEVER do that.
    Lacy doesn't need 25 carries to be successful. In 2014 he averaged 15 carries and 3 receptions per game. He had almost 1600 total yards and 13 TD's. His running style isn't typical for a big back.

https://twitter.com/Lil_Eazy_Ana_42/...69629253722115

Lacy working out in water at Alabama.
    He looks to be moving pretty well in that short clip.

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    Lacy doesn't need 25 carries to be successful. In 2014 he averaged 15 carries and 3 receptions per game. He had almost 1600 total yards and 13 TD's. His running style isn't typical for a big back.
    This past season before he reinjured his ankle he was averaging over 5 yards a carry.

I agree that Peterson's style doesn't seem to fit with ours, but due to his age, I'm not sure he can handle his own style anymore. At this point, he would probably be a better fit as a back in our offense...where he won't carry the ball 25 times a game, but will get a fair number of touches and still earns the respect of the defense enough to open up the passing game. Even at 32, Peterson will be a threat on the edge...as a runner or receiver.

Hes one of the worst receiving backs I've ever seen. And that's after improving over his career. He's also awful in pass protection. He's the opposite of what the Packers need at RB. Packers need a William Henderson clone.

Podcast from editor of Packers Report dot com. http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2...und-draft-pick

Connor Barwin edition. In order:

1. Claims to have started the rumors now running rampant on internet
    2. Claims NJ story that Packers are one of three teams interested in trading for him was independent report. Believes this because who would listen to a Packer Report podcast?
    3. Immediate regret and then mid life crisis about whether to sell out and go click bait next time when first reporting Connor Barwin might interest the Packers if released.
    4. ACTUAL INFORMATION FROM SOURCE who says Connor Barwin is out of gas. Then good discussion about whether Barwin was miscast in Schwartz's 4-3 Defense.
    5. Acknowledges that Barwin would LIKE to come to Green Bay if the Eagles trade/release him.
    6. Full circle, this is how an agent uses the press against itself to promote his client.
    Last edited by pbmax; 02-23-2017 at 08:51 AM.