Page 9 of 33 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 19 ... LastLast

Thread: Packers' Off Season Moves and 2017 Roster

Zach Kruse @zachkruse2
    Mounting evidence that J.C. Tretter will be very costly for #Packers to bring back. He's highly regarded and hardly a secret.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Who is Zach Kruse?

Quote Originally Posted by Pugger View Post
    Who is Zach Kruse?
    That is a great question. he works for Bleacher Report, but unsure if he is paid. He also writes for one of the USAToday blogs.

I *think* he is Dennis Krause's son. Dennis is a sports broadcaster in Milwaukee at Time Warner Cable Sports Channel 32. He used to work for WTMJ. He does Bucks home games and used to do Packer pregame on the radio.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Bill Barnwell's plan of attack in offseason. http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/page...-nfl-offseason

1. Re-sign Cook and Lang. Makes case for Cook, doesn't for Lang.

2. Re-sign Peppers and DON'T re-sign Perry. Thinks Perry's injury history is more important than last year. But last year is going to net him $10 mil per.

3. Find a cornerback. Maybe even FA. Correctly predicts House getting released by Jags.

4. Find another inside linebacker.

5. Get starting RB like, say, Adrian Peterson.

i don't see peterson having much if anything left in the tank. he looked very pedestrian against us early this year

he played 2 full game before he got hurt and he averaged less then 2 yards per carry

he's 31, and has missed almost 2 full seasons of the last 3

plus his one full season, 2 seasons ago, he only averaged 4.5 yards per carry, he just had huge numbers because thy gave him the ball 327 times, he probably won't get within 100 carries of that in green bay

whats left of AP is a far cry from the AP in his prime. i think i would rather roll the dice on fat eddy getting in shape to be honest

and if tretter is gonna cost a ton (close to what lang would cost), then i would stick with lang

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    Bill Barnwell's plan of attack in offseason. http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/page...-nfl-offseason

1. Re-sign Cook and Lang. Makes case for Cook, doesn't for Lang.

2. Re-sign Peppers and DON'T re-sign Perry. Thinks Perry's injury history is more important than last year. But last year is going to net him $10 mil per.

3. Find a cornerback. Maybe even FA. Correctly predicts House getting released by Jags.

4. Find another inside linebacker.

5. Get starting RB like, say, Adrian Peterson.

Eliminate #5, and I concur completely. And now that I think about it, if we could get Peterson for cheap enough or an incentive-laden enough contract, it might be an interesting risk, considering how he bounced back from that previous knee injury and how he thrived so well on the Vikings, he might just be something really special playing with Aaron Rodgers.
    What could be more GOOD and NORMAL and AMERICAN than Packer Football?

Quote Originally Posted by texaspackerbacker View Post
    Eliminate #5, and I concur completely. And now that I think about it, if we could get Peterson for cheap enough or an incentive-laden enough contract, it might be an interesting risk, considering how he bounced back from that previous knee injury and how he thrived so well on the Vikings, he might just be something really special playing with Aaron Rodgers.
    I think AP will do well with whatever new team he ends up with as he is the type to want to prove something. Well as long as said team isn't the Browns.

Quote Originally Posted by red View Post
    and if tretter is gonna cost a ton (close to what lang would cost), then i would stick with lang
    Lang has a lot more miles on his body than Tretter, and his injuries are chronic - they are not going to go away. Lineman can play well into their 30s though so he might have some years left.

Tretter on the other hand has not seen the field much and I don't think is injuries are going to nag/linger. Question is does the dreaded 'injury prone' label apply?
    --
    Imagine for a moment a world without hypothetical situations...

Quote Originally Posted by red View Post
    i think i would rather roll the dice on fat eddy getting in shape to be honest
    I honestly would too...I'm just convinced that Lacy isn't going to want to come back to Green Bay enough to give us a hometown discount, and Ted's too tight to give Lacy market value.
    It's such a GOOD feeling...13 TIME WORLD CHAMPIONS!!

I'd be happy with resigning Cook, Perry, Lang or Tretter; signing a FA CB; drafting OLB, another CB, and RB; maybe get a veteran RB (Lacy, Stewart, Peterson, Charles, Murray) if we can get good value. Top priority is getting CB fixed and restocking OLB.
    "There's a lot of interest in the draft. It's great. But quite frankly, most of the people that are commenting on it don't know anything about what they are talking about."--Ted Thompson

Wolf Pack Rat HOFer Deputy Nutz's Avatar
    The offensive line needs depth especially if Tretter and Lang do not resign. I would think that they would give Barclay a shot at guard, but possibly move Bulaga inside and try Spriggs at Right Tackle.
    Then look for the Packers to snag a couple of linemen no sooner than the middle of the draft.

