Thread: 2017 Dumb Things I Read

2017 Dumb Things I Read

A bold statement that helpfully refutes itself in the third clause:

Thompson has never picked a back in the first round, and the Packers haven’t taken one there since 1990, but he will have to consider one early in the draft if Lacy leaves in free agency.
    http://www.espn.com/blog/green-bay-p...at-the-combine
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

I think it's dumb taking a rb in the first round

I think the chances of finding a good rb in the 4th right undo is about as good as finding one in the first

before i read your post (and had only read the topic title) i was going to post that there were draft experts projecting the Packers taking a rb. enough said.

Quote Originally Posted by red View Post
    I think it's dumb taking a rb in the first round

I think the chances of finding a good rb in the 4th right undo is about as good as finding one in the first
    The only time you take RB in the first if if he is another Ezekiel Elliott.

Quote Originally Posted by Pugger View Post
    The only time you take RB in the first if if he is another Ezekiel Elliott.
    or adrian peterson, i was gonna say the exact same thing

On the other hand, I wouldn't mind if TT said he was considering a RB in the first round, just to see if someone drafting ahead of the Packers will get nervous and use a pick on a back, giving Ted a better chance on a guy he really wants.
    Fire Murphy, Gute, MLF, Barry, Senavich, etc!

http://www.packersnews.com/story/spo...lors/99120766/

At first I thought it was just the Twitter summary or headline. But no the article claims the following:

Either the Green Bay Packers are extremely cocky or they know the free-agent market as well or better than anybody in the NFL.
    Evidence for this?

1. Not signing Micah Hyde for $6 mil per year.
    2. Low balling Lang and Lacy
    3. Signing Nick Perry
    4. Not agreeing to Cook's terms
    5. Signing Bennett and Kendricks

Do you see a pattern in this? I do, but it isn't what Spoon is seeing. I see a team that still values talent and youth more than age and experience.

Spoon gives up some of the counter criticism
    1. Perry has been as productive as Chandler Jones, who was supposed to get a franchise tag over the last year
    2. Hyde doesn't play man defense well with a lack of speed
    3. Bennett, more talented than Cook while a bit older, signed for just over what Doyle got from the Colts
    4. Cook's agent pulled out of talks

He judges Tretter and Peppers as wanting to leave, meaning a premium would need to be paid to keep either. OK, I can work with that.

I do think Lang harbors so ill will toward the negotiating stance this time around. This was clear last August when it was announced they were at the end of the list for getting new deals done after younger players Bach and Perry and a TE. Forgoing hip surgery in a contract year though, while brave and risky, was not just for the Packers benefit, playing well under that condition would drive Lang's value. If he sat out 2016, he risked not getting the same offers.

If I were a vet looking for a 3rd deal, I would expect a tough row to hoe in Green Bay. But Lang was not complaining about loyalty in his 2nd contract and the Packers knew he could get more elsewhere if they were playing the "look at our coach, QB and facilities" card.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Wolf Pack Rat HOFer Deputy Nutz's Avatar
    I wouldn't have given Micah Hyde 2 million a year. He lacked coverage skills, quickness, speed, and isn't a great tackler.
    He made the pick six against Dallas and I think that is why he got the attention in Free Agency

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    http://www.packersnews.com/story/spo...lors/99120766/

At first I thought it was just the Twitter summary or headline. But no the article claims the following:

Evidence for this?

1. Not signing Micah Hyde for $6 mil per year.
    2. Low balling Lang and Lacy
    3. Signing Nick Perry
    4. Not agreeing to Cook's terms
    5. Signing Bennett and Kendricks

Do you see a pattern in this? I do, but it isn't what Spoon is seeing. I see a team that still values talent and youth more than age and experience.

Spoon gives up some of the counter criticism
    1. Perry has been as productive as Chandler Jones, who was supposed to get a franchise tag over the last year
    2. Hyde doesn't play man defense well with a lack of speed
    3. Bennett, more talented than Cook while a bit older, signed for just over what Doyle got from the Colts
    4. Cook's agent pulled out of talks

He judges Tretter and Peppers as wanting to leave, meaning a premium would need to be paid to keep either. OK, I can work with that.

