Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Defensive needs, in order.....

Defensive needs, in order.....

Cornerback - I'm of the opinion that Randall is going to have a bounce back season. I see his talent and playmaking ability and saw him slowed by injury. But Gunter is what he is and he's slow. I don't see that working out ever. We need a #1 corner!

OLB - with the loss of Peppers, we need another pass rusher to spell 52 and 53.

ILB - our inside linebacker group is a bunch of blah. They never force a fumble and rarely breakup passes. Yuck. We need a beast flying around in the middle of our defense.

Cornerback - Rollins has never looked good outside whether injured or not and Hyde is more of a ST player who fills in at a bunch of spots on defense. We need real corners. Maybe one of these young guys develop, but I'm not counting on it.

DL - Daniels is a rock. Clark looks like he could develop into a real powerful guy. Guion is serviceable. Lowry was surprisingly active and should develop. Could always use another DL though.

Safety - we're alright at safety and Brice looks talented as a backup. If you can find a stud safety though, shit, Burnett is alright but I'd be happy to upgrade. I actually liked him better as a LB or slot guy.

Our best defensive players were, this year, in order:

Daniels
    Clinton Dix
    Perry
    Burnett (only because he's steady and reliable)
    Peppers (as a situational player)
    Matthews (in a couple flash situations, but he's been hobbled)

Honestly, did anyone else make a play? We should get some development out of Randall, Clark, Brice, ILB group, Lowry and many of the seemingly dozen other rookies/2nd year injured on defense.

But we have very little talent on defense. I think that is clear. We might have to make one decent FA move, get some development and have a really good draft. It's gonna take a big off season to fix that defense. The offense carried us.

I put Randall at or near the bottom of the bunch we have at Corner. Getting a real quality Corner to pair with Gunter would really be nice. Rollins might improve; Hyde does a lot with limited talent and is decent as a 3rd or 4th Corner/back up Safety. Hawkins is the question mark; He might be a keeper like Gunter but with more speed - or not.

You nailed it on ILBs. Honestly, I still like Clay there.

We need to use Jayrone Elliot more at OLB. Also, I'm not all that negative about Fackrell.

If there's any hope at all that Ted gets off his ass and signs a decent free agent, a proven cover corner would be the place to invest the money we supposedly have.

You pretty much nailed it on D Linemen also; Safety too.
    What could be more GOOD and NORMAL and AMERICAN than Packer Football?

Wolf Pack Rat HOFer Deputy Nutz's Avatar
    Randall will be fine, he had surgery on his groin midway through the season. I am sure that does something to your ability to play cornerback. If Gunter was so bad then why was covering the teams number one receiver? He isn't a number one guy, but he will be in a position to start next season.

Also Matthews is fucking terrible. 13 million for that guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Deputy Nutz View Post
    Randall will be fine, he had surgery on his groin midway through the season. I am sure that does something to your ability to play cornerback. If Gunter was so bad then why was covering the teams number one receiver? He isn't a number one guy, but he will be in a position to start next season.

Gunter played better than Randall or anyone this year. Can't help but think that 4.7 speed is a liability. He does everything right but gets beat. Randall had been a mess this year but when healthy shows big play ability. I hope I'm wrong and I hope Gunter destroys my viewpoint!!

so does that also explain why he sucked so bad before the groin injury?

the injury is a nice excuse to use for him halfway through a shitty year, but the fact of the matter is he looks just as bad and lost before that injury

in week 2 he began to look like the player he has become today

Agreed on Matthews production. Its an amount of money that is probably better spent on pass rushing that works from the LOS.

Randall has some things to square away beside the groin, he had a couple of bad outings early too. But between the groin and his knee, he was not the same guy at the ned of the season.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Hyde should get a shout out in Justin's list.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by red View Post
    so does that also explain why he sucked so bad before the groin injury?

the injury is a nice excuse to use for him halfway through a shitty year, but the fact of the matter is he looks just as bad and lost before that injury

in week 2 he began to look like the player he has become today
    He missed week 4 and 5 with the groin injury tried to play week 6 and tore it again breaking up a pass and was gone until week 12. I am sure you were also one of the fans that decided to burn Adams at the stake last year as well.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    Hyde should get a shout out in Justin's list.
    Hyde made a couple of nice plays against Dallas, but also made some horrible choices in that game as well. Both went for touchdowns. He sold out on the run and over pursued on play action on the Bryant touchdown. Gunter had coverage to the outside with Hyde on the inside. Hyde was no where to be found. In fact you can re-watch it and see Hyde completely lost in the middle of the field.

Hyde made a couple of nice plays against Dallas, but also made some horrible choices in that game as well. Both went for touchdowns. He sold out on the run and over pursued on play action on the Bryant touchdown. Gunter had coverage to the outside with Hyde on the inside. Hyde was no where to be found. In fact you can re-watch it and see Hyde completely lost in the middle of the field.
    I remember that. But I also remember him coming up big versus the Giants.

He is almost not a starter because of his limitations. He's not Jarret Bush, but you want him for a utility role not a starting CB or safety. His value is in versatility.

Just playing devil's advocate here. is Clay worth anything in a trade?

Quote Originally Posted by Rutnstrut View Post
    Just playing devil's advocate here. is Clay worth anything in a trade?
    If the payout next year on Clay's contract is over 15 million as has been reported, I don't believe so. The question is, does he re-do his contract for less, which he has no obligation to do, does he become a cap casualty, or do we pay him and hope for 15 million in production?

What about a DC? lol
    C.H.U.D.

No way does Matthews redo that deal without new money or some extraordinary circumstance.

He's coming off injury and a move to ILB, he doesn't want to be on the market this year.

I do think he works better as a ILB/rover.

He missed week 4 and 5 with the groin injury tried to play week 6 and tore it again breaking up a pass and was gone until week 12. I am sure you were also one of the fans that decided to burn Adams at the stake last year as well.
    And Nick Collins after 2 seasons.
    I don't hold Grudges. It's counterproductive.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    No way does Matthews redo that deal without new money or some extraordinary circumstance.

He's coming off injury and a move to ILB, he doesn't want to be on the market this year.

I do think he works better as a ILB/rover.
    That is leverage to get him to redo the deal. On the open market he won't make much. Offer him a haircut (fiscally) or cut him. I honestly don't think cutting him makes that D any worse than it was this year. Given his age, production, injury history, I honestly wouldn't be pissed to part ways if he won't take a cut that opens more cap room to sign an FA corner.
    I don't hold Grudges. It's counterproductive.

I have always thought and said many times that Clay is overrated and extremely over paid. He's not worth even half of what they are paying him.

packers have zero leverage with clay

Quote Originally Posted by bobblehead View Post
    And Nick Collins after 2 seasons.
    nick collins didn't regress after his rookie year, BEFORE THE INJURIES