Perry is going to cost an awful lot of money. Based on his production on the last 5 years he isn't worth it, but since the 2015 playoffs he has been a difference maker off the edge. I don't put a lot of faith that a guy like Frackrell is ready to start, and Peppers could be signed for a million bucks but he is no longer a difference maker that has to be accounted for by opposing offenses. Jones has also been a disappointment and the fact they can't find a position for him means he should look to move to a 4-3 defensive scheme as an end. The is a more serious situation that to me is more of an issue than cornerback. They have to get players that can consistently disrupt the passing game.

our o-line is one of our strengths. would be stupid to go backwards there. perry too. jones is playing a new position and from EVERYTHING i've read they liked what he did there. i'll bet he's resigned. if he isn't that will probably be where the first pick goes.

Quote Originally Posted by Deputy Nutz View Post
    The offensive line needs depth especially if Tretter and Lang do not resign. I would think that they would give Barclay a shot at guard, but possibly move Bulaga inside and try Spriggs at Right Tackle.
    Then look for the Packers to snag a couple of linemen no sooner than the middle of the draft.

Perry is going to cost an awful lot of money. Based on his production on the last 5 years he isn't worth it, but since the 2015 playoffs he has been a difference maker off the edge. I don't put a lot of faith that a guy like Frackrell is ready to start, and Peppers could be signed for a million bucks but he is no longer a difference maker that has to be accounted for by opposing offenses. Jones has also been a disappointment and the fact they can't find a position for him means he should look to move to a 4-3 defensive scheme as an end. The is a more serious situation that to me is more of an issue than cornerback. They have to get players that can consistently disrupt the passing game.
    Right on. Not sure what will happen with Tretter. He might bee back. Perry.... hope it's reasonable.

Tretter has been done in by three serious injuries, but I am not sure he could be called injury prone. He had a freak accident during a fumble drill in offseason camp his rookie year. He got rolled into this year at Atlanta. His other bad injury was in a preseason game, another knee injury.

Unless those knees are toast, that seems like luck of the draw. So by that logic, I want Tretter signed over Lang. And with Lang having no communication from the team, that still seems to be the Packers way of thinking too. Its not a perfect fit, since if Lang doesn't come back, right guard is wide open.

Thompson isn't clairvoyant, he played the odds with Sitton and it looked like a good bet when he got hurt this year and Taylor did not washout. I think he is making the same calculation here.

As for Perry, here are the top DEs by paycheck at SpotTrac:
    Code:
    Rank	Name		AverageSal	ApproxValue
    1	M Wilkerson	$18,000,000	60
    2	O Vernon	$16,000,000	39
    3	J.J. Watt	$14,500,000	88
    4	E Ansah		$12,734,000	32
    5	Cam Jordan	$12,047,000	42
    6	M Bennett	$11,268,750	20
    7	Rob Quinn	$10,750,334	41
    8	Mike Daniels	$10,400,000	27
    9	Cam Heyward	$10,400,000	27
    Approximate Value is from Pro Football Reference and in this list covers first five years of careers since 2008. Nick Perry's approx. value is 16. He got 6 of that last year.

He might get stupid money (largely dependent on who doesn't sign or get tendered just prior to FA opening) but its not going to be more than $10.7 mil per year unless he is the only one left standing.
    Last edited by pbmax; 02-24-2017 at 12:52 PM.

Oracle Rat HOFer Cheesehead Craig's Avatar
    The thing is, there's one team that does have stupid money, Cleveland. It will be real interesting if they go out and just blow the market up on FAs from playoff teams like the Pack.
    All hail the Ruler of the Meadow!

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesehead Craig View Post
    The thing is, there's one team that does have stupid money, Cleveland. It will be real interesting if they go out and just blow the market up on FAs from playoff teams like the Pack.
    Yes, but he still isn't first on the list. There are six other guys who have to get signed before he is the first call. And of those, only Ingram is mentioned at DE/OLB as getting tagged.

Oracle Rat HOFer Cheesehead Craig's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    Yes, but he still isn't first on the list. There are six other guys who have to get signed before he is the first call. And of those, only Ingram is mentioned at DE/OLB as getting tagged.
    Yeah, but Cleveland ain't known for going after the list from the top down. They tend to throw a dart and a list and go after that guy.
    All hail the Ruler of the Meadow!

former director of college scouting for the 9ers just signed with the pack

Matt Malaspina

maybe he knows how to find d-linemen and linebackers

Don't sell Peppers too short. He reminds me of that country song, "I ain't as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was."

Unless he's firm on retiring, I hope we can re-sign him for situation player money.
    What could be more GOOD and NORMAL and AMERICAN than Packer Football?