I do think Lang harbors so ill will toward the negotiating stance this time around. This was clear last August when it was announced they were at the end of the list for getting new deals done after younger players Bach and Perry and a TE. Forgoing hip surgery in a contract year though, while brave and risky, was not just for the Packers benefit, playing well under that condition would drive Lang's value. If he sat out 2016, he risked not getting the same offers.

If I were a vet looking for a 3rd deal, I would expect a tough row to hoe in Green Bay. But Lang was not complaining about loyalty in his 2nd contract and the Packers knew he could get more elsewhere if they were playing the "look at our coach, QB and facilities" card.
    For me, it was the fascinating shift in how TT's portrayed regarding free agency that was the dumbest part of it all. In the past, as we are all well aware, Ted was portrayed as this uninterested, draft-only guy - he just wasn't interested in free agency until it got to cheap, late pickings. The only guys he really cared about signing were ones he picked. Ted was afraid or unwilling to look at free agency outside of re-signing his own free agents.So Ted was often portrayed as kind of sleeping through the "big name" period of free agency, dundering along while other teams picked up the really talented guys.

Now, suddenly, Ted is a cagey, cocky, manipulative bastard who isn't loyal to his own guys. He didn't even make an offer to Micah Hyde! He ditched TJ Lang! He jerked around Jared Cook and signed Martellus Bennett instead! What a manipulative jerk!

It's enough to make my head spin. If Ted shitted out gold-standard players, the writers would find a way to make that seem bad.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Wolf Pack Rat HOFer Deputy Nutz's Avatar
    I love the Bennett signing. Cook certainly doesn't deserve the same kind of money. It was smart move by Thompson. You have to go way back to Charles Woodson to compliment Thompson on a free agent signing this good. Bennett could be an All Pro playing with Aaron Rodgers.

I don't ask for loyalty out of the GM any more. If Thompson could trade Favre then who really gives a shit about Lang, Hyde, Tretter, and Lacy?

Senior Rat HOFer Carolina_Packer's Avatar
    We'll never really know which one is closer to the real TT that you describe above, Fritz. He has been more like the former than the latter, and he's definitely not as loquacious as Ron Wolf or even Sherman, explaining his rationale. His cards are as close to his vest as you can get them.

I think he's very pragmatic and has a cap number in his head and perhaps even some wiggle room if the player's agent balks. Also, here's another new wrinkle in this process. How many of his picks have gotten to this point where anyone really wanted them, or he didn't resign them? The last ones I recall the fans sweating over are Bulaga and Cobb; both resigned. Sure, there have been players allowed to walk, but none that come to mind immediately that are typically signed within the first week of free agency. Aside from QB, how many Packer players get a third contract? Good on Lang. He earned his pay day. Lacy and Hyde were just questionable. They are talented, but not worth protecting at the price that other teams were willing to pay. Again, we don't normally have free agents get snatched up this quickly or have other teams outbid the Packers for their services. Good for the players. Good for TT not overpaying to keep them if his evaluation said otherwise.
    "Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." -Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Quote Originally Posted by Carolina_Packer View Post
    We'll never really know which one is closer to the real TT that you describe above, Fritz. He has been more like the former than the latter, and he's definitely not as loquacious as Ron Wolf or even Sherman, explaining his rationale. His cards are as close to his vest as you can get them.

I think he's very pragmatic and has a cap number in his head and perhaps even some wiggle room if the player's agent balks ~snip~ Good for TT not overpaying to keep them if his evaluation said otherwise.
    Exactly. Writers have always explained that he has a budget and sticks to that number when negotiating. There is nothing new here. Especially on a third contract. he has had 2nd contract guys like Perry get near FA (Cobb) and paid market rate. But 3rd contract? Nope.

Other than the QB, the only one I can think of is Clifton.