Thread: 2017 Franchise and Transition Tags

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    Cousins future deals get even more absurd (same Yahoo article as above):
    Something brought up in that quote, and I always see when talking about a player (maybe potentially) getting tagged multiple times, a line similar to this one
    That would put Cousins at likely more than $93.89 million in guaranteed money for four years of work.
    It wasn't guaranteed for four years, that's the point. The tag is four 1 year deals!!!
    --
    Imagine for a moment a world without hypothetical situations...

Quote Originally Posted by Guiness View Post
    Something brought up in that quote, and I always see when talking about a player (maybe potentially) getting tagged multiple times, a line similar to this one
    That would put Cousins at likely more than $93.89 million in guaranteed money for four years of work.
    It wasn't guaranteed for four years, that's the point. The tag is four 1 year deals!!!
    Yeah, from the players perspective, the tag is 50% less (roughly) of the guarantee and less than half the length. So there is some definite downside for Cousins.

I think that is why the article points out that the Redskins last year could have signed him for less than those numbers, because doing year by year franchise deals wasn't really his ideal plan either.

But since its happened, it favors the player if he is healthy.

Washington, despite paying a boatload, has no control over the asset long term and no cost savings. They are paying a premium to be able to treat him as replacement level.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    Yeah, from the players perspective, the tag is 50% less (roughly) of the guarantee and less than half the length. So there is some definite downside for Cousins.

I think that is why the article points out that the Redskins last year could have signed him for less than those numbers, because doing year by year franchise deals wasn't really his ideal plan either.

But since its happened, it favors the player if he is healthy.

Washington, despite paying a boatload, has no control over the asset long term and no cost savings. They are paying a premium to be able to treat him as replacement level.
    He's been lucky in that he's stayed healthy and has continued to play well. In that situation, the tag definitely favours the player.
    --
    Imagine for a moment a world without hypothetical situations...