Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 2017 Franchise and Transition Tags

2017 Franchise and Transition Tags

No numbers per position yet, but here are some odds to use when assessing who will actually be Free Agents this March. Speculation from CBS and Jason LaCanfora.

1. Kirk Cousins, franchise - 100%
    2. Chandler Jones, franchise, - 100%
    3. Kawaan Short, franchise - 100%
    4. Le'Veon Bell - franchise - 90%
    5. CB Truman Johnson - franchise - 75%
    6. Melvin Ingram - either - 75%
    7. Terrelle Pryor - either - 75%
    8. S Eric Berry and DT Dontari Poe, franchise one or the other - 50/50/100%
    9. Dont’a Hightower, franchise, 25%
    10. CB A.J. Buoy, franchise, 25%

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/es...ne-cold-locks/
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    No numbers per position yet, but here are some odds to use when assessing who will actually be Free Agents this March. Speculation from CBS and Jason LaCanfora.

1. Kirk Cousins, franchise - 100%
    2. Chandler Jones, franchise, - 100%
    3. Kawaan Short, franchise - 100%
    4. Le'Veon Bell - franchise - 90%
    5. CB Truman Johnson - franchise - 75%
    6. Melvin Ingram - either - 75%
    7. Terrelle Pryor - either - 75%
    8. S Eric Berry and DT Dontari Poe, franchise one or the other - 50/50/100%
    9. Dont’a Hightower, franchise, 25%
    10. CB A.J. Buoy, franchise, 25%

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/es...ne-cold-locks/
    something tells me Cousins won't see the franchise tag.
    --
    Imagine for a moment a world without hypothetical situations...

Quote Originally Posted by Guiness View Post
    But then you would expect him to sign with Washington right?
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    But then you would expect him to sign with Washington right?
    they just can't commit to him, even though hes the best QB they've had in forever

so they keep holding out thinking they'll somehow find an elite QB. in the meantime they keep having to pay him elite money while they make up their minds

Quote Originally Posted by red View Post
    they just can't commit to him, even though hes the best QB they've had in forever

so they keep holding out thinking they'll somehow find an elite QB. in the meantime they keep having to pay him elite money while they make up their minds
    Bingo.

The money just seems too much and creates an impasse. He has no reason to sign until tagged, and the tag makes him prohibitively expensive because he'll want that amount per year. They've screwed the pooch on this one and are really painted into a corner. I think they have to let him test the open market, and there all bets are off as to where he ends up.
    --

didn't larry fitzgerald go down the same way?

they tagged him twice, then he ended up with an insane contract that crippled the team for years

Bingo.

The money just seems too much and creates an impasse. He has no reason to sign until tagged, and the tag makes him prohibitively expensive because he'll want that amount per year. They've screwed the pooch on this one and are really painted into a corner. I think they have to let him test the open market, and there all bets are off as to where he ends up.
    There are lots of reports, including by LaCanfora, that they are prepared to live with the tag one more year.

But that does leave open your question, whether they really want him on a long term deal or they are just biding their time and trying to not angering him enough to hold out.

Chandler Jones tagged. Kawaan Short tagged. Both got franchise.

Ian RapoportVerified account‏@RapSheet 2m2 minutes ago
    The #Steelers have placed the exclusive franchise tag on RB Le'Veon Bell, source says. Same number as non-exclusive tag.

Adam Schefter @AdamSchefter
    Top pass rushers - JPP, Melvin Ingram, Chandler Jones, Kawann Short - basically off the market. So much for that.

Not quite there yet, but ...

Adam Schefter‏Verified account @AdamSchefter 51m51 minutes ago
    Giants expected to use franchise tag on Jason Pierre-Paul by Wednesday if two sides cannot reach long-term deal by then, per league sources.

Adam Schefter‏Verified account @AdamSchefter 5h5 hours ago
    Other players expected to be tagged by Wednesday deadline include Kirk Cousins, Le'Veon Bell, Kawann Short, Melvin Ingram, Trumaine Johnson.

So only two pass rushers have tags applied yet (CJones and Short). If Ingram gets tagged, then Perry might be best combo OLB/DE left on board. Not only pass rush though, as there are DEs and DTs left.

The question is where does the market land? We need to know the actual tag number and someone needs to sign a deal. That way we know whether the tags are high end of market or low end this year.

Jason La Canfora

Chargers have tagged Melvin Ingram according to a league source. Made the move official tonite

NY Post

As @ProFootballTalk reported, Giants will place franchise tag on Jason Pierre-Paul. Official transaction takes place tomorrow.

Cousins got the tag, around 22 million. On mike and mike, they just said that if he gets tagged next year, or just signs a so-so deal, he will make more over 3 years then any other player in history

Not bad for a non elite player

Quote Originally Posted by red View Post
    Cousins got the tag, around 22 million. On mike and mike, they just said that if he gets tagged next year, or just signs a so-so deal, he will make more over 3 years then any other player in history

Not bad for a non elite player
    Not saying it won't happen, but tag for Cousins has not been announced yet. This is his second tag. Another year of tag (the last possible I think) would be prohibitive if its the franchise level (44% increase in year 3) and only marginally acceptable under the transition take (22% increase).

That is where red and Mike and Mike are getting those huge first two year numbers for Cousins. And its what gives him a lit of leverage over a trade now.

Cousins officially tagged with exclusive franchise designation.

Kirk Cousins‏ @KirkCousins8 51m51 minutes ago
    Tag! I'm it!

Adam Schefter‏Verified account @AdamSchefter 35m35 minutes ago
    Washington placed exclusive franchise tag on Kirk Cousins.

Adam Rank‏ @adamrank 16m16 minutes ago
    Paying $24M for Kirk Cousins is akin to paying $11 for an airport beer. I mean, you don't want to pay that much, but you have no choice.

He will pocket at least 44 million over the last two seasons now

It could still go up if he signs a new deal. 24 million for this season is now the starting point for any new deal

Eric Berry signing with Cheifs. Dontari Poe likely to get tagged.

Ian Rapoport @RapSheet

Sources: The #Chiefs & S Eric Berry are finalizing a 6-year deal worth $78M. It makes him the highest paid safety in the @NFL. Well-deserved

donta hightower is free. ne will not franchise him. hmmm

Quote Originally Posted by gbgary View Post
    donta hightower is free. ne will not franchise him. hmmm
    Interesting. Bet he wants to return though. He will soak up some FA dollars though.

oops?

I wonder if this is tag and trade to SF or if Washington wants him?
    --